jaialai_technology

Default vegetarian sources of some nutrients?

I have been tracking my nutrient cinsumotion via the
http://www.fitday.com online eating journal.
It seems that I am a little deficient in:
Vitamin D, Zinc, Selenium, Calcium, and Magnesium

What are some good vegetarian sources of these nutrients? Anyone have
some good foods/recipes to suggest that cover these?
Dairy/Eggs are ok
jmk

On 1/27/2005 12:16 AM, jaialai_technology wrote:
> I have been tracking my nutrient cinsumotion via the
> http://www.fitday.com online eating journal.
> It seems that I am a little deficient in:
> Vitamin D, Zinc, Selenium, Calcium, and Magnesium
>
> What are some good vegetarian sources of these nutrients? Anyone have
> some good foods/recipes to suggest that cover these?
> Dairy/Eggs are ok

Try going to http://www.nutritiondata.com/index.html and using the
Nutrient Search Tool (http://www.nutritiondata.com/nutrient-search.html).

I hope this helps!

--
jmk in NC
The Gist

jmk wrote:

> Try going to http://www.nutritiondata.com/index.html and using the
> Nutrient Search Tool (http://www.nutritiondata.com/nutrient-search.html).
>
> I hope this helps!

That definitly does. Thanks for the tip.
It would be nice, however, if they had a single "all vegeterian" or "all
vegan" option in addition to the other various food categories. I'll
send the suggestion onto them, for whatever that is worth.
Steve

http://www.veganoutreach.org/shv/

--

Steve

Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

Steve's Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"
jaialai_technology

Steve wrote:
> jaialai_technology wrote:
>
>> I have been tracking my nutrient cinsumotion via the
>> http://www.fitday.com online eating journal.
>> It seems that I am a little deficient in:
>> Vitamin D, Zinc, Selenium, Calcium, and Magnesium
>>
>> What are some good vegetarian sources of these nutrients? Anyone have
>> some good foods/recipes to suggest that cover these?
>> Dairy/Eggs are ok

> http://www.veganoutreach.org/shv/

Your link is broken. After some investifation t seems that the true link
is http://www.veganhealth.org/shv/ .
You probably should've tested it before posting.

jaialai_technology

> Your link is broken. After some investifation t seems that the true link
> is http://www.veganhealth.org/shv/ .
> You probably should've tested it before posting.

Nonetheless, however, that site is *very* informative. Thanks for the
pointer!!
Will Yardley

On 2005-01-27, jaialai_technology > wrote:

> I have been tracking my nutrient cinsumotion via the
> http://www.fitday.com online eating journal.
> It seems that I am a little deficient in:
> Vitamin D, Zinc, Selenium, Calcium, and Magnesium
>
> What are some good vegetarian sources of these nutrients? Anyone have
> some good foods/recipes to suggest that cover these?

In addition to the other links, I'd suggest having a look at:
http://vrg.org/nutrition/index.htm

Also, I wouldn't put /too/ much stock in an assessment like this - talk
to your doctor or a nutritionist (and maybe have some blood work done)
if you're concerned about missing certain nutrients. You might consider
taking supplements if you're really worried - but most importantly,
think about how you FEEL. There are some nutrients that you definitely
have to make sure you're getting enough of... but also remember to
consider whether or not you feel healthy.

w/r/t vitamin d, it's in a lot of enriched milk products (you mentioned
that you eat dairy), and it's also in some enriched soy milk products.

Regarding calcium, aside from dairy, tofu (processed w/ calcium
sulfate), dark leafy greens (kale, collards) are good bets - see the
calcium section of the link above for more info, I'd also have a read
of the section in the calcium article on the influence of excessive
protein (esp. animal protein).

