Al Dykes

Default Raisins as a healthy snack ?

I am a recent to a largely veggie diet and I find I've deleloped a
weakness for raisins and probably eat too many and I know thay have
lots of sugar. Is eating raisins only a little better than eating
sugar candy ounce for ounce ?

--
Al Dykes
-----------

usual suspect

Al Dykes wrote:
> I am a recent to a largely veggie diet and I find I've deleloped a
> weakness for raisins and probably eat too many and I know thay have
> lots of sugar. Is eating raisins only a little better than eating
> sugar candy ounce for ounce ?

Raisins are just dried grapes. As such, you get the same nutrients in a
fairly condensed form. You get some vitamins and minerals that you
wouldn't get from candy, but you also get a little bit of fiber (50%
more per serving size than a Snicker's bar, iirc). In moderation,
raisins are a fine substitute for candy; prunes, though, have more
vitamin A, more fiber, and fewer carbs (simple). Compare the nutritional
data for yourself:

raisins: http://tinyurl.com/vzy7
dried prunes: http://tinyurl.com/vzyb

NOTE that the 100 gram analysis is 2.5 times the normal serving size
listed on most packages of raisins. I don't have a package of prunes
around here to see what the serving size is for those.
Dr Engelbert Buxbaum

Al Dykes wrote:

> I am a recent to a largely veggie diet and I find I've deleloped a
> weakness for raisins and probably eat too many and I know thay have
> lots of sugar. Is eating raisins only a little better than eating
> sugar candy ounce for ounce ?

Raisins are dried fruit and contain a lot more than just sugar: fibre,
minerals, vitamins, antioxidants.

But do make sure you clean your teeth well after eating them, they stick
like hell and the high sugar content promotes tooth decay.

Healthy Lifestyle With Easy Healthy Recipes Kalmia Baking 0 12-10-2011 12:42 AM
Healthy Lifestyle With Easy Healthy Recipes Chemo the Clown[_2_] Preserving 0 14-09-2011 11:48 PM
Oil on My Raisins... jim Winemaking 12 31-05-2007 06:00 PM
ko- Nabisco Snack Well's Banana Snack Bars ~*~ Bunny ~*~ Recipes 0 13-11-2004 04:14 PM
Raisins Tepe Winemaking 0 19-08-2004 01:04 PM