Posted to alt.food.vegan

Default vegan twonkies--I'm not a blogger

Has anyone made vegan twinkies? (Or "twonkies"--that's a That 70s Show
reference.) Do a goodsearch for "vegan twinkies" and you'll end up at
the veganlunchbox. I am going to make them, but I still don't have
the barley malt powder or coconut extract (the stores are always
trying to sell me "coconut flavoring," what the hell?)
Some people left some Qs on the webpage, but since I refuse to Blog,
I'll respond he

[What can you do with barley malt syrup?]
I made a lemon cake that called for it. It turned out tasty, but was
too complicated a recipe to want to make again. Since then I've found
some recipes online, but haven't tried them yet (pumpkin pie,
gingerbread cookies.)

[Can't find the bake set.]
You can buy it at Bed, Bath, & Beyond. It's $19.99, but make sure you
get a $5 off coupon first. If they're not mailed to your house you can
purchase one on e-bay. People report that you can use expired coupons
too.
Posted to alt.food.vegan

I'm trying to get a "Canoe Cake" pan. Not all the Bed Bath and Beyond
stores carry them. I'm told that is more of a Holiday item. I suspect
they'll be everywhere this year.

I had some Barley Malt syrup once. I used it where ever a recipe called
for 1 or 2 tablespoons of corn syrup, imparted a richer flavor. I need
to buy more.

I'm going to try the "twonkies" with a cupcake pan one of these days.
I'm trying to watch my calories for now and am not baking much.

t.racer wrote:
> Has anyone made vegan twinkies? (Or "twonkies"--that's a That 70s Show
> reference.) Do a goodsearch for "vegan twinkies" and you'll end up at
> the veganlunchbox. I am going to make them, but I still don't have
> the barley malt powder or coconut extract (the stores are always
> trying to sell me "coconut flavoring," what the hell?)
> Some people left some Qs on the webpage, but since I refuse to Blog,
> I'll respond he
>
> [What can you do with barley malt syrup?]
> I made a lemon cake that called for it. It turned out tasty, but was
> too complicated a recipe to want to make again. Since then I've found
> some recipes online, but haven't tried them yet (pumpkin pie,
> gingerbread cookies.)
>
> [Can't find the bake set.]
> You can buy it at Bed, Bath, & Beyond. It's $19.99, but make sure you
> get a $5 off coupon first. If they're not mailed to your house you can
> purchase one on e-bay. People report that you can use expired coupons
> too.

Posted to alt.food.vegan

Well, I made the Twonkies! What WORK. The icing injector *did* break
right away. However, Shmoo's cream filling recipe is too thick! The
injector broke at the blue part where it is attached to the metal pole
(the blue part is what pushes the cream.) So anyway, the Twonkie's
booklet has a similar recipe, but it also calls for a cup of light
corn syrup. It says the cream is supposed to have the consistency of
"mayonnaise." Shmoo's recipe is like frosting, not cream filling.
Plus, it's TOO SWEET. I would cut out half the sugar*; that's where
I'd start with adjustments. Also, the barley malt powder isn't
essential. It's just more sugar, but with a different flavor. I'm
going to contact the Twonkies manufacturer and ask what's the deal
with the injector breaking.

* I contacted Wild Oats to ask if the powdered sugar they distribute
is vegan and they never responded. That's probably a "no."

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 10:30:46 -0500, Elderberry Blossom
> wrote:

>I'm trying to get a "Canoe Cake" pan. Not all the Bed Bath and Beyond
>stores carry them. I'm told that is more of a Holiday item. I suspect
>they'll be everywhere this year.
>
>I had some Barley Malt syrup once. I used it where ever a recipe called
>for 1 or 2 tablespoons of corn syrup, imparted a richer flavor. I need
>to buy more.
>
>I'm going to try the "twonkies" with a cupcake pan one of these days.
>I'm trying to watch my calories for now and am not baking much.
>

