Posted to alt.food.vegan

Default Newest newbie here

As a newbie, what should I expect from this group?
Posted to alt.food.vegan

"firechild" > wrote in message
. ..
> As a newbie, what should I expect from this group?

Read all the posts and then you can judge for your self. It has taken me
nearly a week to go through the thousands of posts on the forum. Good Luck

Posted to alt.food.vegan

Isabeau wrote:
> "firechild" > wrote in message
> . ..
>
>>As a newbie, what should I expect from this group?

> Read all the posts and then you can judge for your self. It has taken me
> nearly a week to go through the thousands of posts on the forum. Good Luck

Wow! This is quite the lot we've got here...
I'll introduce myself. I'm a strict vegetarian. I think I'll steer clear
of all the animal rights related posts and stick to the dietary pieces.
Since I'm not a vegan, I can't speak about those issues.
Posted to alt.food.vegan

In article >, nyx77
@comcast.net says...
> Fred wrote:
> > In article >,
> > says...

> om...

> >>Wow! This is quite the lot we've got here...
> >>I'll introduce myself. I'm a strict vegetarian. I think I'll steer clear
> >>of all the animal rights related posts and stick to the dietary pieces.
> >> Since I'm not a vegan, I can't speak about those issues.
> >>

> > What's the difference between a Strict Vegetarian and a Vegan?

> A vegan adopts an entire lifestyle surrounding the cruelty to animals
> and advoids the use of anything derived from animal sources. It truly
> is a lifestyle adaptation. Of course, this also involves dietary
> restrictions of all sources of animal "food".
>
> A strict vegetarian is someone who does not eat any form of meat,
> chicken, fish, eggs, milk, cheese, etc. A strict vegetriarian is mostly
> concened about what food to eat, not so much about the other uses of
> animal products.
>
> For example, a vegan will not knowingly wear or purchase a leather coat,
> shoes, or belt, whereas a strict vegetarian doesn't necessarily concern
> oneself with that.

Sounds a fair enough definition, but I started calling myself a Vegan as
soon as I became what you call a strict vegetarian, ie before I stopped
using leather etc.
My (old) dictionary doesn't help as the entry for vegan is ... "person
who eats no meat or animal products" I prefer the distinction made by
your definitions though.
Posted to alt.food.vegan

"Fred" > wrote in message
m...
> In article >,
> nyx77
> @comcast.net says...
>> Fred wrote:
>> > In article >,
>> > says...

>> om...

>> > What's the difference between a Strict Vegetarian and a
>> > Vegan?

>> A vegan adopts an entire lifestyle surrounding the cruelty to
>> animals
>> and advoids the use of anything derived from animal sources.
>> It truly
>> is a lifestyle adaptation. Of course, this also involves
>> dietary
>> restrictions of all sources of animal "food".
>>
>> A strict vegetarian is someone who does not eat any form of
>> meat,
>> chicken, fish, eggs, milk, cheese, etc. A strict vegetriarian
>> is mostly
>> concened about what food to eat, not so much about the other
>> uses of
>> animal products.
>>
>> For example, a vegan will not knowingly wear or purchase a
>> leather coat,
>> shoes, or belt, whereas a strict vegetarian doesn't
>> necessarily concern
>> oneself with that.
>>

> Sounds a fair enough definition, but I started calling myself a
> Vegan as
> soon as I became what you call a strict vegetarian, ie before I
> stopped
> using leather etc.
> My (old) dictionary doesn't help as the entry for vegan is ...
> "person
> who eats no meat or animal products" I prefer the distinction
> made by
> your definitions though.

==========
The term vegan was coined by Donald Watson in 1944 and was
defined as
follows:
"...Veganism is a way of living which excludes all forms of
exploitation
of, and cruelty to, the animal kingdom, and includes a reverence
for life.
It applies to the practice of living on the products of the plant
kingdom to
the exclusion of flesh, fish, fowl, eggs, honey, animal milk and
its
derivatives, and encourages the use of alternatives for all
commodities
derived wholly or in part from animals..."
http://www.vegetus.org/honey/honey.htm

"...If you are thinking to yourself, "But I'm a vegan for
health reasons"
or "I'm a vegan for environmental reasons," please reconsider how
you label
yourself. Unlike the word vegetarian, the word vegan specifically
implies
moral concern for animals, and this concern extends to all areas
of life,
not just diet. If you do not believe in animal equality, please
consider
referring to yourself as someone who doesn't eat animal products,
as one who
follows a plant-based diet, or as one who follows a vegan diet.
Additionally, anyone who eats honey, yet refers to herself as a
vegan, makes
life difficult for other vegans--it's like having someone who
eats fish and
calls herself a vegetarian. When a vegetarian comes along, it is
much harder
for her to explain that fish is not acceptable for
vegetarians..."
http://www.vegetus.org/honey/nomenclature.htm
"...veganism is a "way of life," and "a philosophy."..."
http://www.vegsource.com/jo/essays/namegame.htm

Posted to alt.food.vegan

In article t>,
says...
> The term vegan was coined by Donald Watson in 1944 and was
> defined as
> follows:
> "...Veganism is a way of living which excludes all forms of
> exploitation
> of, and cruelty to, the animal kingdom, and includes a reverence
> for life.
> It applies to the practice of living on the products of the plant
> kingdom to
> the exclusion of flesh, fish, fowl, eggs, honey, animal milk and
> its
> derivatives, and encourages the use of alternatives for all
> commodities
> derived wholly or in part from animals..."

