Kake L Pugh

Default Slow cooker suggestions

I have a new slow cooker (crockpot) to play with! The obvious thing
to try in it is bean and lentil casseroles, but I have someone to cook
for who doesn't like pulses. Has anyone got any good suggestions for
things to use it for that don't involve beans or lentils? Something
that really uses the capabilities of the slow cooker. It's quite a
large one - 6 litres (that's about 12 US pints).

(Suggestions to do a Google search are redundant - I know how to do that.
I'm interested in what you people, the readers of this newsgroup, would
try or have tried.)

Kake
Chris

Here are a few you may enjoy from the folks at the
Christiand-Vegan-Cooking Group. http://recipecircus.com/recipes/CVC/

Cauliflower and Potato Curry

Source of Recipe: Ilovetocookvegan2

List of Ingredients
4 cups potatoes -- peeled and quartered
1 small cauliflower -- cut into florets
1 pinch asafetida
3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 big pinch sugar
2 tomatoes -- chopped
1 1/4 cups water
1/2 teaspoon garam masala

Directions:
Add all ingredients to crockpot. Cover; cook on low for 6 hours.

--------------
Crock-Pot layered Veggie Dinner

Source of Recipe: Donna Godfrey
List of Ingredients

6 potatoes, sliced
1 large onion, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 zucchini, sliced
1 cup corn, frozen or fresh
1 cup peas, frozen or fresh
1/4 pound fresh mushrooms (optional)
1 cup broccoli florets (optional)
1 cup green beans, cut, frozen or fresh

For Sauce:

2 1/2 cups tomato sauce
1/4 cup Tamari or Bragg;s Liquid aminos
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon basil
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/8 teaspoons sage
2 tablespoons parsley flakes

Directions

Layer vegetables in large casserole in order given. Mix together
ingredients for sauce and pour over vegetables.

Cook 6 hours at high or 12 hours at low.

--------------
Crockpot Baked Apples

Source of Recipe: Ilovetookvegan2

List of Ingredients
6 medium tart red apples
1 cup light brown sugar (or Sucanat, date sugar, or maple syrup)
1/4 cup golden seedless raisins
1 Tbsp grated orange peel
1/4 cup soft vegan margarine
2 cups very hot water
3 Tbsp orange juice concentrate

Directions:
Wash, core and stem the apples, but don't peel them. Stand them in a
buttered mold and stuff them with 2/3 cup of the brown sugar mixture,
the raisins and the orange peel. fill the tops of the core cavities
with margarine and sprinkle the remaining sugar over the tops. Place
the mold in the slow cooker and pour the hot water into the cooker.
Sprinkle he orange juice concentrate over the apples. Cover the
cooker and cook on. Low for 3 to 5 hours, or until the apples are
tender.

-------------
Maple Glazed Sweet Potatoes
Source of Recipe: Ilovetocookvegan2

List of Ingredients
5 medium sweet potatoes
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup apple cider
1 dash salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:
Peel sweet potatoes and cut into 1/4 to 1/2-inch thick slices; place in
crock pot. Whisk remaining ingredients together and pour over potatoes.
Cover and cook on low 7 to 9 hours. Stir a few times, if possible, to
keep them coated. Serves 4.

To thicken gravy, make a smooth paste of flour and 1/4 cup of juices
from stew. Add to crockpot. Cover and cook on HIGH setting until
thickened.

---------------
Orange Glazed Carrots

Source of Recipe: Ilovetocookvegan2

List of Ingredients
3 cups thinly sliced carrots
3 tbs. margarine
2 cups water
3 tbs orange marmalade
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbs chopped pecans

Directions:
Mix carrots water and salt in crock-pot. Cover and cook on high for 2-3
hours, or until carrots are done. Drain well; stir in remaining
ingredients. Cover and cook on high for another 30 minutes.
Hopeyou find these useful.
Chris

Kake: You might find this spread also useful, I snipped it for you:

From: Sharon (cs6669178-182.houston.rr.com)
Subject: Soy Butter
Date: June 17, 2002 at 3:47 pm PST

You can use Earth Balance - vegan, and/or Smart Balance (they have one
with whey and one without) Here are some recipes from the archives -
hope one suits you -

Barbara's Margarine

1 heaping Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
pinch turmeric (for color)
1 tsp imit butter flavor
1 tsp salt
1Tbsp Emes vegan gelatin or any brand equivalent
3/4 cup soy milk
1/4 cup soy milk powder
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup olive oil (mild flavor, unless you like the strong taste)
1 1/2 t liquid lecithin
1 tsp or to taste sweetener, e.g. tubinado powder or fructose powder

Directions

Dissolve the Emes gelatin into half the soymilk. While that is
dissolving, in a blender place the nutritional yeast, butter,
flavoring,
salt, remaining soymilk, turmeric, and dry soy powder. Blend
thoroughly.

