William Asher

Default Black Turtle Bean Soup

When I used to live in the Washington DC area (15 years ago), I would
buy 1 lb bags of Black Turtle Beans - most likely at Giant Food. The
packages had a wonderful recipe for Black Turtle Bean soup, involving
sauteing carrots, celery and onions, and shredding up potatoes, and of
course the ubiquitous bay leaf. I probably could make it up, but I'd
feel more secure if I could find the recipe. Of course black beans
are readily available in Michigan, where I now live, but I can't find
that recipe.

Does anybody have it? Thanks.
TomP

You've got to be kidding... Do a Google search for Black Turtle Beans or
just Black Beans, there's 20 thousand hits!

Recipe has to be out there somewhere.

William Asher wrote:

> When I used to live in the Washington DC area (15 years ago), I would
> buy 1 lb bags of Black Turtle Beans - most likely at Giant Food. The
> packages had a wonderful recipe for Black Turtle Bean soup, involving
> sauteing carrots, celery and onions, and shredding up potatoes, and of
> course the ubiquitous bay leaf.....
>
> Does anybody have it? Thanks.

TomP

William Asher wrote:

> When I used to live in the Washington DC area (15 years ago), I would
> buy 1 lb bags of Black Turtle Beans - most likely at Giant Food. The
> packages had a wonderful recipe for Black Turtle Bean soup, involving
> sauteing carrots, celery and onions, and shredding up potatoes, and of
> course the ubiquitous bay leaf.....
>
> Does anybody have it? Thanks.

TomP

William Asher wrote:

> When I used to live in the Washington DC area (15 years ago), I would
> buy 1 lb bags of Black Turtle Beans - most likely at Giant Food. The
> packages had a wonderful recipe for Black Turtle Bean soup, involving
> sauteing carrots, celery and onions, and shredding up potatoes, and of
> course the ubiquitous bay leaf.....
>
> Does anybody have it? Thanks.

Chef R. W. Miller

Black Bean Soup

Also known as turtle beans, these black beans are adorned with green chiles
to heat things up, fresh tomatoes to cool things down, brown rice for
substance and a dash of sherry for culture.

1 1/2 cups brown rice
2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup diced carrot
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cups chicken broth
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced (see note)
1/2 cup bran
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon sherry
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1/2 cup seeded and chopped tomato

1.. Cook rice according to package directions; set aside.
2.. Meanwhile, reserve one-fourth of the black beans. Purée the remaining
beans with water in a blender or food processor; set aside.
3.. In a large stockpot, cook onions, celery and carrots in oil until
tender-crisp. Add broth, chiles, bran, pepper and the whole and puréed
beans. Simmer uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes.
4.. Remove from heat and stir in sherry. Serve with rice and garnish with
green onions and tomatoes.
Makes 8 servings.

Note: Working with jalapeños or other chiles: Capsaicin is the ingredient in
chiles that causes the burning sensation associated with fresh peppers. It's
a good idea to use rubber gloves when handling fresh chiles. (Disposable
surgical gloves, available at most drugstores, work best for this.) If you
choose not to use gloves, be extremely careful not to touch any part of your
body, especially your eyes. After you've finished handling the chiles, wash
your knife and cutting board with hot soapy water to ensure that there is no
carry-over to other foods that may come in contact with the peppers.

"William Asher" > wrote in message
om...
> When I used to live in the Washington DC area (15 years ago), I would
> buy 1 lb bags of Black Turtle Beans - most likely at Giant Food. The
> packages had a wonderful recipe for Black Turtle Bean soup, involving
> sauteing carrots, celery and onions, and shredding up potatoes, and of
> course the ubiquitous bay leaf. I probably could make it up, but I'd
> feel more secure if I could find the recipe. Of course black beans
> are readily available in Michigan, where I now live, but I can't find
> that recipe.
>
> Does anybody have it? Thanks.

wla2000

TomP wrote:
> You've got to be kidding... Do a Google search for Black Turtle

Beans or
> just Black Beans, there's 20 thousand hits!
>
> Recipe has to be out there somewhere.

20,000 recipes is too many - I'm just looking for one!
wla2000

TomP wrote:
> You've got to be kidding... Do a Google search for Black Turtle

Beans or
> just Black Beans, there's 20 thousand hits!
>
> Recipe has to be out there somewhere.

20,000 recipes is too many - I'm just looking for one!
TomP

I hear ya. But after reading your post that's what I did.
Here's the one I picked.

--
Tp,

-------- __o
----- -\<. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )

No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...
TomP

wla2000 wrote:

> TomP wrote:
> > You've got to be kidding... Do a Google search for Black Turtle

> Beans or
> > just Black Beans, there's 20 thousand hits!
> >
> > Recipe has to be out there somewhere.
> >

> 20,000 recipes is too many - I'm just looking for one!

--
Tp,

No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

REC: Black bean soup Peter A General Cooking 4 06-01-2007 11:36 PM
Black Bean Soup T & J Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 30-10-2005 11:14 PM
Black Beans - Cuban Black Bean Soup Langerhans Diabetic 0 10-07-2005 09:04 PM
Black Bean Soup Duckie ® Recipes 0 27-03-2005 07:11 PM
Black Bean Soup journey_7x7 Recipes (moderated) 0 15-12-2004 12:42 PM