Default Recipes Using Nuts in cooking?

I'm looking for recipes that use mixed nuts as the protein. I don't
want sandwich spreads, I'd rather have a main dish or vegetable stew.
The reason is that I've come into a bunch of stale nuts from trail
mixes, they're not exactly palatable for hand eating but would be fine
with other foods. I have a bunch of cookbooks but nothing that would
seem to include mixed nuts. They're mainly whole or broken peanuts and
almonds with some pumpkin and sunflower seeds.

--
Therese Shellabarger / The Roving Reporter - Civis Mundi
/ http://tlshell.cnc.net/
Plug

> wrote in message
news
>> I'm looking for recipes that use mixed nuts as the protein. I've come

into a bunch of stale nuts
snip
Nuts do not keep for ever - they go rancid. I don't think it's a good idea
to use them in cooking if they have passed their best. There was a good
idea on here recently to use nuts when making soup to give it a creamy
taste; I also use nuts in stuffing and for crumble topping. I avoid walnuts
unless it's for a special recipe as the flavour is very distinctive - but
most nuts can be interchangeable. I also eat them as a snack - so they very
rarely go rancid on me!
Deb

Kate Pugh

wrote:
> I'm looking for recipes that use mixed nuts as the protein. I don't
> want sandwich spreads, I'd rather have a main dish or vegetable stew.

Grind 'em up and put 'em in a stew, then! Here's one that uses peanuts:
http://www.earth.li/~kake/cookery/re...anut-stew.html

> The reason is that I've come into a bunch of stale nuts from trail
> mixes, they're not exactly palatable for hand eating but would be fine
> with other foods.

Deb's got a good point though - if they're rancid you may not want to
eat them. Or is it just that their texture's suffered but you're sure
the oils haven't turned?

Kake
MEow

While frolicking around in rec.food.veg.cooking, Keith Michaels of The
Boeing Company said:

>Peanuts seem to go well with corn. Here's how I do it:
>
>Toast one cup of whole peanuts in a dry pan until brown spots appear,
>set aside. Saute a chopped onion in oil for a minute, then add two
>red chillis and a bay leaf and saute until onion is golden. Add two
>cups of whole kernel corn (thaw if frozen) and peanuts and salt to
>taste. Toss together and cook a few minutes until flavors are blended.
>Put in serving dish and garnish with cilantro or sesame seeds.

Thanks. I'll try that with the peanuts I have, one day. When I toast
the peanuts, should that be on high, medium or low heat?
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856

Keith Michaels

In article >,
MEow > writes:
|> Thanks. I'll try that with the peanuts I have, one day. When I toast
|> the peanuts, should that be on high, medium or low heat?

Low heat. Don't burn them!