Kindrick Ownby

Default Tomato sauce substitute

I have decided to give up tomatoes, but still want
to make an occasional pizza.

Van anyone suggest a replacement sauce for home-
made pizza?

Many thanks,

Kindrick
Naughyde

>I have decided to give up tomatoes, but still want
>to make an occasional pizza.
>
>Van anyone suggest a replacement sauce for home-
>made pizza?

Red bell pepper puree?
Kindrick Ownby

Naughyde wrote:
>>I have decided to give up tomatoes, but still want
>>to make an occasional pizza.
>>
>>Van anyone suggest a replacement sauce for home-
>>made pizza?

> Red bell pepper puree?

Thank you for the response - an excellent idea.

But, the reason I plan to avoid tomatoes is to
follow the Eat Right 4 Your Type diet, and red
(and green) peppers are on the AVOID list for
my blood type (A).

Thanks again,

Kindrick
dolo

Kindrick Ownby > wrote in news:k5_fb.27588$dk4.828539
@typhoon.sonic.net:

> I have decided to give up tomatoes, but still want
> to make an occasional pizza.
>
> Van anyone suggest a replacement sauce for home-
> made pizza?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Kindrick

How about white pizza? Here are a handful of recipes from Recipe Source:

http://tinyurl.com/ptp2

I prefer the ones that are garlic-sauce based, rather than feta/spinach
combos, though those are good too.

I haven't tried to make any of these, I am lucky that there is an
excellent pizzeria around the corner from me!

HTH, tho'!
dolo

[Moderator's note: Not all the results on that recipesource search are
vegetarian, but a fair number of them are, so I'm deeming this post
to be on-topic. ]
Louise Bremner

Kindrick Ownby > wrote:

> I have decided to give up tomatoes, but still want
> to make an occasional pizza.
>
> Van anyone suggest a replacement sauce for home-
> made pizza?

Pesto. Cheese-less if you don't eat dairy.

Louise Bremner (log at gol dot com)
If you want a reply by e-mail, don't write to my Yahoo address!

Vicky Conlan

According to >:
>> Red bell pepper puree?

>Thank you for the response - an excellent idea.
>
>But, the reason I plan to avoid tomatoes is to
>follow the Eat Right 4 Your Type diet, and red
>(and green) peppers are on the AVOID list for
>my blood type (A).

Ooh, interesting. I'm blood group A(-), and I have a severe
dislike of all peppers (to the point of being ill after them
when eaten accidentally most of the time), and although I like
uncooked tomatoes, I also appear to be starting to get a bit
of an odd reaction to them. (blistered tongue!) I had been
assuming that the tomato thing was to do with pesticides, but
it could be the tomato itself.

Maybe I should have a look at this list of foods some time.
--
http://comps.org/ <> http://comps-offline.co.uk/ <> http://comps-online.co.uk/
Jack B

In article >, Vicky Conlan
> wrote:

> According to >:
> >> Red bell pepper puree?

> >Thank you for the response - an excellent idea.
> >
> >But, the reason I plan to avoid tomatoes is to
> >follow the Eat Right 4 Your Type diet, and red
> >(and green) peppers are on the AVOID list for
> >my blood type (A).

> Ooh, interesting. I'm blood group A(-), and I have a severe

That's my group too.

> dislike of all peppers (to the point of being ill after them
> when eaten accidentally most of the time), and although I like
> uncooked tomatoes, I also appear to be starting to get a bit
> of an odd reaction to them. (blistered tongue!) I had been
> assuming that the tomato thing was to do with pesticides, but
> it could be the tomato itself.
>
> Maybe I should have a look at this list of foods some time.

But I love peppers and chiles of all kinds. And I eat them often and
have never noticed a problem.

So... could there be exceptions to the ER4YT lists?

--
Jack
eye of newt

In article >,
Kindrick Ownby > wrote:

> Naughyde wrote:
> >>I have decided to give up tomatoes, but still want
> >>to make an occasional pizza.
> >>
> >>Van anyone suggest a replacement sauce for home-
> >>made pizza?

