MEow

Default Berries

Okay, so I've made that Hot Nutty Butternut Squash, as posted by
Lorraine, and it turned out very good (not exactly health-food; but,
considering how rarely I can get butternut squash, it's hardly anything
to sweat over). I've saved the other recipes for next time I manage to
find butternut squash.

Now: in order to get the currants for that recipe, I bough a 300g packet
of frozen, mixed berries, so I could pick out the currants and toss the
rest in the freezer, before it defrosted too much (okay, so some
blueberries also made it into the dish, but who cares?), so now I have
the rest of the packet in my freezer, containing strawberries,
raspberries, blueberries and blackberries, plus whatever currants I
might have missed, due to having to sort them out so fast.

As odd as it might sound: I don't have any ideas as to what to do with
them, apart from eating them with (soy) ice cream or similar, and I
don't want to do that. I'd especially appreciate any non-dessert ideas
for using those berries.
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 22:38:18 GMT, MEow > took a
very strange rock and inscribed these words:

>As odd as it might sound: I don't have any ideas as to what to do with
>them, apart from eating them with (soy) ice cream or similar, and I
>don't want to do that. I'd especially appreciate any non-dessert ideas
>for using those berries.

Um, oddly enough, the only thing that comes immediately to mind is
Pemmican. (-;

I did happen to find a vegetarian recipe that you might adapt
http://www.ncf.ca/~ag384/VeggiePemmican.txt

Another thought was that they might taste good with some of the TVP
products such as fake ground beef, but I'm blanking on what else to
eat with them. I guess anything that you would serve to accompany a
holiday meal, since sweets are often a part of holiday foods, would be
good.

You did think already of the obvious ideas like putting them in your
breakfast oatmeal, pancakes, waffles and the like?

--
Therese Shellabarger / The Roving Reporter - Civis Mundi
/ http://tlshell.cnc.net/
MEow

While frolicking around in rec.food.veg.cooking, Woof Ridge of said:

>Muffins or any other quick bread. You don't even need a special recipe,
>just throw in a cup or two of berries (frozen is ok) and then bake.
>Good for breakfasts.

I've never made muffins. Actually I'm not entirely sure that I've ever
eaten one, but I found a low-fat recipe, which includes berries, so
maybe I could try that if I can't come up with something else, though I
understand that you need special forms to bake them in, right?
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN
"Join my campaign to saw off Mexico!" Kasatka (afdaniain)
Carey

----Big Mod sniop -------

> I bough a 300g packet
> of frozen, mixed berries, so I could pick out the currants and toss the
> rest in the freezer, before it defrosted too much ......
> As odd as it might sound: I don't have any ideas as to what to do with
> them, apart from eating them with (soy) ice cream or similar
><Mod snip><

Smoothies (for breakfast or lunch...whir them, frozen, in a blender with
yogurt/juice/soymilk)....
You could also try making some sort of yummy sauce for "mock roasted duck"
or something similar...duck is often served with berry sauces.

Carey
Dr Engelbert Buxbaum

MEow wrote:

> As odd as it might sound: I don't have any ideas as to what to do with
> them, apart from eating them with (soy) ice cream or similar, and I
> don't want to do that. I'd especially appreciate any non-dessert ideas
> for using those berries.

You could use them in Austrian-style sweet main dishes. For example
blended with yoghurt (which can be eaten by the lactose intollerant
because the lactose is digested by the bacteria used for making yoghurt)
they make a nice gravy for dumplings (serve the cold fruit yoghurt with
the hot dumplings for contrast).

One way of making the dumplings (/Dampfnudeln/) is to prepare a yeast
dough, form dumplings (3-4 cm diameter), incubate in a warm place for
half an hour until they have at least doubled in size and then fry in a
pan with a little butter, a pinch of salt and some milk. Put a lid on
the pan to steam the dumplings for about 20-30 min. At the end of the
process the pan should be dry, the dumplings done and with a nice,
golden, crunchy crust underneath. Calculate about 4 dumplings per
person.
MEow

While frolicking around in rec.food.veg.cooking, Dr Engelbert Buxbaum of
T-Online said:

>You could use them in Austrian-style sweet main dishes. For example
>blended with yoghurt (which can be eaten by the lactose intollerant
>because the lactose is digested by the bacteria used for making yoghurt)
>they make a nice gravy for dumplings (serve the cold fruit yoghurt with
>the hot dumplings for contrast).

Yoghurt is in the group of items containing 1 - 3 g lactose pr. 100g of
the product. I tried eating some once, but couldn't stomach it without
taking a Lactrase-tablet (digests the lactose for you, and is the same
enzyme as healthy people produce in their stomach, but which lactose
intolerant people can only produce very little of; the amount differs,
and some lactose intolerant people *can* digest yoghurt, but I can't). I
don't want to use the tablets too often, though.

However, I've found some quite good soy "yoghurt" which isn't as overly
sweet as they tend to be, so maybe I could try that.
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN
"Barbara Cartland's arj range of cosmetics..."Cruelty without Beauty"
Skipweasel - master of tqt (Sheddie)