Susie Q

Default The BK veggie burger

Tried this today and yuck. I had it in "whopper" form and the first
couple of bites were decent but after awhile its just gross. It had no
"meatish" flavor but was merely and obviously carrots, onions, red
peppers and something I couldn't quite put my finger on. lol. Anybody
know what this type of burger is called so I can avoid it? Are the
morningstar ones like this?
Vicky Conlan

According to >:
>> Tried this today and yuck.

>Try Quorn Hamburgers instead.

I've always found quorn burgers too dry. They're still a 'low fat' food
rather than a 'vegetarian' food. But in the UK, most major supermarkets
do a decent veggie quarter pounder (typically about 1.49 for a packet of
2), and I'm quite fond of them in a non-vegetable kind of way.

--
http://comps.org/ <> http://comps-offline.co.uk/ <> http://comps-online.co.uk/
ADVENT COMPETITIONS: http://comps.org/advent/list.html
C. James Strutz

"Susie Q" > wrote in message
> Tried this today and yuck. I had it in "whopper" form and the first
> couple of bites were decent but after awhile its just gross. It had no
> "meatish" flavor but was merely and obviously carrots, onions, red
> peppers and something I couldn't quite put my finger on. lol. Anybody
> know what this type of burger is called so I can avoid it? Are the
> morningstar ones like this?

If you expect that veggie burgers will taste like meat then you will always
be disappointed. They are a sandwich in their own right. Morningstar Spicy
Black Bean burgers are my favorite.
Kate

I understand what you mean, James. Like carob is awful if you expect it
to taste like chocolate but is okay as it's own flavor. But I disagree
about veggie burgers never tasting like meat. It has been a long time
since I've eaten a meat burger but I really love Boca Burgers. They
have what I remember as a real meat flavor. The texture is good, too.
They look quite a bit like the soybean burgers from grade school - taste
better though.

Cheers,
Kate

C. James Strutz wrote:
> If you expect that veggie burgers will taste like meat then you will

always
> be disappointed. They are a sandwich in their own right. Morningstar Spicy
> Black Bean burgers are my favorite.

Peter

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 13:14:51 GMT, Frogleg > wrote:

>I am an omnivore and frankly don't understand why a vegetarian would
>seek meat-like flavor while distaining/giving up/choosing not to eat
>meat itself.

There are some vegetarians who've given up eating meat for moral
reasons, and in spite of the fact that they actually like the
taste/texture/whatever of it. For them, a meat substitute gives them a
taste/texture/whatever that they enjoy without them actually eating
meat.

(I'm lucky: I don't fall into this category, even though I ate meat
until I was in my mid-twenties. But I can understand, and sympathise
with, the difficulties faced by people who crave meat but feel the
need to deny themselves the actuality. Mind you, I do find it a bit
difficult when I eat in a Pizza Hut and someone on the next table has
pepperoni on their pizza.)

Peter.
Frogleg

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 18:25:37 GMT, Peter >
wrote:

>On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 13:14:51 GMT, Frogleg > wrote:
>

>>I am an omnivore and frankly don't understand why a vegetarian would
>>seek meat-like flavor while distaining/giving up/choosing not to eat
>>meat itself.

>There are some vegetarians who've given up eating meat for moral
>reasons, and in spite of the fact that they actually like the
>taste/texture/whatever of it. For them, a meat substitute gives them a
>taste/texture/whatever that they enjoy without them actually eating
>meat.

I take your point. Perhaps the same as a diabetic with a powerful
hunger for candy? I *do* admire veg cuisines that have evolved
*without* having to seem meat-like. If someone else would do the prep,
I'd switch to south Indian food in a heartbeat. :-)

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 13:14:51 GMT, Frogleg > took a
very strange color crayon and scribbled:

>I once watched the preparation of a veggie-burger recipe
>on CNN that involved at least 6 separate cooking, chopping, mixing
>arrangements of perhaps 10 foods to produce a patty-shaped object that
>would (after a final cooking) fit onto a hamburger bun. Why not spend
>the same time and effort on genuinely vegetarian dishes that *don't*
>have to look/taste like meat?