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum

jaialai_technology wrote:

> I have been tracking my nutrient cinsumotion via the
> http://www.fitday.com online eating journal.
> It seems that I am a little deficient in:
> Vitamin D, Zinc, Selenium, Calcium, and Magnesium
>
> What are some good vegetarian sources of these nutrients? Anyone have
> some good foods/recipes to suggest that cover these?
> Dairy/Eggs are ok

Dairy products are a good source of Vit. D, Ca and Mg, a good pint a day
of milk (or the equivalent in other products) should do. Zn and Se are
trace elements which a varied diet will include in suficient amount.

Note that some sources exagerate the requirement for micronutrients in
order to make a quick buck with supplements. The Recommended Dietary
Allowance (RDA, not to be mixed up with the US Recommended Daily
Allowance, US-RDA) is a regularly updated recommendation by a body of
indepentent scientist.
Jenn

So which of the two is the one shown on the packaging of most products, the
RDA, or the US-RDA?

I like that fitday website a lot, I've been using it ever since I saw this
posting. I find that a simple multivitamin and a dose of some kind of fiber
supplement usually is all I need to cover all my missing nutrients. (But I
guess some people are opposed to eating a pill?)

Jenn

> Note that some sources exaggerate the requirement for micronutrients in
> order to make a quick buck with supplements. The Recommended Dietary
> Allowance (RDA, not to be mixed up with the US Recommended Daily
> Allowance, US-RDA) is a regularly updated recommendation by a body of
> independent scientist.

Herman Rubin

In article >,
Dr Engelbert Buxbaum > wrote:
>jaialai_technology wrote:

>> I have been tracking my nutrient cinsumotion via the
>> http://www.fitday.com online eating journal.
>> It seems that I am a little deficient in:
>> Vitamin D, Zinc, Selenium, Calcium, and Magnesium

>> What are some good vegetarian sources of these nutrients? Anyone have
>> some good foods/recipes to suggest that cover these?
>> Dairy/Eggs are ok

>Dairy products are a good source of Vit. D, Ca and Mg, a good pint a day
>of milk (or the equivalent in other products) should do. Zn and Se are
>trace elements which a varied diet will include in suficient amount.

This is not enough Ca or D; a quart of milk is close to
enough for Ca, but even D-enriched milk does not provide
enough of that. How much D you get from sun exposure
depends on many things.

As for Se, Brazil nuts are the only concentrator of this
which I know. A lot depends on the soil where the food
is grown, and the same produce can range from highly
deficient to even toxic. The toxicity was known long
before the need.

>Note that some sources exagerate the requirement for micronutrients in
>order to make a quick buck with supplements. The Recommended Dietary
>Allowance (RDA, not to be mixed up with the US Recommended Daily
>Allowance, US-RDA) is a regularly updated recommendation by a body of
>indepentent scientist.

Phone: (765)494-6054 FAX: (765)494-0558

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum

Jenn wrote:

> So which of the two is the one shown on the packaging of most products, the
> RDA, or the US-RDA?

On food packages you find the US-RDA. Because it is used for labelling
of packages, US-RDA does not differentiate between different gender and
age groups (RDA-tables simply are too big to fit on many packages), and
they are not updated every couple of years (the necessary changes in
package labels would cost the industry a fortune). Roughly speeking,
US-RDA is the 1968 RDA for 18 year old males (because those have the
highest need of most nutrients).

> I like that fitday website a lot, I've been using it ever since I saw this
> posting. I find that a simple multivitamin and a dose of some kind of fiber
> supplement usually is all I need to cover all my missing nutrients. (But I
> guess some people are opposed to eating a pill?)

Not necessarily opposed. Many females, especially before/during
pregnancy and lactation, can benefit from iron and folate
supplementation. However, as a general rule, it is certainly better to
get micronutrients from a varied diet. Supplementation between 50-100%
RDA can be used without much danger, higher doses should only be taken
if prescribed by your doctor. Supplementation is required if a
measurable deficiency of a nutrient is diagnosed by a physician.

Remember that humans in the widest sense have lived on this planet for
several million years, and supplemetation has been available for only
about 50.
Richard Crowley

"Dr Engelbert Buxbaum" wrote ...
> Remember that humans in the widest sense have lived on this planet for
> several million years, and supplemetation has been available for only
> about 50.

