FoodBanter.com

-   Vegetarian cooking (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegetarian-cooking/)
-   -   Smoothies (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegetarian-cooking/109147-smoothies.html)

[email protected] 08-12-2006 08:26 AM

Smoothies

I've developed a taste for smoothies and thought I'd start a thread in
the hopes that others might suggest their favorite concoctions. Here
are a couple of mine.

Breakfast Berry Smoothy

2 1/2 cups frozen blueberries, strawberries, or other sweet berry
1 1/4 cups apple juice
1 cup frozen vanilla yogurt
1/4 cup soy milk r
3/4 tsp cinnamon

Dump everything in the blender and let'er rip. Serve immediately

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++

Banana Coffee Smoothie

1 large frozen banana
1 1/2 cups soy milk
8 oz.container low-fat coffee yogur (or substitute vanilla yogurt
and 1 tsp instant coffee)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
few scrappiong of fresh nutmeg

Put everything in a blender and blend. Pour into a glass with crushed
ice and fresh mint.

gil

Kake L Pugh 09-12-2006 04:40 AM

Smoothies

> I've developed a taste for smoothies and thought I'd start a thread in
> the hopes that others might suggest their favorite concoctions.

Not as interesting as yours, but simpler: blenderise a sliced ripe
banana along with 250ml (or 1 cup, or 1/2 pint, or some other similar
volume) of soya milk. Very simple, very very tasty.

This possibly doesn't count as a smoothie, but here's a drink I
invented at a friend's house a few months ago: make simple syrup by
heating equal volumes of sugar and water until the sugar dissolves.
Puree the syrup with some raisins. Push through a sieve, mix with
dark rum, and serve over ice. I think it would work better if the
raisins were soaked first, and pushing through the sieve was replaced
by straining through muslin, but I've not tested this yet.

Kake

Natarajan Krishnaswami 09-12-2006 02:01 PM

Smoothies

On 2006-12-08, > wrote:
> Banana Coffee Smoothie

One local coffee shop near me has an absolutely fantastic one of these
with chocolate. Mmmm.

N.

<MOD's NOTE>

Do you have or can you re-create their culinary interpretation of this drink?

Kake L Pugh 12-12-2006 05:58 PM

Smoothies

Natarajan Krishnaswami > wrote:
> One local coffee shop near me has an absolutely fantastic one of these
> with chocolate. Mmmm.

The moderator added:
> <MOD's NOTE>
>
> Do you have or can you re-create their culinary interpretation of this drink?

I would try making up some very concentrated hot chocolate mix
(e.g. Green & Black's hot chocolate mix, which is vegan but I don't
know if you can get it outside the UK) and adding that, after chilling
it. I've also heard that Ghirardelli's chocolate syrup is vegan? If
so, that might work.

Kake

Natarajan Krishnaswami 13-12-2006 03:51 PM

Smoothies

On 2006-12-09, Natarajan Krishnaswami > wrote:
> One local coffee shop near me has an absolutely fantastic one of
> these [Banana Coffee Smoothie] with chocolate. Mmmm.

><MOD's NOTE>
> Do you have or can you re-create their culinary interpretation of this drink?

For the chocolate, I would expect any of
dark chocolate syrup
sweetened cocoa mix
sugar and cocoa powder (pref. non-dutched)
melted dark chocolate

would work passably. They should be diluted in enough liquid (water,
or milk/soy milk, say) to make a thick but pourable batter, if needed.
Depending on how much work I felt like doing, I'd probably use the
last two.

I'd put
a few oz. very strong coffee (brewed at 2x strength), chilled
one ripe banana, cut into a few pieces
ice
in a blender, and while grinding, add the chocolate.

The ice is needed for the texture of this drink, but also keeps the
strongly flavored ingredients flavors from being too assertive.

Note that I haven't tried making this. It might also stand some more
milk/soy milk, but I'd probably try it without first.

N.