I don't do all that. Usually if I want a "patty" I just buy the
pre-made veggie ones in the freezer section of my grocery store. If I
want to make one, I can buy a mix that works with mashed tofu or water
and/or egg and then fry on both sides in a skillet.

--
Therese Shellabarger / The Roving Reporter - Civis Mundi
/ http://tlshell.cnc.net/

Try Boca Burgers from the stores. They are very good and come in many
flavours.
Matt

Susie Q wrote:
> Tried this today and yuck. I had it in "whopper" form and the first
> couple of bites were decent but after awhile its just gross. It had no
> "meatish" flavor but was merely and obviously carrots, onions, red
> peppers and something I couldn't quite put my finger on. lol. Anybody
> know what this type of burger is called so I can avoid it? Are the
> morningstar ones like this?

Pine106887

<< Try Boca Burgers from the stores. They are very good and come in many
flavours.
Matt
>><

The Boca burgers *are* terrific but are not kosher. Periodically, I go to
their Web site and remind them that there are a bunch of people who would love
to be customers if they'd go kosher.

pine
Starve a troll, feed a fever, that's my motto.
Happy Thoughts

Frogleg wrote:
> I am an omnivore and frankly don't understand why a vegetarian would
> seek meat-like flavor while distaining/giving up/choosing not to eat
> meat itself.

Many years ago, before I'd become vegetarian myself, my brother-in-law
(veggie since the '70s) was visiting us. He expressed very much the
same feelings you have. Although there were very few veggie burger-type
products back then, he refused to eat the few that were available, such
as fake bacon. To him, it made no sense to seek out something that
supposedly tastes like its meat counterpart if you're vegetarian. I've
been veggie since the '80s--and I totally disagree!

I became vegetarian due to ethical issues with the
cruelty/abuse/mistreatment/slaughter of animals. I never claimed that
the TASTE of meat bothered me! I occasionally have a craving for a
'hamburger' with the works--lettuce, tomato, ketchup, bun, etc., or a
'hot dog' with relish, onions, mustard, etc. When that happens, I get
some of the Morningstar Farms 'burgers' or one of several brands of
veggie hot dogs that I like and have fun! Usually, though, I buy the
other varieties of Morningstar Farms veggie burgers; the Tomato and
Basil Pizza Burgers and the Garden Veggie Patties are my favorites.

> I once watched the preparation of a veggie-burger recipe
> on CNN that involved at least 6 separate cooking, chopping, mixing
> arrangements of perhaps 10 foods to produce a patty-shaped object that
> would (after a final cooking) fit onto a hamburger bun. Why not spend
> the same time and effort on genuinely vegetarian dishes that *don't*
> have to look/taste like meat?

Because we're not all vegetarians for the same reasons? Or because we
want to prepare a dish that our non-veggie guests will feel at home
with? During a recent visit, my mother was astonished at the tacos I
made using the 'fake ground meat' crumbles. She actually asked me if I
was still vegetarian...she thought it was real meat. And they tasted great!

BTW, personally, *I* would never spend my time preparing something like
you've described, when I can grab a package of veggie burgers from my
freezer and be eating in a few minutes!

--

"Be cool, not cruel!"
and other vegetarian items:
Jesse Meyer

Frogleg > wrote:
> I am an omnivore and frankly don't understand why a vegetarian would
> seek meat-like flavor while distaining/giving up/choosing not to eat
> meat itself. I once watched the preparation of a veggie-burger recipe
> on CNN that involved at least 6 separate cooking, chopping, mixing
> arrangements of perhaps 10 foods to produce a patty-shaped object that
> would (after a final cooking) fit onto a hamburger bun. Why not spend
> the same time and effort on genuinely vegetarian dishes that *don't*
> have to look/taste like meat?

Animal products, other then their taste, actually play a role in food.

For example, take 'veganaise'. Am I using it to replace the taste of
mayonaise? Nope. I'm using it because sandwiches taste a little better
with some fatty spread.

If they sold 'vegan sandwich spread', I'd be less likely to buy it.
But, since they call it veganaise, I know it might act like mayonaise,
and be used in the same way.