http://www.vegetus.org/honey/honey.htm

> "...If you are thinking to yourself, "But I'm a vegan for
> health reasons"
> or "I'm a vegan for environmental reasons," please reconsider how
> you label
> yourself. Unlike the word vegetarian, the word vegan specifically
> implies
> moral concern for animals, and this concern extends to all areas
> of life,
> not just diet. If you do not believe in animal equality, please
> consider
> referring to yourself as someone who doesn't eat animal products,
> as one who
> follows a plant-based diet, or as one who follows a vegan diet.
> Additionally, anyone who eats honey, yet refers to herself as a
> vegan, makes
> life difficult for other vegans--it's like having someone who
> eats fish and
> calls herself a vegetarian. When a vegetarian comes along, it is
> much harder
> for her to explain that fish is not acceptable for
> vegetarians..."
> http://www.vegetus.org/honey/nomenclature.htm
> "...veganism is a "way of life," and "a philosophy."..."
> http://www.vegsource.com/jo/essays/namegame.htm

The only thing I am uncomfortable with there is the inference that a
strict vegetarian would eat honey. I would have thoght that, as far as
diet is concerned, a *Strict* Vegetarian would be indistinguishable from
a Vegan.
Posted to alt.food.vegan
nyx nyx is offline

Fred wrote:
> In article t>,
> says...
>
>>The term vegan was coined by Donald Watson in 1944 and was
>>defined as
>>follows:
>> "...Veganism is a way of living which excludes all forms of
>>exploitation
>>of, and cruelty to, the animal kingdom, and includes a reverence
>>for life.
>>It applies to the practice of living on the products of the plant
>>kingdom to
>>the exclusion of flesh, fish, fowl, eggs, honey, animal milk and
>>its
>>derivatives, and encourages the use of alternatives for all
>>commodities
>>derived wholly or in part from animals..."

http://www.vegetus.org/honey/honey.htm

>> "...If you are thinking to yourself, "But I'm a vegan for
>>health reasons"
>>or "I'm a vegan for environmental reasons," please reconsider how
>>you label
>>yourself. Unlike the word vegetarian, the word vegan specifically
>>implies
>>moral concern for animals, and this concern extends to all areas
>>of life,
>>not just diet. If you do not believe in animal equality, please
>>consider
>>referring to yourself as someone who doesn't eat animal products,
>>as one who
>>follows a plant-based diet, or as one who follows a vegan diet.
>>Additionally, anyone who eats honey, yet refers to herself as a
>>vegan, makes
>>life difficult for other vegans--it's like having someone who
>>eats fish and
>>calls herself a vegetarian. When a vegetarian comes along, it is
>>much harder
>>for her to explain that fish is not acceptable for
>>vegetarians..."
>> http://www.vegetus.org/honey/nomenclature.htm
>> "...veganism is a "way of life," and "a philosophy."..."
>> http://www.vegsource.com/jo/essays/namegame.htm
>>

> The only thing I am uncomfortable with there is the inference that a
> strict vegetarian would eat honey. I would have thoght that, as far as
> diet is concerned, a *Strict* Vegetarian would be indistinguishable from
> a Vegan.

Yes, that would be correct as far as diet is concerned. Many people will
say that they eat a "vegan" diet and at that point (with the exception
of probably honey) there wouldn't be a difference. The vegan
"lifestyle" however is different.

Posted to alt.food.vegan

Fred wrote:

The only thing I am uncomfortable with there is the inference that a
> strict vegetarian would eat honey. I would have thoght that, as far as
> diet is concerned, a *Strict* Vegetarian would be indistinguishable from
> a Vegan.

Someone shoulda told you:

1. Some vegetarians eat milk poducts.

2. Some eat eggs but no milk.

3. A legit vegan eats nothing from an animal. "Honey"-----------?

Ronnie tries tio stay vegan but sometimes has pizza.

Lil', Fat Ronnie

Posted to alt.food.vegan

shabby little ****wit blabbered:
> Fred wrote:
>
> The only thing I am uncomfortable with there is the inference that a
> > strict vegetarian would eat honey. I would have thoght that, as far as
> > diet is concerned, a *Strict* Vegetarian would be indistinguishable from
> > a Vegan.

> Someone shoulda told you:
>
> 1. Some vegetarians eat milk poducts.

NO vegetarians eat dairy products - dairy products are animal derived.

> 2. Some eat eggs but no milk.

NO vegetarians eat eggs - eggs are animal products.

> 3. A legit vegan eats nothing from an animal. "Honey"-----------?
>
> Ronnie tries tio stay vegan but sometimes has pizza.

ronnnnnnnie is an unserious twit.

Posted to alt.food.vegan

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> shabby little ****wit blabbered:
>> Fred wrote:
>>
>> The only thing I am uncomfortable with there is the inference that a
>> > strict vegetarian would eat honey. I would have thoght that, as far as
>> > diet is concerned, a *Strict* Vegetarian would be indistinguishable
>> > from
>> > a Vegan.

>> Someone shoulda told you:
>>
>> 1. Some vegetarians eat milk poducts.

> NO vegetarians eat dairy products - dairy products are animal derived.

Not true, vegetarians don't eat dead animals, some still eat animal
products.

>> 2. Some eat eggs but no milk.

> NO vegetarians eat eggs - eggs are animal products.

Not true.
I eat eggs from my own chickens, for example, because I don't think there's
any welfare problem with that. They're ex-batteries, having a wonderful
retirement, and I eat the eggs.
I still think of my self as veggy.