Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Default Indian cooking

Hi, I have tried many recipes on the internet and NONE of them taste
like what I get in the indian restaurants. I don't particularly care
about using a ton of butter or oil. I just care that it tastes good. I
know that restaurants cook the vegies and curry sauce seperate. Almost
all the recipes on the internet don't call for this. I live in a place
where I can't get any good indian vegetarian food and its driving me
crazy! I LOVE indian food. Where I used to live there was a completely
vegetarian indian restaurant that was sensational. They had all kinds
of south indian cusine like masala dosa and the north indian regulars.
I've bought books, I've tried Youtube....none of them has worked. I've
even had indian food in a non indian vegetarian restaraunt and it
tasted nothing like the indian food at an indian restaurant. Obviously
someone is keeping some secrets. I'd like to find them out!!!

Anyway, I'd like to start by learning to cook
1)aloo gobi
2)aloo matar

I want it to taste just like the restaurants. Anyone know how its
REALLY cooked in the restaurants?

Thanks a lot!
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

On Jan 18, 12:07*pm, wrote:
> Hi, I have tried many recipes on the internet and NONE of them taste
> like what I get in the indian restaurants.
> [...quoting trimmed by moderator...]
>
> Anyway, I'd like to start by learning to cook
> 1)aloo gobi
> 2)aloo matar

You probrably need to find a indian friend and get them to show you,
my wife learnt from her mum when she got married she did not know a
thing before. Alternatively look into you tube to find some shows or
find some indian cooking shows on some indian bit torrent sites, nina
metha books are quite good you can get them on amazon.
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

On Jan 17, 8:07*pm, wrote:
> Hi, I have tried many recipes on the internet and NONE of them taste
> like what I get in the indian restaurants.

< MOD SNIP>
> Anyway, I'd like to start by learning to cook
> 1)aloo gobi
> 2)aloo matar

You are partly right in some of the assumptions. Indian restaurants do
make a lot of general purpse stuff. The biggest example is Tomato
Curry Base to make most of the Curry Gravy dishes. Potatoes are cut,
fried, precooked and frozen away like the French Fries in United
States. These potatoes come handy in making dishes such damp curries
such as Aloo Paalak or Aloo Mattar Curry.

As you know the dishes vary from region to region. In Punjab, both are
made as damp.dry curry as well as Soupy Curry. Aloo Gobh is easy to
make at home. Try the following recipe.
http://www.indiacurry.com/vegcurry/v002aloogobhi.htm
This is a polpular damp curry in North India specially duringg social
functions such as wedding receptions. I take a different approach in
my recipes including details as well as the method. Try it and let me
know what you think after you have actually made it.
Yogi
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

On Jan 17, 8:07 pm, wrote:
> Hi, I have tried many recipes on the internet and NONE of them taste
> like what I get in the indian restaurants.

[quoting trimmed by moderator]

Nope but Indian food rocks! If you plan on eating curry, why don't
you try pre-made curry, such as the ones they sell in Trader Joe's or
any ethic market. I buy that stuff all the time and it tastes
AMAZING, just like the restaurants, and all you have to do is heat it
up and mix in your favorite vegetables!

-Saam
http://www.theveggiereview.com

Indian Cooking tan Vegetarian cooking 16 21-08-2013 10:54 AM
A Truth About Indian Cooking tan Asian Cooking 11 03-10-2011 11:07 AM
who like Indian cooking ????? tan Asian Cooking 5 11-08-2011 07:56 AM
Announcement - Indian Cooking in the US... happy General Cooking 0 04-01-2009 05:23 AM
Indian Cooking Classes (in UK) Steve Y[_2_] General Cooking 1 23-10-2007 12:52 PM