FoodBanter.com

-   Vegetarian cooking (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegetarian-cooking/)
-   -   Seitan questions - used flour not vwg (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegetarian-cooking/52116-seitan-questions-used-flour.html)

[email protected] 18-01-2005 09:52 AM

Seitan questions - used flour not vwg

So the flavor isn't horrible but the texture is definitely spongey.

I used the book "Cooking with Gluten" as a resource - but I still have
lots of questions.

What should the consistency of the dough be after mixing the flour and
water - mine was very sticky. I do not make bread - so I won't "get"
bread analogies. I kind of thought I should add more flour but wasn't
sure.

Second question. I rinsed- but was not patient. I had used half whole
wheat flour and half unbleached white flour. Even though the rinse
water seemed reasonably clear - I was still getting that gritty feeling
- I assume this is the bran. Do you keep on going until you don't see
any dark specks? Is this problem a good reason to use "white flour?"

Third question. I simmered for about 50 minutes. The balls acquired
some taste - but I didn't know what to look for to know when they were
done. I've read description where people simmer from 45 minutes to
half a day. There must be a point when the seitan is done?
Thanks.
Vicki