Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Default Stir fry...

What's the best way to make a good stir fry.

I try to get the pan very hot, put in oil ginger & garlic & chilli,
then veg

Sometimes some tahhini, and other ingredients I've experimented with.

Should I put soya sauce in at the beginning or end. How do I use other
spices...?

Any other tips?

Cheers
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

I put the oil in the pan and then heat it.
I add the soya sauce at the very end so it doesn't burn.
Never tried using tahini...wonder how it would turn out, given its somewhat
thick consistency.

signman

"t8769" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> What's the best way to make a good stir fry.
>
> I try to get the pan very hot, put in oil ginger & garlic & chilli,
> then veg
>
> Sometimes some tahhini, and other ingredients I've experimented with.
>
> Should I put soya sauce in at the beginning or end. How do I use other
> spices...?
>
> Any other tips?
>

> Cheers

Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

t8769 > wrote:
> What's the best way to make a good stir fry.
>
> I try to get the pan very hot, put in oil ginger & garlic & chilli,
> then veg

That all sounds sensible...

> Sometimes some tahhini, and other ingredients I've experimented with.

I've never put tahini in a stir fry though! Does it work? I'd have
thought putting it in right at the end would be best.

> Should I put soya sauce in at the beginning or end. How do I use other
> spices...?

I would put the soy sauce in towards the end. You don't want to add
liquids too early or the vegetables will steam instead of frying.

> Any other tips?

Use a wok, not a frying pan. The shape of the wok lets you keep the
vegetables moving about without having them move all over you and the
kitchen; and it lets you keep them in frequent contact with a hot
surface rather than all piling up on the base of the pan.

Cut the vegetables into pieces of roughly the same size and shape;
then add them to the wok in order of how much cooking they need - so
carrots first, beansprouts last. But do use your own judgement about
how much cooking they need - some people like certain vegetables
barely cooked, others like them cooked longer. It's up to you.
Cutting the veg into the same size and shape means that it's easy to
judge how long to cook them for, and it also makes the finished dish
look more appealing.

Don't put in too many vegetables at once, or the temperature of the
wok will drop. Put in a few, stirfry for a bit, let the wok heat up
again, add more vegetables.

If you're using tofu, cut it into bite-size pieces and fry them ahead
of time, then add them to a marinade and let them sit for a while
before you add them to your stirfry, towards the end of cooking.
Frying tofu before you marinade it makes it soak up much more marinade
than if you just put it in there raw. Freezing and defrosting it also
makes it take up more marinade - the longer you freeze it the spongier
it gets, but beware since this process can go _too_ far!

Any of that any use?

Kake

To stir or not Joe Ae Winemaking 8 09-10-2004 01:06 PM
Whether to Stir or not Mark L. Breen Coffee 28 30-10-2003 04:10 AM