Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Default Beetroot ideas wanted!

Hello everyone. What are your favourite things to do with beetroot?
I usually wash them, wrap them in foil, bake them, peel them, and
wonder what to do with them. Last night I cubed a cooked peeled
beetroot and mixed it with some chopped pickled ginger (gari) and some
dulse that I'd soaked in boiling water for a couple of minutes before
draining. It was OK, but not fantastic, and the dulse didn't really
add anything. I have another cooked beetroot sitting in the fridge
right now. What should I do with it? Something vegan, for preference.

Kake
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

On 2006-11-17, Kake L Pugh > wrote:
> I have another cooked beetroot sitting in the fridge right now.
> What should I do with it? Something vegan, for preference.

I tend to cook beets by dicing them up finely and pan-frying with
spices. (Red chili, hing, mustard seed go well with it, but of course
I'd say that. *grin*)

I bet it'd be good in a sambar-like preparation (simmer veggie, raw
hing, tamarind, and sambar (or "madras curry powder") in water; add
cooked toor dal or red lentils; fry hing, a whole red chili, and
mustard seeds, and pour on top. Garnish with chopped coriander leaf
if desired.)

Leaving the subcontinent, maybe a cold salad: chop as desired, and
dress with salt, oil, lime/lemon juice (or vinegar), and fresh herbs.
(If you have cooked potatoes, beets and potatoes pair really well in
the same dish; they're good in the roast curry above, too.)

Soup-wise, I bet they'd be good in many contexts potatoes would be (or
to augment potatoes). Maybe beetroot-leek soup? Beet and greens and
beans (might be fun with red amaranth "greens" and red kidney
beans...). This is more suitable for raw beets, though, I suspect.

Or maybe stuff it with something interesting/strongly flavored (e.g.,
mashed removed part of beet, finely crumbled tofu, ginger, dulse,
scallions, etc.), chill, and slice?

This is making me hungry....

N.
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

According to >:
>Hello everyone. What are your favourite things to do with beetroot?
>I usually wash them, wrap them in foil, bake them, peel them, and
>wonder what to do with them. Last night I cubed a cooked peeled
>beetroot and mixed it with some chopped pickled ginger (gari) and some
>dulse that I'd soaked in boiling water for a couple of minutes before
>draining. It was OK, but not fantastic, and the dulse didn't really
>add anything. I have another cooked beetroot sitting in the fridge
>right now. What should I do with it? Something vegan, for preference.

I've diced it and mixed with some other diced/chopped veg and pasta
and served as a cold dish before now, which worked quite well. Although
the pasta all got a bit pink-stained.

Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Natarajan Krishnaswami > wrote:
> I bet it'd be good in a sambar-like preparation (simmer veggie, raw
> hing, tamarind, and sambar (or "madras curry powder") in water; add
> cooked toor dal or red lentils; fry hing, a whole red chili, and
> mustard seeds, and pour on top. Garnish with chopped coriander leaf
> if desired.)

Ooh, I like the sound of this one, thank you! Did you start with raw
beetroot or cooked beetroot?

> (If you have cooked potatoes, beets and potatoes pair really well in
> the same dish; they're good in the roast curry above, too.)

Now I'm wondering if you can roast beetroot like you can roast
potatoes (i.e. cut into cubes and tossed with oil rather than being
wrapped in foil) or whether they're too juicy for it to work well. I
shall have to experiment.

Kake
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Vicky Conlan > wrote:
> I've diced it and mixed with some other diced/chopped veg and pasta
> and served as a cold dish before now, which worked quite well. Although
> the pasta all got a bit pink-stained.

Colourful food is good though And this reminds me of a beetroot
dish I rather like but had forgotten about, beetroot in yoghurt:

http://www.paula-wolfert.com/recipes/shred_beets.html

(soya yoghurt works fine). It's the most amazing bright pink colour.

Kake

Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 14:56:15 GMT, Kake L Pugh > wrote:

>Hello everyone. What are your favourite things to do with beetroot?

I roast them with a little olive oil and salt, and then toss them with
some sliced red onions and a little vinaigrette for a roasted-beet
salad. Here's a picture of one I made a while back:
http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...ic/0002tfea/g5

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 15:49:07 GMT, Kake L Pugh > wrote:

>Now I'm wondering if you can roast beetroot like you can roast
>potatoes (i.e. cut into cubes and tossed with oil rather than being
>wrapped in foil) or whether they're too juicy for it to work well. I
>shall have to experiment.

That's how I do it, only I usually cut them in quarters rather than
cubes. It's my very favorite way to eat beets.

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 14:56:15 GMT, Kake L Pugh > wrote:

>Hello everyone. What are your favourite things to do with beetroot?
>I usually wash them, wrap them in foil, bake them, peel them, and
>wonder what to do with them. Last night I cubed a cooked peeled
>beetroot and mixed it with some chopped pickled ginger (gari) and some
>dulse that I'd soaked in boiling water for a couple of minutes before
>draining. It was OK, but not fantastic, and the dulse didn't really
>add anything. I have another cooked beetroot sitting in the fridge
>right now. What should I do with it? Something vegan, for preference.