> > Red bell pepper puree?

> Thank you for the response - an excellent idea.
>
> But, the reason I plan to avoid tomatoes is to
> follow the Eat Right 4 Your Type diet, and red
> (and green) peppers are on the AVOID list for
> my blood type (A).

I have no clue what you can and can't eat.

Why don't you try looking at the possible vegetables you're allowing
yourself to eat annd think about which ones would make an interesting
puree? Caramelized onions would be tasty. Pesto is also quite nice.

ygg
Kindrick Ownby

Vicky Conlan wrote:
[..]
> Ooh, interesting. I'm blood group A(-), and I have a severe
> dislike of all peppers (to the point of being ill after them
> when eaten accidentally most of the time), and although I like
> uncooked tomatoes, I also appear to be starting to get a bit
> of an odd reaction to them. (blistered tongue!) I had been
> assuming that the tomato thing was to do with pesticides, but
> it could be the tomato itself.

I don't know much about the Eat Right plan as yet, but what I
do know is:

1) Type A's are supposedly susceptible to heart disease,

2) I (in my late 60's) am experiencing some symptoms that
could indicate heart problems, and

3) I usually eat many foods that are on the AVOID list for
type A's, notably tomatoes, potatoes, egg plant, peppers,
eggplant, wheat, cabbage and others.

So we (both type A) plan to follow the diet for some time, even
though I have often said I would give up ice cream (also on the
type A AVOID list) before I would give up potatoes. :-)

> Maybe I should have a look at this list of foods some time.

You can look up foods on the Eat Right 4 Your Type web site at

http://www.dadamo.com/typebase/typebase.cgi

Kindrick
Kindrick Ownby

Jack B wrote:
[...]
> But I love peppers and chiles of all kinds. And I eat them often and
> have never noticed a problem.
>
> So... could there be exceptions to the ER4YT lists?

Well, I know practically nothing about it as yet. But there
always seems to be exceptions in this old world!

Kindrick

Tim Lavoie

Kindrick> Jack B wrote: [...]
>> But I love peppers and chiles of all kinds. And I eat them
>> often and have never noticed a problem. So... could there be
>> exceptions to the ER4YT lists?

Kindrick> Well, I know practically nothing about it as yet. But
Kindrick> there always seems to be exceptions in this old world!

Is it just me, or does the ER4YT site reek of jargon-filled quackery?
"Don't eat that, it'll frob your frippentides. Especially on
Tuesdays." Ye gods, plain old black pepper isn't recommended for
ANYONE. Sure, some of the suggestions are good ones for everybody, but
the whole gimmicky bit about blood types starts me looking for the
Three Card Monte game.

I know, I'll start my soon-to-be-patented, Acquired Tastes Diet. You
know, stuff like olives, anchovies and haggis. I haven't decided yet
if the diet should consist of things you have already acquired a taste
for, or only new things you haven't tried yet, and won't like the
first time. The first version might be too easy, and the latter too
hard for newbies to actually get in to. The diet possibilities are
better that way though, since people will eat less when told that
their body type indicates a need for large quantities of pickled eggs
and habanero chiles. Hmm... which is more likely to get my new book on
the Dr. Phil show? <grin>

Cheers!
Louise Bremner

Default Tomato sauce substitute (but drifting way off topic)

> wrote:

> >Maybe I should have a look at this list of foods some time.

> I did a brief look and it appears to be total hogwash. I'm Type O; if
> I followed that diet, I'd be a "hunter-gatherer" who ate meat a lot
> and avoided grains.

I'm Type O too, but my bullshit-detector went off when I read:

"If your blood type is O, enjoy your best health on a high protein,
low carbohydrate diet, and make sure you get plenty of animal protein.
Carry this guide with you ... to avoid putting on those extra pounds
or feeling unwell from eating the wrong thing."

My first step in getting my asthma under control was to _stop_ eating
land-animal proteins (whereupon I lost a lot of extra pounds, too), so
this advice does not apply to all Type-O types.

And don't get me started on blood-group astrology....

