babychxhed

Default Alternatives to Tofurkey brand?

Hello! can anyone recommend a tofu or seitan "turkey" other than the
Tofurkey brand? My family isn't too keen on it.
Thanks)
C. Noble

This has become a tradition at our retreat centers on Thanksgiving. It is
called "No Tom Turkey". As one worker said "The great thing about the
recipe is that everything is in it. And all you really need is some gravy
and cranberry sauce to make it a complete Thanksgiving treat."

2 c. long grain brown rice
4 T. powdered vegetable broth
2 T. oil
3/4 c. wild rice
1 t. each sage, rosemary, thyme
5 T. butter
1 onion, diced
5 stalks celery, sliced
1 t. dill
2 t. onion salt
1 lb. mushrooms
2 t. garlic powder
1 t. thyme
1 lb. seitan
1 lb. Monterey Jack cheese, grated
16 oz. Pepperidge Farm Herb Stuffing
salt & pepper to taste
5 t. poultry seasoning
optional: pecan halves

In a sauté pan, add rice, broth powder and oil. Cook about 4 minutes.
Place mixture in 4 c. boiling water and cook for an hour or until water is
absorbed. Place wild rice, sage, rosemary, thyme and 1 T. butter in 1 1/2 c.
water and cook for 1 hour.
Sauté onion, celery, dill, and onion salt in 2 T. butter. Slice and
sauté mushrooms, garlic powder and 1 t. thyme in 2 T. butter until soft.
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Add seitan, cheese, herb
stuffing, salt & pepper to taste, and poultry seasoning. Mix thoroughly. In
a baking pan, shape mixture like a turkey or whatever you like, garnish with
pecan halves and bake for 30-45 minutes at 375 degrees F. Serve with
cranberry sauce and gravy. Serves 15.

"babychxhed" > wrote in message
> Hello! can anyone recommend a tofu or seitan "turkey" other than the
> Tofurkey brand? My family isn't too keen on it.
> Thanks)

---

Tofurkey J. Clarke[_2_] General Cooking 7 26-11-2011 03:58 AM
BBQ NG Alternatives Kent[_5_] Barbecue 7 07-11-2011 12:27 AM
Are There Alternatives? Ron[_9_] General Cooking 66 28-11-2010 08:51 AM
Alternatives Heidi Manway General Cooking 1 28-12-2006 03:11 PM
Veg "turkey" other than "Tofurkey" brand? babychxhed Vegan 10 07-12-2004 05:32 PM