Will Yardley

Default Vegan / Vegetarian Paella recipe

I wrote this out today for a friend and figured I'd post to the group as
well.

*Very* loosely adapted from a (non-vegetarian) recipe in "Rice,
Ristotto, Pilaff, and Paella" by Christine Ingram (ISBN 1842157906)
(page 112).

You can substitute on the vegetables if you want; frozen broad beans
would be a good addition. I'd also like to try it with fake
(Vegetarian) chorizo. Best made in a 6-8 person carbon steel paella pan.
You will want to do all of your prep work in advance.

To order rice, saffron, paprika, paella pans, and other stuff, there are
a number of online sources; in the US, The Spanish Table (in SF) seems
to be pretty good. Google them for more info.

Vegetarian Paella

5-6 Tbsp of olive oil (I mix a little grapeseed oil too)
2 onions, diced
1 large / two small shallot(s), diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 3/4 C bomba (or arborio if you can't get bomba) rice
1 or 2 bell peppers, different colors, sliced
1/4 lb or more of chanterelle mushrooms brushed w/ a mushroom brush and
chopped, including stems
5-6 cremini mushrooms or 1 small-medium portabello chopped
2 ripe tomatoes, peeled [1], seeded and chopped
1 Japanese (small) eggplant, diced
1 head broccoli, florets removed
Artichoke hearts (fresh is better, but canned is fine) [2]
pinch saffron toasted, then dissolved in 2 Tbsp hot water
1/4 C white wine
4 C (or a little more) hot vegetable stock; dilute a bit with water if
using a commercial stock
Olives
salt, pepper to taste
spanish paprika
lemon wedges, optional cheese for garnish

Saute onions and garlic for 4-5 minutes on medium / med-high heat or
until somewhat brown. Add peppers, saute for another 3-4 minutes. Add
mushrooms, and other vegetables except the tomatoes; saute for a little
longer. Add tomatoes, cook for a little until the mixture is kind of
thick. The pan should be fuller of "stuff" than you expect.

While the mixture is thickening, toast the saffron a little until its
aroma is released; add 2 Tbsp hot water (I've also used a little white
wine).

Add the white wine; add the hot stock, saffron liquid, and salt / pepper
/ paprika to taste; bring to a boil. Add the rice, and stir just enough
to evenly distribute the rice.

Unless you can cook this over an open fire, or have a very large grill
or range on your stovetop, the best bet is probably to cook on the stove
and then transfer to the oven halfway through, or else cook at the very
bottom of the oven for the entire time (that will only work on a gas
oven, though) at 375 degrees.

Cook, without stirring, for about 20 minutes, add olives on top, cook
another 4-5 minutes. Add more liquid if necessary. Rice should be
slightly al dente at this point. Remove from heat, and cover with a wet
dish towel or aluminium foil, and let sit for another 10 minutes.

Serve with lemon wedges and optional cheese.

[1] To peel tomatoes, put in boiling water for 20-30 seconds and then
run under cold water; the skin should peel off easily

[2] Last time I made this, my mother had just brought down some fresh
baby artichokes from Northern California. We boiled them, trimmed off
the outer leaves, and stuck them in half or whole (depending on size)...
very tasty, and well worth the trouble if you can get fresh baby
artichokes.

You kind of need to have a pan that's close to the right size / shape
(I've done it in a cast iron skillet before, but really you should use a
paella pan like the one I am using here).

--
No copies, please.
To reply privately, simply reply; don't remove anything.
Will Yardley

On 2004-01-16, Will Yardley > wrote:

> I wrote this out today for a friend and figured I'd post to the group as
> well.

> Olives

Sorry for the self follow-up. The olives should be coarsely sliced.
Also, I put up a couple of pictures:

http://newdream.net/~wby/p1.jpg
(in progress, on the oven floor)

http://newdream.net/~wby/p2.jpg
(finished product)

--
No copies, please.
To reply privately, simply reply; don't remove anything.
Louise Bremner

Will Yardley > wrote:

> > I wrote this out today for a friend and figured I'd post to the group as
> > well.

> > Olives

> Sorry for the self follow-up. The olives should be coarsely sliced.
> Also, I put up a couple of pictures:
>
> http://newdream.net/~wby/p1.jpg
> (in progress, on the oven floor)
>
> http://newdream.net/~wby/p2.jpg
> (finished product)

You know, I skipped over your original post because I thought that a
veggie Paella would be too boring, but those pictures tempt me (would
have to do a lot of substitutions for the ingredients, but the concept
looks delicious). I especially like the movement of the hand doing the
"Ta-dah" gesture....

Louise Bremner (log at gol dot com)
If you want a reply by e-mail, don't write to my Yahoo address!