Posted to alt.food.vegan

Default vegan breakfast cereal and digestion

Anyone hazard a guess about a small conundrum? I'd rather preface the
matter with a maxim: Its what is on the inside that counts. Ok, why
does a breakfast cereal(usually granola based)/soy milk (rice,almond
too) combination cause me gastric distress? Its like I'm eating ice
cream again: loose poop. I haven't the first clue why. I have
substituted oatmeal with great success. Still want my cereal though.

Posted to alt.food.vegan

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 22:17:22 -0700, buzzgun wrote:

> Anyone hazard a guess about a small conundrum? I'd rather preface the
> matter with a maxim: Its what is on the inside that counts. Ok, why
> does a breakfast cereal(usually granola based)/soy milk (rice,almond
> too) combination cause me gastric distress? Its like I'm eating ice
> cream again: loose poop. I haven't the first clue why. I have
> substituted oatmeal with great success. Still want my cereal though.

I, too, am in a conundrum over breakfast cereals.

They give me distress for another reason. The distress they give me is in
the wallet. Why is it that the breakfast food industry as a whole would
rather compete with using the biggest and most expensive advertising
campaigns (passing the cost of the advertising on to the consumer, of
course) instead of competing by price? Dollars spent on excessive
advertising do not contribute one bit to the caloric intake, the
nutritional benefit or the taste of any breakfast cereal. Period.
Guaranteed. Right now, I do not eat breakfast cereals because they are
overpriced, mostly, I suspect, from all the advertising they do. Most
other foods are content to get by with a minimum of advertising.

--
Monkkey's Unkle Power (better than Flower Power)
Posted to alt.food.vegan

Monkkey's slacking, impoverished bitch wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 22:17:22 -0700, buzzgun wrote:
>
>> Anyone hazard a guess about a small conundrum? I'd rather preface the
>> matter with a maxim: Its what is on the inside that counts. Ok, why
>> does a breakfast cereal(usually granola based)/soy milk (rice,almond
>> too) combination cause me gastric distress? Its like I'm eating ice
>> cream again: loose poop. I haven't the first clue why. I have
>> substituted oatmeal with great success. Still want my cereal though.

> I, too, am in a conundrum over breakfast cereals.
>
> They give me distress for another reason. The distress they give me is in
> the wallet.

Loser. Get off your lazy ass and get a job.

> Why is it that the breakfast food industry as a whole would
> rather compete with using the biggest and most expensive advertising
> campaigns (passing the cost of the advertising on to the consumer, of
> course) instead of competing by price? Dollars spent on excessive
> advertising do not contribute one bit to the caloric intake, the
> nutritional benefit or the taste of any breakfast cereal. Period.
> Guaranteed. Right now, I do not eat breakfast cereals because they are
> overpriced, mostly, I suspect, from all the advertising they do.

You mean like beer, cola, and other products which are basically identical
and for which advertising is the only way to separate and distinguish one
brand from the others?

> Most other foods are content to get by with a minimum of advertising.

Bullshit. Advertising isn't a dirty industry except to whiny little leftists
who object to profit in the first place.
Posted to alt.food.vegan

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 09:24:52 +0000, chico chupacabra wrote:

> Bullshit. Advertising isn't a dirty industry except to whiny little
> leftists who object to profit in the first place.

I am not a leftist. I have no philosophical objection to profits. My
problem is that advertising has driven up the price of breakfast cereals
too much. How often do you see spinich souffle advertised, or potatos au
grautten, or prime ribs. Even the milk, eggs, apple and orange
industries' advertising budget is small compared to that of the breakfast
cereal industry.

--
Monkkey's Unkle Power (better than Flower Power)
Posted to alt.food.vegan

Monkkey's Unkle wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 09:24:52 +0000, chico chupacabra wrote:
>
>> Bullshit. Advertising isn't a dirty industry except to whiny little
>> leftists who object to profit in the first place.

> I am not a leftist.

You're a punk who (a) advocates veganism and (b) thinks the price of cereal
is out of reach and therefore blames cereal makers for advertising.

> I have no philosophical objection to profits.

What a relief.
/sarcasm

> My problem is that advertising has driven up the price of breakfast
> cereals too much.

Too much for whom? Certainly not mothers who buy their children whatever
they want, certainly not for those who were intrigued enough by characters
like the Trix rabbit or Count Chocula or Tony the Tiger when they were
young to pester their parents to buy some and continue to buy it, certainly
not for those who see the slinky models in Special K ads and think they'll
look like that after a few boxes (hint: to look like that, you can't eat
the box in two or three meals). Advertising plays a valid role in brand
identification, so consumers can match their needs to particular products.T
The same holds for beer (Miller Lite versus Bud Lite versus Sam Adams
versus Guinness versus Red Stripe... how many ads have I seen lately). Get
over it.

> How often do you see spinich souffle advertised,

I see a lot of the ingredients advertised, including national promotions on
radio and tv from the ("the incredible, edible...") egg board.

> or potatos au grautten

Potatoes au gratin. I do see print ads for potatoes, and I know the other
ingredients ("got" milk, cheese, butter) are frequently advertised.

> or prime ribs.

