Posted to alt.food.vegan

Default Raw beets irritate my throat

Has this happened to anyone? I ate this big raw red beet that I grew
for too long in my garden. It irritates my throat. I dunno if it's just
this beet or all of them. Maybe it's just this one. Is this irritation
due to enzymes in the beet? Has this happened to anyone else? It seems
similar to when I hurt my tongue from the enzymes in a pineapple,
although that was worse than the beet.

Posted to alt.food.vegan

Get a blood test to see what you are allergic too. Meanwhile you might
want to cut raw beets out of your diet

Also - sometimes nutritionally deficient individuals have painful
tongues like that with certain foods. See if the feeling goes when you
stop eating the beets and if it doesn't, get a tibc blood test to see
if your iron stores are low and a cbc blood test to see if you might
have an infection (oncoming thrush, etc)

Hope this help any!

Posted to alt.food.vegan

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Has this happened to anyone? I ate this big raw red beet that I grew
> for too long in my garden. It irritates my throat. I dunno if it's just
> this beet or all of them. Maybe it's just this one. Is this irritation
> due to enzymes in the beet? Has this happened to anyone else? It seems
> similar to when I hurt my tongue from the enzymes in a pineapple,
> although that was worse than the beet.

If I don't take anti-histamines when I eat fruit, raw vegetables and
unroasted nuts my mouth itches and gets sore. Not a good thing to have this
reaction to these foods when you are a vegetarian (!) but at least the
anti-histamines stop the irritation. Cooked veg and fruit I'm fine with
(and nuts if they're roasted), just can't have them in their raw state
without the allergy meds. Try Googling 'contact urticaria caused by food'.

Tracey

Posted to alt.food.vegan

Tracey wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > Has this happened to anyone? I ate this big raw red beet that I grew
> > for too long in my garden. It irritates my throat. I dunno if it's just
> > this beet or all of them. Maybe it's just this one. Is this irritation
> > due to enzymes in the beet? Has this happened to anyone else? It seems
> > similar to when I hurt my tongue from the enzymes in a pineapple,
> > although that was worse than the beet.
> >

> If I don't take anti-histamines when I eat fruit, raw vegetables and
> unroasted nuts my mouth itches and gets sore. Not a good thing to have this
> reaction to these foods when you are a vegetarian (!) but at least the
> anti-histamines stop the irritation. Cooked veg and fruit I'm fine with
> (and nuts if they're roasted), just can't have them in their raw state
> without the allergy meds. Try Googling 'contact urticaria caused by food'.

Is it a good idea to eat foods that you are intolerant of and then use
drugs
to mitigate the effects?

> Tracey

Posted to alt.food.vegan

"Dave" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Tracey wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>> > Has this happened to anyone? I ate this big raw red beet that I grew
>> > for too long in my garden. It irritates my throat. I dunno if it's just
>> > this beet or all of them. Maybe it's just this one. Is this irritation
>> > due to enzymes in the beet? Has this happened to anyone else? It seems
>> > similar to when I hurt my tongue from the enzymes in a pineapple,
>> > although that was worse than the beet.
>> >

>> If I don't take anti-histamines when I eat fruit, raw vegetables and
>> unroasted nuts my mouth itches and gets sore. Not a good thing to have
>> this
>> reaction to these foods when you are a vegetarian (!) but at least the
>> anti-histamines stop the irritation. Cooked veg and fruit I'm fine with
>> (and nuts if they're roasted), just can't have them in their raw state
>> without the allergy meds. Try Googling 'contact urticaria caused by
>> food'.

> Is it a good idea to eat foods that you are intolerant of and then use
> drugs
> to mitigate the effects?
>>
>> Tracey

I did wonder about that myself for a while, but I am allergic to so many
things, including the sun, I wouldn't be able to do much if I didn't take
the anti-histamines and do it anyway. The foods I am sensitive to don't
actually effect me in any life-threatening way like somebody with a nut
allergy might be effected, they just irritate the inside of my mouth.

Tracey

Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Has this happened to anyone? I ate this big raw red beet that I grew
for too long in my garden. It irritates my throat. I dunno if it's just
this beet or all of them. Maybe it's just this one. Is this irritation
due to enzymes in the beet? Has this happened to anyone else? It seems
similar to when I hurt my tongue from the enzymes in a pineapple,
although that was worse than the beet.
I juice beets straight from my garden. If I drink the juice straight, it makes my throat raw. If I dilute the juice with cucumber juice 1 part beet : 5 part cucumber, it's excellent. Refreshing, energizing, and no reaction to my throat.