>t.racer wrote:
>> Has anyone made vegan twinkies? (Or "twonkies"--that's a That 70s Show
>> reference.) Do a goodsearch for "vegan twinkies" and you'll end up at
>> the veganlunchbox. I am going to make them, but I still don't have
>> the barley malt powder or coconut extract (the stores are always
>> trying to sell me "coconut flavoring," what the hell?)
>> Some people left some Qs on the webpage, but since I refuse to Blog,
>> I'll respond he
>>
>> [What can you do with barley malt syrup?]
>> I made a lemon cake that called for it. It turned out tasty, but was
>> too complicated a recipe to want to make again. Since then I've found
>> some recipes online, but haven't tried them yet (pumpkin pie,
>> gingerbread cookies.)
>>
>> [Can't find the bake set.]
>> You can buy it at Bed, Bath, & Beyond. It's $19.99, but make sure you
>> get a $5 off coupon first. If they're not mailed to your house you can
>> purchase one on e-bay. People report that you can use expired coupons
>> too.

Posted to alt.food.vegan

Oh my gosh, the Twonkies bake set is now using an icing bag instead of
the "icing injector." Go to http://www.aronsonusa.com/ and click on
"products by brand" then "Hostess."

Hostess® Twinkies® Bake Set
Now adults and kids can make their own Twinkie-shaped mini cakes! Set
includes: baking pan, spatula, icing injector bag, Twinkies® container
and complete recipe booklet.

Item# 80208

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 17:50:54 GMT,
(t.racer) wrote:

>Well, I made the Twonkies! What WORK. The icing injector *did* break
>right away. However, Shmoo's cream filling recipe is too thick! The
>injector broke at the blue part where it is attached to the metal pole
>(the blue part is what pushes the cream.) So anyway, the Twonkie's
>booklet has a similar recipe, but it also calls for a cup of light
>corn syrup. It says the cream is supposed to have the consistency of
>"mayonnaise." Shmoo's recipe is like frosting, not cream filling.
>Plus, it's TOO SWEET. I would cut out half the sugar*; that's where
>I'd start with adjustments. Also, the barley malt powder isn't
>essential. It's just more sugar, but with a different flavor. I'm
>going to contact the Twonkies manufacturer and ask what's the deal
>with the injector breaking.
>
>* I contacted Wild Oats to ask if the powdered sugar they distribute
>is vegan and they never responded. That's probably a "no."
>
>On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 10:30:46 -0500, Elderberry Blossom
> wrote:
>
>>I'm trying to get a "Canoe Cake" pan. Not all the Bed Bath and Beyond
>>stores carry them. I'm told that is more of a Holiday item. I suspect
>>they'll be everywhere this year.
>>
>>I had some Barley Malt syrup once. I used it where ever a recipe called
>>for 1 or 2 tablespoons of corn syrup, imparted a richer flavor. I need
>>to buy more.
>>
>>I'm going to try the "twonkies" with a cupcake pan one of these days.
>>I'm trying to watch my calories for now and am not baking much.
>>

>>t.racer wrote:
>>> Has anyone made vegan twinkies? (Or "twonkies"--that's a That 70s Show
>>> reference.) Do a goodsearch for "vegan twinkies" and you'll end up at
>>> the veganlunchbox. I am going to make them, but I still don't have
>>> the barley malt powder or coconut extract (the stores are always
>>> trying to sell me "coconut flavoring," what the hell?)
>>> Some people left some Qs on the webpage, but since I refuse to Blog,
>>> I'll respond he
>>>
>>> [What can you do with barley malt syrup?]
>>> I made a lemon cake that called for it. It turned out tasty, but was
>>> too complicated a recipe to want to make again. Since then I've found
>>> some recipes online, but haven't tried them yet (pumpkin pie,
>>> gingerbread cookies.)
>>>
>>> [Can't find the bake set.]
>>> You can buy it at Bed, Bath, & Beyond. It's $19.99, but make sure you
>>> get a $5 off coupon first. If they're not mailed to your house you can
>>> purchase one on e-bay. People report that you can use expired coupons
>>> too.

important blogger M. JL Esq. General Cooking 0 02-06-2011 07:25 AM
funny food blogger Tom[_24_] Wine 0 22-04-2009 10:07 PM
funny food blogger Tom[_24_] Recipes 0 22-04-2009 10:06 PM
funny food blogger Tom[_24_] Sushi 0 22-04-2009 10:06 PM
Tea blogger - What Keep You Motivated? juliantai[_3_] Tea 16 03-11-2007 10:04 AM