Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Default Vegan chocolate mousse with brandy

I had a dinner party on the weekend and wanted to make a vegan chocolate
mousse for dessert. I adapted a recipe on the Vegan Village website:

http://www.veganvillage.co.uk/recipes/mousse.htm

which called for 100g chocolate, 250ml soya cream, and 1 Tbsp brandy.
Well, I doubled the chocolate and quadrupled the brandy, and it was good.

Kake
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

On 2006-11-30, Kake L Pugh > wrote:
> which called for 100g chocolate, 250ml soya cream, and 1 Tbsp brandy.
> Well, I doubled the chocolate and quadrupled the brandy, and it was good.

This reminded me of Alton Brown's Moo-less Chocolate Pie, which is
outstanding. It's a chocolate pie, the filling of which is made
mousse-like using soft/silken tofu.

<http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_14312,00.html>

It calls for 2 cups chocolate chips, 1/3 cup coffee liqueur, 1 block
silken tofu, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 tablespoon honey, and 1
prepared chocolate wafer crust.

The chocolate and liqueur are melted in a double boiler, then put in a
blender with the tofu and honey. The resultant paste is put in the
crust and chilled.

My changes:
I leave out the honey or substitute it with sugar. I invariably use
soft tofu instead of silken. I tend to reduce the fraction of
chocolate. I sub out the coffee liqueur with strong coffee + sugar;
this is probably omissible, too. I sometimes add a little cinnamon
and ground chili. Also, I prefer graham cracker crusts to chocolate.

N.
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Natarajan Krishnaswami > wrote:
> This reminded me of Alton Brown's Moo-less Chocolate Pie, which is
> outstanding. It's a chocolate pie, the filling of which is made
> mousse-like using soft/silken tofu.

Ah-ha, yes; I'd been wondering how to make mine a bit more mousse-like. It
was very good as it was, but something a bit lighter would be good too. I
was thinking of experimenting with agar. I did think of putting tofu in,
but it doesn't really appeal for some reason.

> I sometimes add a little cinnamon and ground chili. Also, I prefer graham
> cracker crusts to chocolate.

Ooh, yes, chilli is great in chocolate things.

Kake

Chocolate Mousse Duckie ® Recipes 0 03-01-2006 12:56 PM
Chocolate Mousse 7Hawks Recipes 0 19-11-2004 09:37 PM
Chocolate Heart Layer Cake with Chocolate Cinnamon Mousse Duckie ® Recipes 0 01-05-2004 11:25 PM