Louise Bremner (log at gol dot com)
If you want a reply by e-mail, don't write to my Yahoo address!
Kate Pugh

dolo > wrote:
> How about white pizza? [...]
> I prefer the ones that are garlic-sauce based, rather than feta/spinach
> combos, though those are good too.

Another good thing to do with pizza is spread some garlic puree over the
edges before putting on the main toppings. It makes the crust very tasty.
This might work for the tomato-less case too. I use bought puree from a
tube - I think freshly-made would be too pungent.

Kake
Kate Pugh

eye of newt > wrote:
> Why don't you try looking at the possible vegetables you're allowing
> yourself to eat annd think about which ones would make an interesting
> puree? Caramelized onions would be tasty.

Ooh, caramelized onion would be great on a pizza with some sliced veggie
sausage (Cauldron Foods do some great veggie sausages). I think I'd
really want tomato on it too though

Kake

Vicky Conlan

According to >:
>> Why don't you try looking at the possible vegetables you're allowing
>> yourself to eat annd think about which ones would make an interesting
>> puree? Caramelized onions would be tasty.

>Ooh, caramelized onion would be great on a pizza with some sliced veggie
>sausage (Cauldron Foods do some great veggie sausages). I think I'd
>really want tomato on it too though

Agree with the Cauldron sausages! (Lincolnshire for me, please)
Goes nicely on pizza with broccoli florets, imho.

Is it possible to get barbecue sauce without tomato in it? I'm quite
fond of the smokey barbecue sauce pizzas, but I think they mostly have
a tomato base, so that's probably out.

Has anyone tried brown sauce as a pizza base sauce? Again, I think it
may be high tomato, but it's only just occurred to me whilst thinking
of barbecue sauce. I may have to try it next time I make pizza at home.
--
http://comps.org/ <> http://comps-offline.co.uk/ <> http://comps-online.co.uk/
Jerome

> Is it possible to get barbecue sauce without tomato in it? I'm quite
> fond of the smokey barbecue sauce pizzas, but I think they mostly have
> a tomato base, so that's probably out.
>
> Has anyone tried brown sauce as a pizza base sauce? Again, I think it
> may be high tomato, but it's only just occurred to me whilst thinking
> of barbecue sauce. I may have to try it next time I make pizza at home.
> --

I'm drooling at the moment over the idea of a pizza using a molasses,
onion and plum based sauce, topped with celery, asparagus, sliced kumera
(sweet potato), garlic, mushroom and cheese, sprinkled with rosemary and
chives.

Just an idea.

regards Jerome,
down under with the kiwis.

--
Team Earth Aliens W.H.Q. N.Z.
Acceptance, Fun, Social-Skills, & Support Group
Walter Ian Kaye

In article >,
dolo > wrote:

> Kindrick Ownby > wrote in news:k5_fb.27588$dk4.828539
> @typhoon.sonic.net:
>

> > I have decided to give up tomatoes, but still want
> > to make an occasional pizza.
> >
> > Van anyone suggest a replacement sauce for home-
> > made pizza?
> >
> > Many thanks,
> >
> > Kindrick
> >

> How about white pizza?

Oooh yeah. One of my fave pizzas is just cheese and broccoli.
Simple, yet satisfying.

Whole wheat crust if possible, of course.

-boo
"Without chemicals, Monsanto would be impossible."
Rob Broccoli

Why hasn't anyone mentioned tomatillos? They look
like green tomatoes, taste kind of like green tomatoes,
but are entirely unrelated to tomatoes. I don't
have a recipe for tomatillo pizza sauce, but it
shouldn't be that hard to whip one up.
Rob

Rob Broccoli > wrote:
> Why hasn't anyone mentioned tomatillos? They look
> like green tomatoes, taste kind of like green tomatoes,
> but are entirely unrelated to tomatoes. I don't
> have a recipe for tomatillo pizza sauce, but it
> shouldn't be that hard to whip one up.

