Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Default Soy/sake potatoes

I'd had this recipe on my del.icio.us bookmarks for so long that the
blog it was originally posted on had disappeared, so I had to go hunt
it up on the Internet Archive:
http://web.archive.org/web/200504071..._part_ii_.html

It turned out to be worth it, partly because it got me thinking about
the various steps involved in the recipe, and trying to work out which
ones are necessary and what their function is.

* 650g (1.5 lb) potatoes
* 2 tsp groundnut oil
* 300ml (10 fl oz, 1.25 cups) sake
* 3 Tbsp soy sauce
* 1 Tbsp vegan marge (butter works too)

We begin by peeling, cubing, and parboiling some potatoes, before
draining them and shallow-frying them. Now, I've made fried potatoes
lots of times before, but always previously I've needed to be quite
careful about not stirring/shaking the potatoes until they'd formed a
decent crust on the bottom. This time, I had no such problems. I
wonder if this is down to the parboiling; I suspect that this might
have done something to the starch in the outer layer of the potatoes
that made them more likely to stick to the interior of the potatoes
than to the pan. I made a half-hearted attempt to look this up in
McGee, but got distracted.

Next, we pour in quite a lot of sake and let it bubble down and
evaporate before adding soy sauce and letting that bubble off
too. This stage is to get the flavours of the sake and soy into the
potatoes.

Finally, we add butter (I used vegan marge), let it melt, and then use
it to get a crust on the potatoes.

It was pretty nice. I'd like to try it with different types of potatoes
- the ones I used were quite watery.

There's a photo he
http://flickr.com/photos/kake_pugh/2541601085/

Kake

Sake World Sake Newsletter, December, 2006 Gerry Sushi 0 06-12-2006 12:27 AM
Red sake? Geoff Sushi 10 05-11-2006 07:58 PM
Sake Roy Boy Winemaking 13 04-11-2005 05:41 PM
Sake? Desertphile, American Patriot Winemaking 8 02-03-2005 09:46 PM
Sake? Brian Winemaking 2 25-07-2004 09:50 PM