Default Corn Bisque Soup

Hi, need help!

I made a pot of corn bisque soup from a recipe in, "Eating Well",
Magazine.

It called for either fresh corn or corn in a box. I never heard of
that, and fresh corn being so expensive, I bought a 2 lb packagae of
frozen corn kernels instead.

When finished, no matter what I did to grind up the skins on the corn
kernels, they were impossible to eat! Ruined the entire pot. Because of
finances I have to make do, but what could I have done? I ran a hand
blender inside the stock pot. Hardly did a thing. I then put it in a
(what a mess), blender, still, kernels were too tough. I then tried the
ULTIMATE CHOPPER that chops concrete!!!!! Still, the soup would
normally be inedible because of the skins on the corn kernels. (I have
to make do so I ignore it!
What did I do, or what did go wrong???

Mike
Chef R. W. Miller

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I made a pot of corn bisque soup from a recipe in, "Eating Well",
> Magazine. [...]
> When finished, no matter what I did to grind up the skins on the corn
> kernels, they were impossible to eat! Ruined the entire pot.

You need to buy a ricer (very inexpensive) to press the soup through.
Chef R. W. Miller

[Excess quoting snipped by moderator.]
Neil

This is more than a bit late. I don't spend much time on right now but
the boxed corn:

FYI , it prob is something like Cope's. A search on Google should
yield the product. I have a box in front of me because the other half
loves "corn pudding" made with it. Name: John Cope's Food Products,
Dried Sweet Corn. Note it is also listed as Natural/No Additives.
Ingredients is one item: Dried Sweet Corn. We get ours in the local
supermarkets. [OH's Mom always made Cope's into corn pudding at
Holidays. The recipe has taken well to Soymilk and other adaptions]
Dried corn is also made locally in PA. Both Cope's and no name brands.
I can buy bulk at the local Mennonite store [again in PA] too so it
might be sold in bulk elsewhere.

The box contains ways of using it via microwave and conventional oven.
I also keep it around because when I are digging frantically through
the kitchen cupboards looking for that last can or jar of corn, it is
nice to know I have a back up. I will say the flavor seems different
to me when I make something with it. I personally don't care for the
taste much but it is acceptable to me, the other half loves it. It is
handy and stores for extended periods. Once I break the seal, I
simply use what I need and rebag the rest for later. I do have to
admit it is handy, very simple and economical for us.
signman

"Neil" wrote
>Dried corn is also made locally in PA. Both Cope's and >no name brands.
>I can buy bulk at the local Mennonite store [again in >PA] too so it might

be sold in bulk elsewhere.

Where in PA are you? We've got a few Mennonite stores near me....and more
in the adjoining county (Lancaster).

signman

Neil

Central around PSU/Harrisburg and Belleville.

They should have it in your area or know where to order it. Ask them.

Ours also gets the most wonderful tomatoes. I have no idea who their
supplier is but the tomatoes are perfect, age just right and put the
rest [Walmart/Weis/Giant] to shame. They are just like our garden
fresh. Great natural peanutbutter too by Zimmerman's that the Other
Half swears is the best they have tried. They keep me in a steady
supply of bulk oat bran. The stores are much better in a lot of
"Natural" products than our local Health Food stores for a lot of the
bulk products.

Cope's I know is at Weis Markets too because the other half use to
order it for the store. I haven't checked Giant in a while so I am not
sure but I know they use to carry it. It is very popular doing the
Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays.