Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Default BBC Good Food cheese spread recipe

Many years ago (at least 10) the BBC Good Food magazine (might or
might not have been the vegetarian version, can't remember) published
an article about a family who were living on a limited budget and so
had to make their own versions of things that most people just buy.
The article included a recipe for "cheese spread" that involved
melting Cheddar cheese and combining it with other ingredients. I
made it once and really liked it.

Does anyone remember this article and can give me any more details of
the recipe? Or does anyone still have this issue of the magazine?
Mine must have got lost in a house move at some point, because I've
looked through all the ones I still have and I can't find it!

Kake
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Kake L Pugh wrote:
> Many years ago (at least 10) the BBC Good Food magazine [ ... ] published
> an article [ and ] ncluded a recipe for "cheese spread" [ ... ]
> Does anyone remember this article and can give me any more details of
> the recipe?

Unfortunately, I didn't see the article so I can't provide the recipe
you're seeking. Nevertheless, since this is a recipe group I'll offer
this version of a cheese spread that I've used with great success. You
could simply substitute cheddar cheese and eliminate the garlic
consistent with your taste.
HTH.
gil
Cheese garlicy spread

2 cups vegan mayo (or regular mayonnaise)
20 ounces vegan rella (or use grated Romano)
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp red hot pepper sauce of your choice

Mix all ingredients,in a large bowl. Spread on bread and toast.
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

According to >:
>Many years ago (at least 10) the BBC Good Food magazine (might or
>might not have been the vegetarian version, can't remember) published
>an article about a family who were living on a limited budget and so
>had to make their own versions of things that most people just buy.
>The article included a recipe for "cheese spread" that involved
>melting Cheddar cheese and combining it with other ingredients. I
>made it once and really liked it.

Sorry, not a very useful answer but - how on earth would it ever be
cheaper to make cheese spread from real cheddar, where the processed
version uses the cheese equivalent of 'mechanically reclaimed meat'?

Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Vicky Conlan > wrote:
> Sorry, not a very useful answer but - how on earth would it ever be
> cheaper to make cheese spread from real cheddar, where the processed
> version uses the cheese equivalent of 'mechanically reclaimed meat'?

It wasn't, and I remember wondering about this at the time. It might
have just been an excuse for publishing the recipe. I don't remember
any of the other recipes associated with the article, so I don't know
if they were similarly implausible.

Kake

Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

According to >:
>> Sorry, not a very useful answer but - how on earth would it ever be
>> cheaper to make cheese spread from real cheddar, where the processed
>> version uses the cheese equivalent of 'mechanically reclaimed meat'?

>It wasn't, and I remember wondering about this at the time.

Ah, that's a relief. I thought I must be missing out on either some
incredibly uber-expensive cheese spread, or some bargain cheddar. :-)