Phillip Harris

Default protein levels---spinach?

Can somebody tell me the protein levels in spinach and silverbeet please.
Phill.

<MOD NOTE>

100 grams of raw spinach has approximately 2.2 grams of protein. I don't know
what "silverbeets" are. Sounds exotic. You can find out the nutrient values for most foods on this web site ==>

http://www.jtcwd.com/vegie/nutrition/facts.html

The US Dept of Agriculture also has a free software program that can be downloaded and installed and which contains the entire USDA database allowing one to search from one's PC.
HTH

gil
Katherine Wolfe

In article >,
says...

> "Silverbeet" is another name for Swiss chard (the name is
> used in Oz, I believe).

Thanks, another vegetable name I didn't know.

> In case you don't have it there, it's botanically a beet
> that has been bred to have lots of (delicious!) leaves and
> small roots, unlike regular beets.

It's great, especially the red chard - nice dark green leaves with
lovely red ribs, and a bit more tooth than spinach, with a slightly
"greener" taste. It also stands up to stir-frying a lot better than
spinach, because of it's more substantial texture.

> Also, knowing that you moderators are English: if you're
> not aware of it, beet greens (the beet's leaves) are also a
> very lovely, lovely green: just steam lightly until they
> wilt, sprinkle with lemon juice, and enjoy. Again, the
> taste is similar to spinach.

Chard and beet greens are also great done with Indian spices and lime
juice. Heat some oil in a wok or other wide frying pan, put in some
cumin, tumeric, paprika or cayenne, and some garlic (or asafetida for
purists). Have the greens cut into strips, at the ready, and at the
moment that the oil is very hot and the spices fragrant, dump the whole
lot of greens into the pan, squeeze a lime over them, and stir furiously
until just wilted. Serve with lime wedges, and hot sauce for the
adventurous. The taste of spinach would disappear under the onslaught
of spices, but they bring out the flavor of more assertive greens like
beet greens and chard. A very nice counterpoint to rice and dahl.

Katherine

Hemp protein vs. Whey protein ImStillMags General Cooking 6 17-08-2010 07:57 PM
"Traditionally, Old World wines tend to be earthier, with loweralcohol levels and higher acidity, while New World wines tend to be morefruit-forward with lower acidity and higher alcohol levels." aesthete8 Wine 0 08-08-2010 04:53 AM
Protein source for breakfast other than eggs, meat, or protein powder amandaF General Cooking 177 09-03-2009 07:33 PM
SO2 levels after ML Mark Winemaking 2 27-09-2005 04:46 PM
Plant Protein vs Animal Protein [email protected] Vegan 2 09-01-2005 05:32 AM