Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Default fauxsenjan

I make a veggie khoresht-e fesenjan (a Persian stew of walnuts and
pomegranate juice; whenever I make it, I tend to adapt this recipe
(warning, nonveg) http://persia.org/Recipes/fesenjan.html) from time
to time, but today, I decided to see how well it would work with some
modifications.

In particular, I wanted to make it using pistachios, and ground lemon
and a sweetener instead of pomegranate. However, I couldn't find any
raw pistachios(!), so I used pepitas instead.

Also, I had gotten some (delicious!) ground dried lemon, and wanted to
try using that.

The texture was off -- a little more grainy/clumpy than I was hoping
for. I wondered if the acidity curdled the pepitas' proteins (they
have more protein and less fat than walnuts), or whether I just didn't
grind the pepitas sufficiently finely. But the flavor was exquisite.
It was more delicate than real fesenjan, while still reminding me a
lot of it. I will definitely make this again, and will also probably
try with pistachios.

1 Tbsp oil
1 small onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
pinch of salt
1/4 tsp turmeric, ground
1/4 tsp black pepper, ground
pinch of ground cardamom, opt.

3-4 oz raw pepitas (pumpkin seeds), shelled and ground
1 Tbsp ground dried lemon
2 Tbsp agave nectar (maybe 1 Tbsp sugar)
1 veggie bouillon cube (I used a Celifibr "chicken" flavor cube)
20 fl oz water (give or take)
1-2 Tbsp oil, opt.

Fry up the first batch of ingredients till the onions don't smell raw.

Add the remaining ingredients (except the water), and mix well.

Add in the water slowly while stirring, to make a paste.

Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer till thick,
stirring well periodically (the stew should be a coherent fluid,
rather than separating into watery/nonwatery parts).

Serve with chelo (Persian steamed rice), plain rice, couscous,
whatever.

(I had mine over couscous and slices of baked tofu rubbed with dried
tomato flakes.)

N.