And a lot of the time, the vegan products does not taste anything like the
animal-based product it replaces, but works in the same way. (Tuno
falls under this category for me - YMMV)

Just my $.02

--
"Even the samurai
have teddy bears, icq: 34583382

Frogleg

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:10:43 GMT, Happy Thoughts
> wrote:

>Frogleg wrote:
>> I am an omnivore and frankly don't understand why a vegetarian would
>> seek meat-like flavor while distaining/giving up/choosing not to eat
>> meat itself.

>Many years ago, before I'd become vegetarian myself, my brother-in-law
>(veggie since the '70s) was visiting us. He expressed very much the
>same feelings you have. Although there were very few veggie burger-type
>products back then, he refused to eat the few that were available, such
>as fake bacon. To him, it made no sense to seek out something that
>supposedly tastes like its meat counterpart if you're vegetarian. I've
>been veggie since the '80s--and I totally disagree!

Hmmm. My thoughtful reply doesn't seem to have gotten through.

I believe I thanked you for your information, which made sense to me.

I also said I didn't agree with preparing burger-like things non-veg
types would be "comfortable" with. Like fixing Greek food for a
visiting Greek friend. :-) They can get much better at home -- if my
specialty were Thai (or vegetarian), I'd cook *my* idea of good stuff.

Happy Thoughts

Frogleg wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:10:43 GMT, Happy Thoughts
> > wrote:
>
>>Frogleg wrote:
>>>I am an omnivore and frankly don't understand why a vegetarian would
>>>seek meat-like flavor while distaining/giving up/choosing not to eat
>>>meat itself.

< mod snip >
> Hmmm. My thoughtful reply doesn't seem to have gotten through.

Yeah, sorry about that, but with the plethora of spam these days I've
resorted to using bogus addresses in newsgroups.

> I believe I thanked you for your information, which made sense to me.

Thank you. That's nice to hear!

> I also said I didn't agree with preparing burger-like things non-veg
> types would be "comfortable" with. Like fixing Greek food for a
> visiting Greek friend. :-) They can get much better at home -- if my
> specialty were Thai (or vegetarian), I'd cook *my* idea of good stuff.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. :-) IMO, it's comforting,
especially for older people, to have something "familiar" on the menu
when they're visiting other people. I know that for -my- relatives that
approach has worked out very well over the years. But, to each his/her own!

--

"My parents are pro-choice...and they vote!"
and other pregnancy/pro-choice items:
Frogleg

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 19:34:06 GMT, Happy Thoughts
> wrote:

>> I also said I didn't agree with preparing burger-like things non-veg
>> types would be "comfortable" with.

>I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. :-) IMO, it's comforting,
>especially for older people, to have something "familiar" on the menu
>when they're visiting other people. I know that for -my- relatives that
>approach has worked out very well over the years. But, to each his/her own!

Oh. I was thinking of my *own* preferences. Invited to a meal by a
vegetarian, I would be looking forward to something new I could
incorporate into my own menus. And perhaps overcoming my fear of tofu
(cooking it, not eating it). *I'd* be disappointed to be accomodated
by a vege-burger rather than offered a neat main-dish casserole. :-)
Happy Thoughts

Frogleg wrote:
>>I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. :-) IMO, it's comforting,
>>especially for older people, to have something "familiar" on the menu
>>when they're visiting other people. I know that for -my- relatives that
>>approach has worked out very well over the years. But, to each his/her own!

> Oh. I was thinking of my *own* preferences. Invited to a meal by a
> vegetarian, I would be looking forward to something new I could
> incorporate into my own menus. And perhaps overcoming my fear of tofu
> (cooking it, not eating it). *I'd* be disappointed to be accomodated
> by a vege-burger rather than offered a neat main-dish casserole. :-)

You know what? I see your point! :-)

But upon further reflection I realized that we already do that, too.
Normally, when we have houseguests, they stay for two or more weeks.
During that time we do BOTH--we make 'familiar' dishes as I described
and we also make veggie things as you described.

BTW, I enjoy bantering back and forth with you!