Oh, and not vegan, but easily veganized, is my cold beet soup:

http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...ic/0002wqq9/g5

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

On 2006-11-18, Kake L Pugh > wrote:
> Natarajan Krishnaswami > wrote:
>> I bet it'd be good in a sambar-like preparation (simmer veggie, raw
>> hing, tamarind, and sambar (or "madras curry powder") in water; add
>> cooked toor dal or red lentils; fry hing, a whole red chili, and
>> mustard seeds, and pour on top. Garnish with chopped coriander leaf
>> if desired.)

> Ooh, I like the sound of this one, thank you! Did you start with raw
> beetroot or cooked beetroot?

I just made it up, though I'd start with raw. The simmer is to
reduce the raw taste of the tamarind, as well as to cook the veggie.
That should be fairly brief in this case, as it would only need enough
time to let the flavors mingle. (This was also my favorite style of
prep for Brussels sprouts growing up.)

>> (If you have cooked potatoes, beets and potatoes pair really well in
>> the same dish; they're good in the roast curry above, too.)

> Now I'm wondering if you can roast beetroot like you can roast
> potatoes (i.e. cut into cubes and tossed with oil rather than being
> wrapped in foil) or whether they're too juicy for it to work well. I
> shall have to experiment.

That's what I tend to do when I roast them. The timing can be tricky
when actually cooking them with potatoes: they take longer to cook, so
I dice them smaller.

N.
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 15:49:07 GMT, Kake L Pugh > wrote:

>Now I'm wondering if you can roast beetroot like you can roast
>potatoes (i.e. cut into cubes and tossed with oil rather than being
>wrapped in foil) or whether they're too juicy for it to work well. I
>shall have to experiment.
>
>Kake

I've roasted them, and it works well. You have to separate them from
your other veg, though, as they stain everything pink

Rebecca

Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Serene > wrote:
> I roast them with a little olive oil and salt, and then toss them with
> some sliced red onions and a little vinaigrette for a roasted-beet
> salad. Here's a picture of one I made a while back:
> http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...ic/0002tfea/g5

That does look rather good. I think there is some roasting in my future.
And next week's organic veg box does have beetroot in!

Thanks Serene and everyone else for all the suggestions.

Kake
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

rebecca > wrote:
> I've roasted them, and it works well. You have to separate them from
> your other veg, though, as they stain everything pink

I tried this last night and it did indeed work well, thank you! I
just cubed them and tossed them with olive oil and fresh-ground black
pepper, then spread them on a tray and roasted them at 220C (425F) for
about half an hour. They lost quite a bit of moisture, and so ended
up rather smaller than I'd been expecting, but I really should have
worked out that this would happen! I'll definitely do this again,
cutting them a bit bigger next time.

(I also did mashed celeriac as part of the same meal, another first
for me. Peeled it, cubed it, boiled it, drained it, mashed it roughly
with black pepper and a drizzle of double cream. Very simple, very good.)

Kake
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

"Kake L Pugh" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 15:49:07 GMT, Kake L Pugh > wrote:
>>> Now I'm wondering if you can roast beetroot like you can roast
>>> potatoes (i.e. cut into cubes and tossed with oil rather than being
>>> wrapped in foil) or whether they're too juicy for it to work well.

> I tried this last night and it did indeed work well, thank you! I
> just cubed them and tossed them with olive oil and fresh-ground black
> pepper, then spread them on a tray and roasted them at 220C (425F) for
> about half an hour. They lost quite a bit of moisture, and so ended
> up rather smaller than I'd been expecting, but I really should have
> worked out that this would happen! I'll definitely do this again,
> cutting them a bit bigger next time.
>
> (I also did mashed celeriac as part of the same meal, another first
> for me. Peeled it, cubed it, boiled it, drained it, mashed it roughly
> with black pepper and a drizzle of double cream. Very simple, very good.)
>
> Kake

Last night I roasted some chunks together with carrots, bit of oil, cracked
coridander seeds and garlic (spice idea borrowed from Delia), with a squeeze
of lemon juice at the end. Also works well with chunks of potato added.
I also like to roast beets whole in foil and slice into a salad with
feta/goat cheese, roast peppers etc.
Kate
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

On 2006-12-06, Kate > wrote:
> Last night I roasted some chunks together with carrots, bit of oil, cracked
> coridander seeds and garlic (spice idea borrowed from Delia), with a squeeze

Coriander seed is one of my favorite spices. I think it's Just Great
with eggplant. (There's a south Indian roasted eggplant curry I make
moderately often, where the spice blend features toasted coriander and
chana dal, which has been a favorite of mine since childhood.)
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Kake L Pugh > wrote:
> Hello everyone. What are your favourite things to do with beetroot?
> I usually wash them, wrap them in foil, bake them, peel them, and
> wonder what to do with them.

I did this again the other evening, since I had some beetroot that
were getting a bit shrivelled - baked them and stuck them in the
fridge until I could think of something to use them for.

I served them last night - peeled them and dressed them with a very
mustardy vinaigrette made with about 1 Tbsp wholegrain mustard, 1 tsp
white wine vinegar, 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, and a little
freshly-ground black pepper. It was very good. I just had the
leftovers for lunch with some quinoa with caramelised cauliflower
(have posted about that in the current quinoa thread).

Kake