Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Default stuffed peppers redux

Around lunchtime, the ether provided me the olfactory image of bell
peppers, sauteed with basil and chocolate. This didn't seem
substantial enough for lunch, so I altered it a bit into a stuffed
pepper dish. Serendipitously, this turns out to be the reason the
world goes round.

4 oz frikeh (parched green wheat; bulgur is an adequate substitute)
1 cup water

2 Tbsp pretty good olive oil
2-3 oz onion, diced
A little water
1/2 tsp veg. bouillon (or replace all the water with stock)
1 oz dark chocolate, chopped (I used Ghiradelli 72%)
1/2 tsp smoked paprika (use more if you can't get frikeh)
a few drops holy basil extract (or chiffonaded [holy or not] basil)

2 med. bell peppers

Cook the frikeh till the water is absorbed. (It's OK if it's not
completely cooked, but it should be close. It took me about 10-15
minutes in a pressure cooker.)
Set aside.

Saute the onions in the olive oil.
Add the frikeh, bouillon and water.
Finish cooking, if needed.
Add the chocolate and paprika, and mix well.
Remove from heat.
Add the basil extract/basil, and mix well.

Cut off the tops of the peppers, and remove the seeds/pith.
Stuff the peppers with the frikeh mixture.
Wrap the peppers loosely in foil.
Bake at 350F for 30-40 minutes, till the peppers are tender. (I used
a toaster oven, so it was on the longer side of that.)