A street vender at Venice Beach in CA sells large slices of tomatillo
cheese pizza for $1.00. I haven't tried it yet to venture a guess at
how to make a sauce.. but yeah should be easy.

M. Gagarin

"Kate Pugh" >

> Another good thing to do with pizza is spread some garlic puree over the
> edges before putting on the main toppings. It makes the crust very tasty.
> This might work for the tomato-less case too. I use bought puree from a
> tube - I think freshly-made would be too pungent.
>
> Kake

If no one minds me asking a new question on this thread----where do you get
the garlic puree?! I had a bottle of something like that made by Cosciel,
sold alongside hot sauces at the grocery, but none of the stores near me
carry it anymore. I'd love to have some again, or something like it.

Michael
M. Gagarin

I sometimes use pesto in place of tomato sauce. Makes a good summery pizza,
especially with garden vegetables for toppings. (Although, tomatoes are one
of my favorite toppings for pesto pizza....) Just a simple Genovese-style
pesto--the well-known basil, olive oil, pine uts, etc. variety. Pretty easy
to find it in supermarkets nowadays, and absurdly easy to make at home.

Michael

"Kindrick Ownby" > wrote in message

> I have decided to give up tomatoes, but still want
> to make an occasional pizza.
>
> Van anyone suggest a replacement sauce for home-
> made pizza?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Kindrick

Louise Bremner

M. Gagarin > wrote:

> > Another good thing to do with pizza is spread some garlic puree over the
> > edges before putting on the main toppings.....

> .....where do you get the garlic puree?!

<mod snip>

If you can't find it in a store near you, try in an Eastern foodstore.
In Japan, garlic puree is sold in the same kind of tube as wasabi,
grated ginger, and mustard, by the same company. (Not that I use it--to
me, it smells strange, but note that I can't smell the difference
between fresh garlic and onion.)

Louise Bremner (log at gol dot com)
If you want a reply by e-mail, don't write to my Yahoo address!
Kate Pugh

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 20:58:21 GMT, "M. Gagarin" > wrote:
>> If no one minds me asking a new question on this thread----where do
>> you get the garlic puree?!

Ah, now it's *my* turn to have things easy to find (See tomatillo
thread.) I buy garlic puree from... everywhere. All the supermarkets
I've ever looked for it in have it. I can get it in my *corner shop*.
I do however live in Fulham. My corner shop sells two kinds of soya milk.

wrote:
> I think you could just put some garlic and olive oil in your
> food processor or blender .... and puree away.

Beware of doing this for recipes that specify "bought garlic puree".
Every tube of garlic puree I've ever bought has been *much* less
pungent than freshly-made puree. I'd guess that a better substitute
would be lightly roasted garlic puree, in terms of strength.

Kake
M. Gagarin

> wrote
>
> I think you could just put some garlic and olive oil in your
> food processor or blender .... and puree away.
>
> Pat

I thought of that, but neither of my appliances can really get the right
consistency, which would basically be a liquid. With my machines I can't
quite eliminate the tiny chunks.
I suspect Kate (Kake?) and I are actually talking about two slightly
different things, but I figured her puree sounded close enough. The stuff I
had before was a "liquid spice" and could be sprinkled from a bottle like,
for example, hot sauce. It may have had a couple other ingredients besides
the garlic, but in any case, it was something you could pour onto or into
dishes like any other sauce. It made a great quickie ingredient, with a much
fuller taste than just minced or crushed garlic alone.

Michael

dolo

"M. Gagarin" > wrote in
. net:

> "Kate Pugh" >
>
>> Another good thing to do with pizza is spread some garlic puree over
>> the edges before putting on the main toppings.

> If no one minds me asking a new question on this thread----where do
> you get the garlic puree?!

Try this:
boil peeled cloves of garlic in water until soft, then mash with a mortar
and pestle. Add olive oil (or butter), maybe a little salt. Mix well.
I like this on slightly toasted bread, served with pasta.

Or, roast the garlic:

Roasted Garlic Puree

4 large heads garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Chop off bottom of garlic head, and separate whole cloves, leaving tight
outer covering intact. Place cloves in a shallow 8-inch square baking
dish, and drizzle with olive oil. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes.