--

"Vegetarians save lives every day"
and other veggie items:
Frogleg

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 08:59:10 GMT, Happy Thoughts
> wrote:

>Frogleg wrote:

>> Oh. I was thinking of my *own* preferences. Invited to a meal by a
>> vegetarian, I would be looking forward to something new

>You know what? I see your point! :-)
>
>But upon further reflection I realized that we already do that, too.
>Normally, when we have houseguests, they stay for two or more weeks.
>During that time we do BOTH--we make 'familiar' dishes as I described
>and we also make veggie things as you described.

Oh, I wouldn't be visiting for 2 weeks -- just dinner. :-)

>BTW, I enjoy bantering back and forth with you!

Thanks. Me, too. I came 'here' to find some veg recipes to broaden my
horizons and widen my vistas.
Sam D.

"Susie Q" > wrote in message
> Tried this today and yuck. I had it in "whopper" form and the first
> couple of bites were decent but after awhile its just gross. It had no
> "meatish" flavor but was merely and obviously carrots, onions, red
> peppers and something I couldn't quite put my finger on. lol. Anybody
> know what this type of burger is called so I can avoid it? Are the
> morningstar ones like this?

Here are the ingredients:
Water, mushrooms, water chestnuts, cooked brown rice, textured wheat
protein, rolled oats, vital wheat gluten, frozen onions, corn oil, frozen
carrots, potato starch, frozen green peppers, frozen red peppers, 2% or less
of onion powder, corn starch, black olives, methyl cellulose, salt, modified
tapioca starch, rice flour, yeast extract, oat fiber, sugar, potato dextrin,
konjac flour, garlic powder, black pepper, maltodextrin, natural flavors
from non-meat sources, dextrose, sodium bicarbonate, sodium acid
pyrophosphate, hydrolyzed corn gluten, malt extract, sage, grill flavor,
basil, raisin juice concentrate, oregano, jalapeno pepper powder, sesame
oil, modified corn starch, corn syrup solids, natural smoke flavoring,
celery oleoresin, wine, citric acid, caramel color, and xanthan gum.

I have no idea just what some of these things are!! I did try the BK veggie
burger and my opinion was that if it were properly prepared, which mine
wasn't, it would have tasted pretty good. It is not an attempt to simulate
the taste of a beef patty. I knew that BK often re-warms sandwich items in
the microwave which is something I detest. So before ordering I asked
whether I would be getting a freshly cooked to order veggie burger or one
already cooked that would be re-heated. "Fresh," they answered. It was
delivered to me in about 30 seconds, hardly time to cook it to order, so go
figure. It was a typical, re-heated, soggy mess. Yukkh!! That was probably a
year or more ago and it was the last time I ate at BK. And btw, I'm an
omnivore who enjoys well prepared vegetarian foods which is the reason I was
giving this a try.

Soytempeh

Have you tried or tempeh? You won't know that it is tempeh because it doesn't
have the usual tempeh flavor/taste that some people don't like.

When we first started making tempeh and years after that we were still
struggling tryting to get rid of the tempeh taste/flavor that non tempeh eaters
don't like.

But through a new process that we have "recently" discovered our tempeh taste
delicious. We added nothing to our tempeh. Just soybeans, no celery, carrots,
cereals, etc.or preservatives added to our tempeh.

Our website is http://www.soytempeh.com

Thanks for visiting our website.

>Subject: The BK veggie burger
>From: Jesse Meyer
>Date: 2/27/2004 12:54 PM Pacific Standard Time
>
>Frogleg > wrote:
>> I am an omnivore and frankly don't understand why a vegetarian would
>> seek meat-like flavor while distaining/giving up/choosing not to eat
>> meat itself.

< mod snip>
Tesoro

"Peter" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 13:14:51 GMT, Frogleg > wrote:
>
>> need to deny themselves the actuality. Mind you, I do find it a bit

> difficult when I eat in a Pizza Hut and someone on the next table has
> pepperoni on their pizza.)
>
> Peter.

