Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Default Grilled veggies

Girl friend and I have been invited to a non-vegetarian
patio party.

We think to get and take a small charcoal grill so we
can prepare something to eat for us.

Do you know of and meat replacements that do not contain
wheat? (Girl friend is allergic).

Please make suggestions and/or point us to a source
of ideas.

Many thanks,

Kindrick
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

"Kindrick Ownby" > wrote in message

> Girl friend and I have been invited to a non-vegetarian
> patio party.
>
> We think to get and take a small charcoal grill so we
> can prepare something to eat for us.
>
> Do you know of and meat replacements that do not contain
> wheat? (Girl friend is allergic).
>
> Please make suggestions and/or point us to a source
> of ideas.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Kindrick

All the pre-made bought veggie burgers and sausages I've ever tried have all
contained wheat as far as I know. I've had a quick look and found these
tofu burgers which are wheat free, never tired them though and not sure of
availability outside UK
http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-...il/416867.html. You
could try Googling for wheat free vegetarian burger and sausage recipes,
then make some yourself to take with you. Mixed veggies on kebab sticks
always work well when grilling/barbequing - skewer things like mushrooms,
cherry tomatoes, pieces of onion and peppers and chunks of courgette. Corn
on the cob are delicious barbequed too. What about stuffing some veggies
like field mushrooms, aubergines, beefsteak tomatoes with wheat free
delicious fillings, then just pop on the grill to cook. There's an example
of stuffed veggie recipes he http://www.vnv.org.au/VeggoBBQ.htm

Try popping into your local health food store to see if they have any wheat
free products, they usually sell at least bread and pasta. You could make
up a nice pasta salad to take with you. I've actually tried wheat free
pasta and found it very nice.

Hope this helps a little!

Tracey
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

According to >:
>All the pre-made bought veggie burgers and sausages I've ever tried have all
>contained wheat as far as I know. I've had a quick look and found these
>tofu burgers which are wheat free, never tired them though and not sure of
>availability outside UK
>http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-...il/416867.html. You

Again, don't know about outside of UK, but Sainsburys stock these
for anyone in UK looking for gluten free veggy options (and I do
give my personal recommendation! They're quite yummy. Although
they may crumble a bit on a barbecue, perhaps?)

http://www.beany.co.uk/graphics/savo...yer_2003dl.jpg

Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

On Mon, 28 May 2007 18:55:22 GMT, (Vicky
Conlan) wrote:

>Again, don't know about outside of UK, but Sainsburys stock these
>for anyone in UK looking for gluten free veggy options (and I do
>give my personal recommendation! They're quite yummy. Although
>they may crumble a bit on a barbecue, perhaps?)

http://www.beany.co.uk/graphics/savo...yer_2003dl.jpg

Interesting. I buy most of my groceries in Sainsbury's, but I've never
seen these. They do look nice. I'll keep an eye open next time I'm in
there. Thanks for the tip.

Peter.
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

On 2007-05-19, Kindrick Ownby > wrote:
> Please make suggestions and/or point us to a source
> of ideas.

This past weekend I was invited to one, and the veggies included:
red bell peppers
oil the skin lightly
portabello mushrooms
drizzle with olive oil, salt, garlic, red chili flakes
small eggplants
score deeply, almost cut in half; stuff with oil, salt, garlic,
dried basil -- my friends had no mint; rub with oil. Grill till
very tender.
corn
retain the husk, remove the silk; soak in brine for 20 minutes
prior to grilling.
tofu
slice into 1/2" thick slices, let stand to drain, and rub with
salt, spices and olive oil. I used paprika, garlic powder, a
little garam masala, and dried fenugreek leaves. (Make sure both
sides are oiled, or it will stick to the grill.)

One of the hosts made a brown rice and orzo pilaf (with veggie broth)
to accompany the carnivores' dinner, but it also suited the veggies well.

HTH,
N.

Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

According to >:
>>Again, don't know about outside of UK, but Sainsburys stock these
>>for anyone in UK looking for gluten free veggy options (and I do
>>give my personal recommendation! They're quite yummy. Although
>>they may crumble a bit on a barbecue, perhaps?)
>>
>>http://www.beany.co.uk/graphics/savo...yer_2003dl.jpg

>Interesting. I buy most of my groceries in Sainsbury's, but I've never
>seen these. They do look nice. I'll keep an eye open next time I'm in
>there. Thanks for the tip.

We have quite a big Sainsburys (2 aisles of non-food items, including
baby things and electrical products), but it's nto a massive one. In
it, the Beany products are with the Quorn and Cauldron products in a
chiller cabinet thingy, next to the houmous.

Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

According to >:
> corn
> retain the husk, remove the silk; soak in brine
> for 20 minutes prior to grilling.

I've never heard to soak in brine before. I normally just wrap in
foil with butter. Is it just a "keeping it moist" thing?

> tofu
> slice into 1/2" thick slices, let stand to drain, and rub with
> salt, spices and olive oil. I used paprika, garlic powder, a
> little garam masala, and dried fenugreek leaves. (Make sure both
> sides are oiled, or it will stick to the grill.)

I've still to find a way to do tofu that I really like. :-/

If the original poster isn't vegan, always good to remember halloumi
cheese for grilling, then slide into a pitta bread with some salad or
houmous, etc.
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

According to >:
>Looks as if my local Sainsbury's (Redhill) is too small. I was in
>there today, and (following your recommendation) I looked for these.
>No sign of them. And I was looking in the right place. Loads of Quorn
>stuff, some Cauldron and one or two other interesting things, but no
>sign of these.

If you get desperate to try them, they do mail order on their website!
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

On 2007-05-30, Vicky Conlan > wrote:
> I've never heard to soak in brine before. I normally just wrap in
> foil with butter. Is it just a "keeping it moist" thing?

Yeah; it salts the corn, and keeps the husk from burning when placed
directly on the grill (without foil).

> I've still to find a way to do tofu that I really like. :-/

Yeah; this depends on liking the flavor and texture -- it's
reminiscent of fried tofu: slightly crispy skin, chewy inside.
Something like a miso dressing or bbq sauce might be keep the tofu
softer. Probably would taste really good on this or eggplants,
too... next time! :-)

> If the original poster isn't vegan, always good to remember halloumi
> cheese for grilling, then slide into a pitta bread with some salad or
> houmous, etc.

Great suggestion! I'll also do that, next time.

N.

Member

Smile

How about some mushrooms or paneer.??????

crocky

Pearls