Cool and drain; remove skins. Roast garlic may be eaten as is or puréed
for smoother texture.

To purée, position knife blade in food processor bowl; add garlic, salt,
pepper and lemon juice. Process 30 seconds or until almost smooth,
scraping sides of processor bowl occasionally.

(http://www.recipegoldmine.com/breads...adspread6.html)
hth
dolo
Sallyrat&Sweetie

Vicky:

For your information, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and eggplant all belong
to the "nightshade" family. I am currently on an allergy "elimination" diet
to find out what foods I'm allergic too and that is one family that I am
being tested for. Basically, I've had to eliminate these foods for a month
and will be overloaded with them all at once to see if I react. With your
aversion to peppers and your reaction to tomatoes , it sounds like you would
be a good candidate for one of these as well. I discovered this through my
naturopath. Food for thought....

Sally

"Vicky Conlan" > wrote in message
. ..
> According to >:
> >> Red bell pepper puree?

> >Thank you for the response - an excellent idea.
> >
> >But, the reason I plan to avoid tomatoes is to
> >follow the Eat Right 4 Your Type diet, and red
> >(and green) peppers are on the AVOID list for
> >my blood type (A).

> Ooh, interesting. I'm blood group A(-), and I have a severe
> dislike of all peppers (to the point of being ill after them
> when eaten accidentally most of the time), and although I like
> uncooked tomatoes, I also appear to be starting to get a bit
> of an odd reaction to them. (blistered tongue!) I had been
> assuming that the tomato thing was to do with pesticides, but
> it could be the tomato itself.
>
> Maybe I should have a look at this list of foods some time.
> --
> http://comps.org/ <> http://comps-offline.co.uk/ <>

http://comps-online.co.uk/
Sherry Martin

I just tried this last night, and it's pretty good. I got it off the web
somewhere. Amounts aren't exact - make to your taste.

No-Nightshade Pasta Sauce
- 2 to 8 carrots (I used 6 small)
- 1 to 3 small cans of beets (I used fresh, steamed)
- 1 to 2 onions
- 3 to 5 (or more?) cloves of garlic
- olive oil (I left this out)
- salt & pepper to taste
- basil & oregano to taste (and others? thyme, dill, marjoram?)
- red wine or balsamic vinegar

Cut up carrots and boil them, either in water or in the water-salt-beet
juice that canned beets are packed in. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a
large, heavy-bottomed pot. Chop onion and garlic an saute in olive oil.
When the carrots are soft, drain (reserve liquid), add drained beets (also
reserve liquid), and process until smooth in blender or food processor. You
may need to add some of the reserved liquid while processing.

Pour pureed carrots and beets into olive oil/garlicmixture, along with salt,
pepper, herbs and vinegar to taste. Add reserved liquid if necessary.
Simmer for at least 15 minutes - longer and/or hotter if the sauce isn't
thick enough

"Kindrick Ownby" > wrote in message

> I have decided to give up tomatoes, but still want
> to make an occasional pizza.
>
> Van anyone suggest a replacement sauce for home-
> made pizza?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Kindrick

Member

I don't think the ER4T diet states that if if you follow the diet you will "be a hunter-gatherer" - you may have misunderstood something there. And your not understanding something does not necessarily make it "hogwash".

What the theory in fact argues is that Blood Type O evolved at a time when our human ancestors lived a hunter-gatherer lifestyle and therefore our bodies adapted to digesting that kind of diet (lots of meat). Blood Type A on the other hand evolved when human started living in settled communities when farming was invented, and are hence better adapted to a diet high in vegetables and grains but low in meat.
Senior Member

Location: New York

I like tomato sauce too much. Actually, It has a particular taste which really makes other food tasty.
Experienced Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrick Ownby View Post
I have decided to give up tomatoes, but still want
to make an occasional pizza.

Van anyone suggest a replacement sauce for home-
made pizza?

Many thanks,

Kindrick
I think tomato sauce is the best with any pizza.