rmg

Default Rollercoaster Tofu "Sausage"

I mixed this up this morning, using a recipe for "real" meat sausage.
Initially I thought it was going to be awful because I didn't have anything
but oatmeal with which to bind the tofu mixture, and I overprocessed
everything so it was like pudding. Then when I fried the "patties," well, it
was like trying to fry pudding. But once I baked them they developed a nice
skin and the flavor was good.

I wouldn't omit the frying as it gives the patties a nice texture.

veggie sausage patties

1/2 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1 lb firm tofu, tempeh, or tofu sausage
1 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh sage
egg replacer - equivalent 2 eggs
1/4 cup coarse fresh bread crumbs or oats
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
fresh lemon slices

Preheat oven to 325F.

Pulse all the ingredients except the oil and breadcrumbs in food processor.

Add the breadcrumbs just to mix in.

Heat oil in a heavy frying pan.

Drop the tofu mixture by heaping tablespoon into oil. Brown patties on both
sides. The patties will be loose and gooey. No worries.

Transfer patties to a nonstick baking dish. Bake the patties in the oven for
about 45 minutes. They will firm up and become more chewy.

Serve with lemon slices on the side.