If you are eating the pizza at the Hut then you are consuming animal
products. Its in the sauce...
mangodance

Tesoro wrote:
> If you are eating the pizza at the Hut then you are consuming animal
> products. Its in the sauce...

I don't...but what is in the sauce?
Peter

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 08:45:38 GMT, "Tesoro" >
wrote:

>"Peter" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 13:14:51 GMT, Frogleg > wrote:
>>
>>> need to deny themselves the actuality. Mind you, I do find it a bit

>> difficult when I eat in a Pizza Hut and someone on the next table has
>> pepperoni on their pizza.)
>>
>> Peter.

>If you are eating the pizza at the Hut then you are consuming animal
>products. Its in the sauce...

Curious. I see (from the article headers) that you appear to be in
North America. I'm in England. I wonder if they use different recipes
on different sides of the Atlantic? I recall that the Vegetarian
Society here was satisfied that UK Pizza Hut pizzas were OK.

Peter.
Steven Hoover

<snip>

> >If you are eating the pizza at the Hut then you are consuming animal
> >products. Its in the sauce...

> Curious. I see (from the article headers) that you appear to be in
> North America. I'm in England. I wonder if they use different recipes
> on different sides of the Atlantic? I recall that the Vegetarian
> Society here was satisfied that UK Pizza Hut pizzas were OK.
>
> Peter.

According to http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Olym.../pizzahut.html, the
pizza sauce starts with beef base, at least the sauce they use in the
states. Pizza Hut has been off my list for many years.
Kathy

Tesoro

"mangodance" > wrote in message
> Tesoro wrote:
> > If you are eating the pizza at the Hut then you are consuming animal
> > products. Its in the sauce...

> I don't...but what is in the sauce?

Not all of their sauces are created equal it seems. The stuffed crust pizza
sauce has chicken fat in it and the bread stick and pasta sauce uses a beef
base. Apparentely the regular pizza sauce has been changed to remove the
beef base.
Tesoro

"Peter" > wrote in message
> Curious. I see (from the article headers) that you appear to be in
> North America. I'm in England. I wonder if they use different recipes
> on different sides of the Atlantic? I recall that the Vegetarian
> Society here was satisfied that UK Pizza Hut pizzas were OK.
>
> Peter.

I can't find anything specific to the UK but some may find this site
informative:

http://www.soundvision.com/Info/hala...y/fastfood.asp

[[ moderator note I: Article quoting trimmed. ]]

[[ mod note II: The munged/anti-spam e-mail address on this article prevents
us moderators from referring the article back to the author to request that
they edit or substantiate their claims. We moderators are forced to either
accept flawed articles, trim them ourselves, add notes to this effect, or reluctantly just bin them. Frustrating to all concerned. If you munge your
address, please include unmunge details. --Geraint </rant> ;-) ]]
Peter

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 06:05:48 GMT, "Steven Hoover"
> wrote:

>According to http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Olym.../pizzahut.html, the
>pizza sauce starts with beef base, at least the sauce they use in the
>states. Pizza Hut has been off my list for many years.

I've just had a look at the Pizza Hut UK web site
(http://www.pizzahut.co.uk/). They make explicit claims on their menu
in respect of some (obviously not all) pizzas that "The recipe for
these dishes does not contain meat or fish.". I can't believe that
they'd do that if their sauce started from a beef base.

Peter.
Steven Hoover

"Peter" > wrote in message
<snip>
> I've just had a look at the Pizza Hut UK web site
> (http://www.pizzahut.co.uk/). They make explicit claims on their menu
> in respect of some (obviously not all) pizzas that "The recipe for
> these dishes does not contain meat or fish.". I can't believe that
> they'd do that if their sauce started from a beef base.
>
> Peter.

I checked Pizza Hut's US website and couldn't find a similar statement. So
I called the 800 number and talked to a very nice person named Kimberly who
said there is no beef base in their sauce in the US. Neither she nor I
could find that specific information on the website, but she said the
nutrition guide available in Pizza Hut restaurants lists the ingredients as
"Tomato paste, water, salt, spices, and citric acid." Pizza Hut is back on
my list of places I can eat! Thanks, Peter.
Kathy