FoodBanter.com

-   Vegetarian cooking (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegetarian-cooking/)
-   -   butter beans (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegetarian-cooking/429630-re-butter-beans.html)

[email protected] 17-06-2014 08:25 AM

butter beans

On Monday, January 17, 2000 8:00:00 AM UTC, Lori Houghton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was making a vegetarian soup this weekend and the recipe called to thicken
> the broth with butter beans. Anyone know what these are or where I might
> get them? I live in Ontario, Canada? I used white kidney beans instead and
> they worked great but I would like to try it with butter beans.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lori

Hi Lori.
I'm English. Butter beans look and taste very similar harricot beans (baked beans) only bigger and flatter. Broad beans are very dry in texture but butter are a pleasant all rounder that goes really well in stews :-)
Hope this helped!

bigwheel 17-10-2014 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (Post 1940740)
On Monday, January 17, 2000 8:00:00 AM UTC, Lori Houghton wrote:
Hi,

I was making a vegetarian soup this weekend and the recipe called to thicken
the broth with butter beans. Anyone know what these are or where I might
get them? I live in Ontario, Canada? I used white kidney beans instead and
they worked great but I would like to try it with butter beans.

Thanks,

Lori

Hi Lori.
I'm English. Butter beans look and taste very similar harricot beans (baked beans) only bigger and flatter. Broad beans are very dry in texture but butter are a pleasant all rounder that goes really well in stews :-)
Hope this helped!

I'm Texican where butter beans pose as white limas. As the old country song goes..."She aint pregnant as she seems..she's just full of them good old butter beans." Mighty special with a big old hunk of raw onion and a big glass of cold buttermilk. Never heard of anybody using them for thickening but it might work. Now folks from Georgia thinks butter beans are speckled for some reason. Cheerio old Chap.