Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Default Storing cooked pulses

Hi,

I enjoy eating these and was wondering if it's possible to freeze them for
storage? I'm always busy and live on my own and with soaking / boiling time
taking so long I was thinking I could cook them in larger quantities all at
once and enjoy them as a side dish more often. I kept some black eyed peas
and borlotti beans in the refrigerator for 2 days and it didn't seem to
impair the flavour too much.

Does anybody have any idea how best to store freshly cooked lentils and
beans for longer periods without damaging the texture / flavour too much?
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 06:42:30 GMT, M Jones wrote:

> I enjoy eating these and was wondering if it's possible to freeze them for
> storage? I'm always busy and live on my own

I live on my own too and make full use of my pressure cooker. You can
cook beans from start to finish in an hour and a half. The first hour to
soak them in boiling water and then half an hour maximum to cook them.
--
Richard
Montmorillon, Vienne, France Remove CAPS to email
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

wrote:

>Does anybody have any idea how best to store freshly cooked lentils and
>beans for longer periods without damaging the texture / flavour too much?

I've never tried storing just the cooked pulses, but I often freeze
prepared dishes containing them. No problems.

As an alternative, have you tried using canned beans? They require
less preparation (ie, no soaking), and many people are quite happy
with them. I've not used them myself, but it just struck me that that
sounded like a solution to your problem.

Peter.
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

I used to use canned beans a lot until I tried fresh and preferred it.
Black eyed peas for instance I found to be much better from fresh. I have
found canned beans good when prepared in other dishes but less good as a
side dish.

I too have little problem with frozen casseroles. I'll cook up some beans
tonight and put some in a container and freeze them and see what it's like.

"Peter" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 06:42:30 GMT, "M Jones" >
> wrote:
>
>>Does anybody have any idea how best to store freshly cooked lentils and
>>beans for longer periods without damaging the texture / flavour too much?

> I've never tried storing just the cooked pulses, but I often freeze
> prepared dishes containing them. No problems.
>
> As an alternative, have you tried using canned beans? They require
> less preparation (ie, no soaking), and many people are quite happy
> with them. I've not used them myself, but it just struck me that that
> sounded like a solution to your problem.
>
> Peter.

Marwari Spices and Pulses is a manufacturer of spices used as food flavoring. spicespulses Recipes 0 19-11-2010 04:38 PM
Freezing and storing cooked turkey? Phred General Cooking 8 02-01-2008 02:16 PM
Freezing and storing cooked turkey? aem General Cooking 10 21-12-2007 10:06 PM
Storing pulses M Jones Vegan 9 27-09-2007 12:00 AM
storing Indian spice; storing raw and roasted sesame seeds [email protected] General Cooking 5 10-09-2007 03:53 AM