Nikitta Riber

Default Vegetarian nutrition: want to be a veggie again

I'm looking for different sources for information on vegetarian
nutrition, as I've been first a vegetarian, and later a vegan, before,
but I had to give it up due to not getting the right nutrients (I
suspect I wasn't getting enough iron, for one thing).

I think I could get the right nutrients as an ovo-lacto vegetarian,
but I'd appreciate some sources for nutritional information, so I
don't make the same mistake again. I also want something to tell my
friends who might be worried when they find out I'm becoming a veggie
again.

I like fresh vegetables a lot, but can easily get tired of the
bean-stuff, but maybe that's because I'm still not all that good a
cooking it?
--
Nikitta. ICQ# 251532856
This .sig is temporary.
Steve

Nikitta Riber wrote:
> I'm looking for different sources for information on vegetarian
> nutrition, as I've been first a vegetarian, and later a vegan, before,
> but I had to give it up due to not getting the right nutrients (I
> suspect I wasn't getting enough iron, for one thing).

Though the title says "vegan" the information applies to vegetarians.
It is written by an RD, it is free, it is brief and it is complete:

http://www.veganoutreach.org/starterpack

Similarly:
http://www.veganhealth.org

And my own:
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

--
Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

Steve's Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"
Steve

Nikitta Riber wrote:
> I'm looking for different sources for information on vegetarian
> nutrition, as I've been first a vegetarian, and later a vegan, before,
> but I had to give it up due to not getting the right nutrients (I
> suspect I wasn't getting enough iron, for one thing).

Though the title says "vegan" the information applies to vegetarians.
It is written by an RD, it is free, it is brief and it is complete:

http://www.veganoutreach.org/starterpack

Similarly:
http://www.veganhealth.org

And my own:
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

--
Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

Steve's Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"
C. James Strutz

"Nikitta Riber" > wrote in message

> I'm looking for different sources for information on vegetarian
> nutrition, as I've been first a vegetarian, and later a vegan,

before,
> but I had to give it up due to not getting the right nutrients (I
> suspect I wasn't getting enough iron, for one thing).
>
> I think I could get the right nutrients as an ovo-lacto vegetarian,
> but I'd appreciate some sources for nutritional information, so I
> don't make the same mistake again. I also want something to tell my
> friends who might be worried when they find out I'm becoming a

veggie
> again.
>
> I like fresh vegetables a lot, but can easily get tired of the
> bean-stuff, but maybe that's because I'm still not all that good a
> cooking it?

Just eat a wide variety of vegetables, legumes, grains, fruits, and to
a lesser extent dairy and eggs and you will not have a problem with
nutrition. You should also supplement regularly. Some people still
have deficiencies in certain minerals (women are especially
susceptible to anemia) so you may want to see your physician to have
some bloodwork done.

As far as cooking goes, there are many good vegetarian cookbooks. I
usually use cookbooks for ideas, but more often I like to experiment
with flavors and textures on my own. It's a means of creative
expression for me. I also I record my successes so I can reproduce
them later.
C. James Strutz

"Nikitta Riber" > wrote in message

> I'm looking for different sources for information on vegetarian
> nutrition, as I've been first a vegetarian, and later a vegan,

before,
> but I had to give it up due to not getting the right nutrients (I
> suspect I wasn't getting enough iron, for one thing).
>
> I think I could get the right nutrients as an ovo-lacto vegetarian,
> but I'd appreciate some sources for nutritional information, so I
> don't make the same mistake again. I also want something to tell my
> friends who might be worried when they find out I'm becoming a

veggie
> again.
>
> I like fresh vegetables a lot, but can easily get tired of the
> bean-stuff, but maybe that's because I'm still not all that good a
> cooking it?

Just eat a wide variety of vegetables, legumes, grains, fruits, and to
a lesser extent dairy and eggs and you will not have a problem with
nutrition. You should also supplement regularly. Some people still
have deficiencies in certain minerals (women are especially
susceptible to anemia) so you may want to see your physician to have
some bloodwork done.

As far as cooking goes, there are many good vegetarian cookbooks. I
usually use cookbooks for ideas, but more often I like to experiment
with flavors and textures on my own. It's a means of creative
expression for me. I also I record my successes so I can reproduce
them later.

George Russell

Nikitta Riber wrote (snipped):
> I'm looking for different sources for information on vegetarian
> nutrition, as I've been first a vegetarian, and later a vegan, before,
> but I had to give it up due to not getting the right nutrients (I
> suspect I wasn't getting enough iron, for one thing).

http://www.eatright.org/Public/Gover...s/92_17084.cfm
George Russell

Nikitta Riber wrote (snipped):
> I'm looking for different sources for information on vegetarian
> nutrition, as I've been first a vegetarian, and later a vegan, before,
> but I had to give it up due to not getting the right nutrients (I
> suspect I wasn't getting enough iron, for one thing).

http://www.eatright.org/Public/Gover...s/92_17084.cfm
Nikitta Riber

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 08:34:30 GMT, Nikitta Riber
> wrote:

Thanks for the information, all. I think I'll be alright.
--
Nikitta. ICQ# 251532856
This .sig is temporary.
"She's a witch! Let's... offer her a cup of tea."
Ancipital (Sheddie)
Nikitta Riber

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 08:34:30 GMT, Nikitta Riber
> wrote:

Thanks for the information, all. I think I'll be alright.
--
Nikitta. ICQ# 251532856
This .sig is temporary.
"She's a witch! Let's... offer her a cup of tea."
Ancipital (Sheddie)
Nikitta Riber