Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Default Nut Roast

Does anyone have a good Nut Roast recipe?

thanks sally
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Hi Sally,
If you are looking for a Fantastic Thanksgiving or holiday dinner
recipe, this is the finest recipe to grace a vegetarian's table. As one
partcipant at a dinner said "The perfect thing about this recipe is that
everything is in it, a complete Thanksgiving treat!":

"No Tom" Turkey

2 c. long grain brown rice
4 T. powdered vegetable broth
2 T. oil
1 tsp. each sage, rosemary, thyme
5 T. butter
1 onion, diced
5 stalks celery, sliced
1 tsp. onion salt
1 lb. mushrooms
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. thyme
1 lb. seitan (grated or chopped)
1 lb. Monterey Jack cheese, grated
16 oz. Pepperidge Farm herb stuffing
salt & pepper to taste
5 tsp. poultry seasoning
optional: pecan halves

In a saute pan, add rice, broth powder and oil. Cook about 4
minutes. Place mixture in 4 c. boiling water and cook for an hour
or until water is absorbed. Place wild rice, sage, rosemary, thyme,
and 1 T. butter in 1 1/2 c. water and cook for 1 hour.
Saute onion, celery, dill and onion salt in 2 T. butter. Slice and
saute mushrooms, garlic powder and 1 tsp. thyme in 2 T. butter until
soft.
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Add seitan, cheese, herb
stuffing, salt and pepper to taste and poultry seasoning. Mix thoroughly.
In a baking pan, shape like a turkey or a loaf or whatever you like,
garnish with pecan halves and bake for 30-45 minutes at 375 Degrees F.
Serve with cranberry sauce and vegetarian gravy.

Enjoy!!

"sally" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Does anyone have a good Nut Roast recipe?
>
> thanks sally

..
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

sally > wrote:
> Does anyone have a good Nut Roast recipe?

I'm not sure I've ever made a nut roast! I do like them though.

Perhaps you could make your own recipe using this:
http://www.veganlunchbox.com/loaf_studio.html

You just choose your preferred ingredients (protein, carb, nuts/seeds, etc)
and it makes the recipe for you.

Kake
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

In article >, says...
> sally > wrote:
> > Does anyone have a good Nut Roast recipe?

> I'm not sure I've ever made a nut roast! I do like them though.
>
> Perhaps you could make your own recipe using this:

http://www.veganlunchbox.com/loaf_studio.html

> You just choose your preferred ingredients (protein, carb, nuts/seeds, etc)
> and it makes the recipe for you.
>
> Kake

I have never had nut roast, tho I am going to try it this year. I found
this recipe in the Washington Post- they had a feature on a vegetarian
dinner party.

Ingredients

4 tablespoons vegan margarine

2 large onions, finely chopped

1 teaspoon dried thyme

1 tablespoon flour

1/2 cup water

1 cup finely ground cashews

1 cup finely ground Brazil nuts or hazelnuts

1 1/3 cups dried bread crumbs, plus 2 tablespoons for coating

1 tablespoon lemon juice

Salt

Freshly ground black pepper

1/2 cup olive oil or vegetable oil

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, melt margarine. Add onions and
cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the thyme and flour, and
cook an additional minute. Add water and stir another minute, until
thickened. Remove mixture from heat and add nuts, 1 1/3 cups bread
crumbs, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.

With wet hands, form the mixture into a loaf (add a tablespoon or two of
water, if necessary, to form the loaf). Sprinkle a cutting board with 1
tablespoon bread crumbs. Place the loaf on top, and coat with the
remaining tablespoon bread crumbs.

Pour oil into a baking dish and heat it in the oven for 15 minutes or
until it starts to smoke. Remove the pan from the oven and put the nut
loaf into the pan with the hot oil. Use a spoon to baste the nut loaf
with the oil. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until evenly browned. Serve in
thick slices, as you would a meatloaf.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

Per serving (based on 6): 551 calories, 11 gm protein, 37 gm
carbohydrates, 42 gm fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 6 gm saturated fat, 332 mg
sodium, 5 gm dietary fiber.

Adapted from "The Complete Vegetarian Cuisine" (Pantheon, 1996)
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

According to >:
>> Does anyone have a good Nut Roast recipe?

>I'm not sure I've ever made a nut roast! I do like them though.

Heh, I think I've only ever had someone make me one once, and I've never
gone near it since. He spent a lot of time and effort on it, too, which
is a shame. But it was /so/ heavy. Comparing to the one posted later in
the thread, I think the difference was that he used whole nuts, or at
least, coursely grated. But it was also wrapped in pasty (puff pasty, I
think) and served with a spicy tomato sauce (ick). Very very chewy and
heavy.