Daily, especially from Applebee's and Chili's. Beef producers also band
together to buy "beef, it's what's for supper" ads. Dittos for pork, which
I understand is "the other white meat."

> Even the milk, eggs, apple and orange
> industries' advertising budget is small compared to that of the breakfast
> cereal industry.

Bullshit. Utter bullshit. The Houston Astros play in MINUTE MAID PARK.
Minute Maid is a juice company, primarily orange. They pay the Astros a lot
of money to put their name all over and all inside the park, on their
website, etc. Additionally, they spend a hell of a lot of money on ads
which run on Houston Astros broadcasts. Minute Maid also buys ads which run
on our regional Fox Sports channel when the Astros aren't on it. Add that
to the money for Florida orange juice, Florida Natural, etc. I see more
orange juice ads than I see cereal ads; then again, I'm not watching tv at
times when cereal ads are more likely to run, much less the shows aimed at
their target demographics (children). Budgets for dairy, cheese, and egg
advertising are very high -- as noted above, I see ads for those products
in print media as well as hear them on the radio and see them on
television.

Posted to alt.food.vegan

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 02:19:02 -0700, Monkkey's Unkle
> wrote:

>I, too, am in a conundrum over breakfast cereals.
>
>They give me distress for another reason. The distress they give me is in
>the wallet. Why is it that the breakfast food industry as a whole would
>rather compete with using the biggest and most expensive advertising
>campaigns (passing the cost of the advertising on to the consumer, of
>course) instead of competing by price? Dollars spent on excessive
>advertising do not contribute one bit to the caloric intake, the
>nutritional benefit or the taste of any breakfast cereal. Period.
>Guaranteed. Right now, I do not eat breakfast cereals because they are
>overpriced, mostly, I suspect, from all the advertising they do. Most
>other foods are content to get by with a minimum of advertising.
>
>--
>Monkkey's Unkle Power (better than Flower Power)

At Big Lots in San Diego (North Park) you can get organic vegan cereal
(Barbara's Bakery) for $1.50 a box. One type has coupons on the
back. I haven't tried using coupons at Big Lots yet (don't know if
they take them), but now that I think of it, I could have been paying
only $1 a box.

later,
t.racer

Posted to alt.food.vegan

chico chupacabra wrote:

> > My problem is that advertising has driven up the price of breakfast
> > cereals too much.

> Too much for whom? Certainly not mothers who buy their children whatever
> they want, certainly not for those who were intrigued enough by characters
> like the Trix rabbit or Count Chocula or Tony the Tiger when they were
> young to pester their parents to buy some and continue to buy it, certainly
> not for those who see the slinky models in Special K ads and think they'll
> look like that after a few boxes (hint: to look like that, you can't eat
> the box in two or three meals). Advertising plays a valid role in brand
> identification, so consumers can match their needs to particular products.T
> The same holds for beer (Miller Lite versus Bud Lite versus Sam Adams
> versus Guinness versus Red Stripe... how many ads have I seen lately). Get
> over it.

I talked to a teenager at BiLo about this today. He told me he's
reading from Naomi somebody's No Logo (i've heard about but never read
it). He basically said the same thing. That advertising competition
(instead of price wars) is about loyaltly and image. I suppose I
agree. Identification with political parties goes the same way. Its
very superficial for a large percentage. There seems to be critical
mass working against this casual consumption. It may be necessity too,
but thinking off-hand about airlines--haven't price wars been the
dominant aspect of competition in recent years?--brings to mind SUVs.
I saw a Toyota Tercel this week and it made me smile. But we own our
cars not airplanes. It must be that some people pay for image one way
and others pay for it in others (designer diet foods and such). Its
such a make-believe world, advertising. You rarely get honest
information. Its like an accepted norm that you're being conned.
-buzz

Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 02:19:02 -0700, Monkkey's Unkle > wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 22:17:22 -0700, buzzgun wrote:
>
>> Anyone hazard a guess about a small conundrum? I'd rather preface the
>> matter with a maxim: Its what is on the inside that counts. Ok, why
>> does a breakfast cereal(usually granola based)/soy milk (rice,almond
>> too) combination cause me gastric distress? Its like I'm eating ice
>> cream again: loose poop. I haven't the first clue why. I have
>> substituted oatmeal with great success. Still want my cereal though.

>I, too, am in a conundrum over breakfast cereals.
>
>They give me distress for another reason. The distress they give me is in
>the wallet. Why is it that the breakfast food industry as a whole would
>rather compete with using the biggest and most expensive advertising
>campaigns (passing the cost of the advertising on to the consumer, of
>course) instead of competing by price? Dollars spent on excessive
>advertising do not contribute one bit to the caloric intake, the
>nutritional benefit or the taste of any breakfast cereal. Period.

If you buy a 50 lb bag of sweet feed, maybe you could learn to enjoy
eating that...
Posted to alt.food.vegan

Update: I just looked at the Big Lot's ad. At the bottom in fine print
it says, "We do not accept manufacturer's coupons." However, the good
news is that Ralph's has a "health food" aisle, and they DOUBLE their
coupons. However, let me warn you. If you have 2 $1 off coupons for
different products they will only double one of them. So, to get your
extra dollar you have to go back in and buy the other item separately.