Member

Location: Buffalo, New York
Default Iceberg lettuce?

So most grocery stores carry bags of iceberg lettuce and they are usually the cheapest option. But i have heard that iceberg lettuce has little or no nutritional value and that its not even worth buying or consuming it. Any truth to this?
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Checking Google as for the nutrition of lettuce, I found the following:

Wikipedia:

Lettuce is a fat free, low calorie food and is good for a well balanced
diet. It is a valuable source of vitamin A and folic acid. Lactucarium (or
“Lettuce Opium”) is a mild opiate-like substance that is contained in all
types of lettuce. Both the Romans and Egyptians took advantage of this
property eating lettuce at the end of a meal to induce sleep.

On http://www.doleeurope.com/tabid/200/Default.aspx you will find detailed
information about the contents of iceberg lettuce.

There is more information in the internet. Just check "iceberg lettuce". It
is that simple.

Regina
--
www.an-kreta.de/
Cruelty against animals is one of the most denotable characteristics
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Here's a good nutrition site:
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

On Jun 17, 3:47*pm, andrewmoquin <andrewmoquin.
> wrote:
> So most grocery stores carry bags of iceberg lettuce and they are
> usually the cheapest option. But i have heard that iceberg lettuce has
> little or no nutritional value and that its not even worth buying or
> consuming it. Any truth to this?
>
> --
> andrewmoquin

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina Schmid View Post
Checking Google as for the nutrition of lettuce, I found the following:

Wikipedia:

Lettuce is a fat free, low calorie food and is good for a well balanced
diet. It is a valuable source of vitamin A and folic acid. Lactucarium (or
“Lettuce Opium”) is a mild opiate-like substance that is contained in all
types of lettuce. Both the Romans and Egyptians took advantage of this
property eating lettuce at the end of a meal to induce sleep.

On Nutrition Facts you will find detailed
information about the contents of iceberg lettuce.

There is more information in the internet. Just check "iceberg lettuce". It
is that simple.

Regina
--
Home | Tierschutz - Tierärztepool - Themen | Förderverein Arche Noah Kreta e.V.
Cruelty against animals is one of the most denotable characteristics
of an inferior and ignoble nation. (Alexander von Humboldt)
This information is useful,thanks!
Member

I keep mine wrapped in a plastic bag, in the produce drawer of the refrigerator. Tupperware used to make a lettuce keeper that worked really well too, but don't know if they still do.
free ads | business listings | job listings

Member

This food ( iceberg) is low in Sodium, and very low in Saturated Fat and Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Thiamin, Vitamin B6, Iron and Potassium, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Folate and Manganese.