While that is still blender add the soaked Emes, oils, lecithin, and
sweetener. Pour in a jar and let it set.

That is it! Spread on bread it looks just like the
commercial margarine after it has melted!!!!!
Works in cookie recipes too!

----

Homemade Margarine -- Lynne Snyder

1/2 cup almonds, blanched
1/2 cup water
1 1/4 cup oil (divided: 1/2 cup plus 3/4 cup)
3/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. nutritional yeast
1 tsp. liquid imitation butter flavor (I used Schilling brand)
1 Tbs. lemon juice
Mix almonds, water and 1/2 cup oil in blender until smooth. Add salt,
nutritional yeast, butter flavor and remaining oil. When well blended
add lemon juice.

"MARGARINE"

1 Tbsp. Nutritional Yeast Flakes (flakes)
1 pinch Tumeric (for color)
1 tsp. Butter Flavoring
1 tsp. Salt
1 Tbsp. Emes Gelatin
3/4 c. Milk (of your choice)
1/4 c. Soy Milk (Soyagen powder, or other milk powder substitute)
3/4 c. Canola Oil
1/2 tsp. Liquid Lecithin
1 tsp. Rice Syrup (or other sweetener)

Instructions: Disolve the Emes into half the milk liquid. While that
disolves, in a blender, place the remaining milk, yeast flakes, butter
flavoring, salt, tumeric, and milk powder. Blend thoroughly.
While that is still blending, add Emes, oil, lecithin, and sweetener.
Pour into a jar and refridgerate. That's it! Melts like butter and is
wonderful in cookies.

OLIVE OIL "BUTTER"

2 tsp. Emes Gelatin
1 c. Water (boiling)
1 1/2 c. Olive Oil (cold)
1/8 tsp. Tumeric
1 tsp. Liquid Lecithin
1 Tbsp. Nutritional Yeast Flakes
1 tsp. Salt

Instructions: Dissolve gelatin in boiling water in a blender. Add the
rest of the ingredients while blending on high speed. Refrigerate for
several hours before using. Keeps one month in the refrigerator. It
"sets up" in the refrigerator so that it spreads like soft butter, but
melts on your food. The flavor is actually superior to margarine!

Sincerely,
Linda

ALSO: If you have kids, check out www.veggiegames.com for a
pro-animal-life fun game for Mac and PC.

Kake: You might find this spread also useful, I snipped it for you:

Kake L Pugh

Chris > wrote:
> Here are a few you may enjoy from the folks at the
> Christiand-Vegan-Cooking Group. http://recipecircus.com/recipes/CVC/
> [...]
> Cauliflower and Potato Curry [...]
> Crock-Pot layered Veggie Dinner [...]
> Crockpot Baked Apples [...]
> Maple Glazed Sweet Potatoes [...]
> Orange Glazed Carrots [...]

Thank you, Chris! I definitely seem to have overlooked the possibilities
of potatoes. I used to make a very nice oven-baked dish which layered
potatoes and mushrooms and garlic and some kind of creamy sauce. It took
over an hour in the oven so I bet it would work well in the slow cooker too.

The sweet potato idea is also promising. I'll try layering them with
normal potatoes and thinly-sliced onions.

Kake
Chris

Kake, another possiblity when layering sweet potatoes, place layers
of apples between the sweet potato layers. I've done this in the oven
using a similar mixture as the maple glazed sweet potatoes. I added a
bit of cinnamon to the mixture as well.
Remember, Life's too short to eat bad food.

Chris

I would imagine that a slow-cooker would be a good platform for one of
my favourite cooking-based amusements. How good a meal can you cook
from just fresh vegetables and water. The rules, as I play it, mean
that any fresh plant is fair game, including standard vegetables,
tomatoes, garlic, fresh ginger, fresh leafy herbs. But, no frozen
vegetables, dried herbs, dried spices, etc. Usually I find that a
slow-cooked stew works best as the flavours have time to develop. So, a
slow-cooker might be even better.

Cheers,

Ross-c