FoodBanter.com

-   Vegetarian cooking (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegetarian-cooking/)
-   -   Looking for favorite slow cooker recipes (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegetarian-cooking/124018-looking-favorite-slow-cooker.html)

RFW 19-05-2007 01:39 PM

Looking for favorite slow cooker recipes

I recently started working at a job with a hefty commute, and, having
heard there are vegetarian slow cooker cookbooks now, bought a slow
cooker so we could eat homemade dinners.

I bought "Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker," and frankly, I'm not
that impressed. I tried the vegetable tagine recipe and liked it, but
so far my husband's responses have ranged from "this is not too bad"
to "this is awful - why do you keep cooking with that thing?" (that
last the rather unfortunate Vindaloo recipe in the book - we love
Indian food but hated it. If you make it, I strongly recommend
leaving out the vinegar).

About.com's U.S. Southern Cooking (http://southernfood.about.com/
library/crock/blcpidx.htm) has had a couple of winners, though most of
the external links there for slow cooker recipes were pretty
disappointing.

A key word search on this newsgroup showed no new slow cooker postings
since 2005; has anyone got any good recipes to share?

I'm making things a little more difficult by trying to avoid most
beans, and my husband doesn't like soups (though he likes thicker
stews such as pea soup or lentil - both of which I have great non-slow
cooker recipes for).

I'd be particularly interested in good breakfast recipes besides the
ever-present oatmeal with fruit, or a good egg scramble recipe that
doesn't involve substituting for a bunch of meat. (We are ovo-lacto
vegetarians.)

Good Indian or Asian recipes, or pasta- or potato-based main dishes
would also be very welcome.

Thanks for any help.

Ruth

Kake L Pugh 19-05-2007 04:57 PM

RFW > wrote:
> A key word search on this newsgroup showed no new slow cooker postings
> since 2005; has anyone got any good recipes to share?

It's really good for getting flavour into tofu.
I made this and liked it a lot:
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/10...egetables.html

Kake

No Name 20-05-2007 01:58 PM

Looking for favorite slow cooker recipes

In article .com>,
says...
> [snip]
> I bought "Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker," and frankly, I'm not
> that impressed.
> [snip]

I totally agree with you about this book. It is a very odd book- first,
many recipes call for lots of steps before you even load the slow cooker
(like pre-cooking stuff) and second, the recipes are bizarre. A lot of
stuff you have to wonder _why_ anyone would want to use a slower cooker
for this. Like desserts... I think 99% of slow cooker usage is by
time-pressed people who want a hot meal when they get home- not slow
cooker baked cake. Everything I've tried has tasted the same, and not
in a good way.

I'd love recommedations for crock-pot recipes too!

Louise

[moderator removed more quoting]