Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Default Runner (string) Beans

I have masses of runner beans in my (uk) garden.

suggestions, recipes etc before we all get tired of them, please.
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

My favourite Greek green bean recipe:

Green Beans in Tomato Oil Sauce
Fassólia fréska me domátes in Tomato Oil Sauce

In Greece this summer main dish is always served lukewarm; with fresh
(white) bread and a piece of feta cheese it is a complete meal.

750 g green beans, salt, 1 onion, 3 garlic cloves, 750 g tomatoes, 1 cup
olive oil, pepper, 1 teaspoon sugar, 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley,
fresh lemon juice

Preparation time: 30 minutes
Resting period: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes

Wash the beans, cut off stalks and remove strings. Peel the onion and the
garlic cloves cut them in fine pieces. Wash the tomatoes, cut the skin
crosswise and put them briefly into boiling water. Peel the tomatoes, remove
the stalks and mash them in a mixer. Heat up the olive oil in a pot and fry
the onions until glassy. Fry briefly the garlic and add the mashed tomatoes,
salt, pepper, sugar and parsley. Put the beans next to each other in the pot
and, if required, add water until the beans are covered, put a plate on top
to keep them down. Heat up until boiling and let the beans in the closed pot
cook at low heat for 30 - 40 minutes until they are soft. Do not stir. If
there is still much liquid in the pot, boil it down with strong heat in the
open pot up to the desired quantity after you have carefully removed the
beans with a perforated cooking spoon. Pour the sauce over the beans,
optionally add some lemon juice to taste. Serve hot or lukewarm.

Enjoy!

Regina
--
www.an-kreta.de/
Cruelty against animals is one of the most denotable characteristics
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Boil them with spaghetti and then add pesto sauce. Try it! :-)
Luca

"alan" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>I have masses of runner beans in my (uk) garden.
>
> suggestions, recipes etc before we all get tired of them, please.

Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

According to >:
>Boil them with spaghetti and then add pesto sauce. Try it! :-)

And throw in a couple of waxy potatoes too!
Although it's best done with french beans rather than runner beans.

My freezer's full to overflowing with parboiled runner beans and
frozen raspberries.

Scalet Runner Beans [email protected] Preserving 14 02-05-2012 09:16 PM
Runner Beans. May Preserving 10 02-08-2005 03:08 PM
"DRY-FRIED" string beans?? homeboy3 Asian Cooking 6 29-06-2005 10:56 AM
Red Potatoes and String Beans Duckie ® Recipes 0 27-06-2005 08:32 PM