Martha

Default Thanksgiving mashed potatoes

I have prepared this recipe for the last several years and the best
part is that you can make them the night before and get rid of the
whole mashed potato dirty pot mess the night before.

Instead of using butter, I used a non hydrogenated product. Instead of
sour cream, I used tofutti sour cream. I steam the potatoes instead of
boiling.

Recipe: Overnight Mashed Potato Casserole

8 to 10 servings

- 4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled
- 1=BD cups sour cream
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1=BD teaspoons salt
- =BC teaspoon pepper
- =BC cup dry bread crumbs

1=2E If potatoes are large, cut in quarters. Cook potatoes until tender
in boiling, salted water. Drain and place cooked potatoes in the large
bowl of an electric mixer. Add sour cream, 5 tablespoons butter, salt
and pepper.

2=2E Beat potato mixture until light and fluffy on low speed of an
electric beater. Pile lightly into a buttered 2-quart casserole dish.
Cover and refrigerate overnight.

3=2E Bring casserole out of refrigerator 1 hour before cooking. Bake
covered in a preheated 325-degree oven about 1 hour or until heated
through.

4=2E Toss bread crumbs with remaining 1 tablespoon butter, which has been
melted, and sprinkle buttered crumbs over potatoes. Continue baking,
uncovered, about 30 minutes longer.

Adapted from "Harriet Roth's Cholesterol Control Cookbook."
Copyright =A9 2004 The Seattle Times Company