Posted to alt.food.vegan

Default Vegetarian Camping/Cooking?

I'm hoping someone here can help me...I'm going on a 5 day camping trip
with a girl that I really like who happens to be a vegetarian. This is our
first real excursion together and I kind of want to impress her with my
out-door culinary skills. i.e. I don't just want to bring a cooler full of
Morningstar veggie burgers (I like them, but doubt they would keep).

I'm hoping some of you could toss out some good recipes that would impress
a vegetarian....All we have to cook with is a tiny pro-pane grill.

Like I said, I really want to impress this girl...The trip is for 5 days,
so it has to be food that will keep in a cooler prior to being cooked....

I can come up with some really good *cold food* ideas, but when it comes to
the grill I'm coming up short of ideas....

The only thing I've thought of so far is to make my own veggie burgers from
scratch, or maybe Portabella Fajitas marinated in wine... They would grill
easy...and would make a good meal.

Any other ideas or recipes would be greatly appreciated. The more intricate
the recipe the better. I am a cook by trade...I just don't have experience
in this avenue of cooking. Looking to tap your expertise.

Thanks for any help you have to offer!
Posted to alt.food.vegan
nyx nyx is offline

Wharfrat wrote:
> I'm hoping someone here can help me...I'm going on a 5 day camping trip
> with a girl that I really like who happens to be a vegetarian. This is our
> first real excursion together and I kind of want to impress her with my
> out-door culinary skills. i.e. I don't just want to bring a cooler full of
> Morningstar veggie burgers (I like them, but doubt they would keep).
>
> I'm hoping some of you could toss out some good recipes that would impress
> a vegetarian....All we have to cook with is a tiny pro-pane grill.
>
> Like I said, I really want to impress this girl...The trip is for 5 days,
> so it has to be food that will keep in a cooler prior to being cooked....
>
> I can come up with some really good *cold food* ideas, but when it comes to
> the grill I'm coming up short of ideas....
>
> The only thing I've thought of so far is to make my own veggie burgers from
> scratch, or maybe Portabella Fajitas marinated in wine... They would grill
> easy...and would make a good meal.
>
> Any other ideas or recipes would be greatly appreciated. The more intricate
> the recipe the better. I am a cook by trade...I just don't have experience
> in this avenue of cooking. Looking to tap your expertise.
>
> Thanks for any help you have to offer!

You can also marinate a portabello mushroom (whole) in wine, or another
favorite marinate of yours. Then grill it like you would a hambuger (but
be sure and use a different spatula for the mushroom, she probably won't
want any meat juice on the mushrooom!) If she likes onions, they are
real great grilled on top of the mushroom as they add a great flavor!
Add some grilled green, red, orange, or yellow peppers, grilled tomato,
and top of the "burger" with them and lettuce and you have a great
grilled vegetable sandwich.
Posted to alt.food.vegan

Are you backpacking or Campground tailgating?

Trader Joe's sells cooked brown rice in sealed shelf stable packs, these
will backpack easily and only need heating. roasted veggies and brown
rice with a nice sauce...
Do a google search there are a lot of good grilled tofu recipes around.

To really impress the girl, go vegetarian yourself for the trip. It is
also easier than cooking two separate meals at a time.

Peanut Noodles:
Cook ramen noodles in veg boullion with mixed vegetables. Make a sauce
of peanut butter, rice vinegar, water, soy sauce and red pepper. Toss
noodles and sauce. You can use tahini instead of peanut butter.

Good Luck
Posted to alt.food.vegan

Wharfrat wrote:
> I'm hoping someone here can help me...I'm going on a 5 day camping trip
> with a girl that I really like who happens to be a vegetarian. This is our
> first real excursion together and I kind of want to impress her with my
> out-door culinary skills. i.e. I don't just want to bring a cooler full of
> Morningstar veggie burgers (I like them, but doubt they would keep).
>
> I'm hoping some of you could toss out some good recipes that would impress
> a vegetarian....All we have to cook with is a tiny pro-pane grill.
>
> Like I said, I really want to impress this girl...The trip is for 5 days,
> so it has to be food that will keep in a cooler prior to being cooked....
>
> I can come up with some really good *cold food* ideas, but when it comes to
> the grill I'm coming up short of ideas....
>
> The only thing I've thought of so far is to make my own veggie burgers from
> scratch, or maybe Portabella Fajitas marinated in wine... They would grill
> easy...and would make a good meal.
>
> Any other ideas or recipes would be greatly appreciated. The more intricate
> the recipe the better. I am a cook by trade...I just don't have experience
> in this avenue of cooking. Looking to tap your expertise.
>
> Thanks for any help you have to offer!

Try asking the same question in rec.food.veg.cooking