And in the narrowest sense, for ~6000 years, but the same 50 years of
available supplement products. Either way, a compelling argument.
jaialai_technology

> Dairy products are a good source of Vit. D, Ca and Mg, a good pint a day
> of milk (or the equivalent in other products) should do. Zn and Se are
> trace elements which a varied diet will include in suficient amount.
>
> Note that some sources exagerate the requirement for micronutrients in
> order to make a quick buck with supplements. The Recommended Dietary
> Allowance (RDA, not to be mixed up with the US Recommended Daily
> Allowance, US-RDA) is a regularly updated recommendation by a body of
> indepentent scientist.

I have been checking my nutrient intake based on my data entry into the
www.fitday.com food journal and they base the reported percentages based
on the RDA for my age, sex, etc (according to their website) as opposed
to the US-RDA. Thanks for bringing this up, until now I think I just
assumed that the two were synonymous.
Don Quinoa

jaialai_technology wrote:
> > Dairy products are a good source of Vit. D, Ca and Mg, a good pint

a day
> > of milk (or the equivalent in other products) should do. Zn and Se

are
> > trace elements which a varied diet will include in suficient

amount.

Dairy products are also nutritionally suited to a calf to help it turn
into a beast the size of a shed as quickly as possible, not even suited
to a baby human let alone an adult human. There are very good animal
welfare and environmental reasons for seeking alternatives to milk
production too.

Sunshine is a good source of Vitamin D or fortified foods such as plant
milk drinks.

Calcium is found in Almonds, tofu, figs, humous and fortified products.

Magnesium is found in cashew nuts, brocolli, quinoa and prunes.

Zinc is in Pumpkin seeds, puy lentils and brown rice.

Selenium is in Brazil nuts and avocados some mushrooms barley and oats.

(NB. Selenium content is dependent on soil and Europe is quite poor)
Dr Engelbert Buxbaum

Herman Rubin wrote:

> >Dairy products are a good source of Vit. D, Ca and Mg, a good pint a day
> >of milk (or the equivalent in other products) should do. Zn and Se are
> >trace elements which a varied diet will include in suficient amount.

> This is not enough Ca or D; a quart of milk is close to
> enough for Ca, but even D-enriched milk does not provide
> enough of that. How much D you get from sun exposure
> depends on many things.

That largely depends on what you call "enough", and what other sources
of Vit. D you have.

> As for Se, Brazil nuts are the only concentrator of this
> which I know. A lot depends on the soil where the food
> is grown, and the same produce can range from highly
> deficient to even toxic. The toxicity was known long
> before the need.

Thats the advantage of our modern world-wide system of food
distribution. Local variations in nutrient content are averaged out.

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum

Don Quinoa wrote:

> Dairy products are also nutritionally suited to a calf to help it turn
> into a beast the size of a shed as quickly as possible, not even suited
> to a baby human let alone an adult human. There are very good animal
> welfare and environmental reasons for seeking alternatives to milk
> production too.

That is largely propaganda, with limited basis in scientific fact. The
antibodies in cows milk is against cow rather than human pathogens, so
unlike breast milk it does not help to protect infants from infection.
Additionally, cows milk as a sole form of nutrition is a bit short in
vitamin C for humans. On the other hand, cows milk is an excellent
source of easily digested protein, and of fat soluble vitamins.

Animal welfare is not served by consumers avoiding milk, but by them
spending a bit more on milk from cows raised under appropriate
conditions. That would also make most of the envirnmental issues go
away. Animals densely packed into dark stable, raised on food imported
over long distances, and protected from disease by the mass use of
antibiotics, whose wastes are not recycled into new plant material are a
humanitarian and environmental catastrophy. If farmers were allowed to
keep only as many cows as they can feed from their own land most of
these problems would vanish. So would the need for subsidies.