Posted to co.general,alt.politics.republicans,alt.politics.usa.republican,alt.politics.usa.republicans,alt.politics.republican,alt.politics.usa,alt.politics.usa.misc,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

Default Unethical Treatment of Humans - PETA display draws hostility; condiments thrown

Vegetarian: Old indian word for "lousy hunter".

http://www.calpatriot.org/article.php?articleID=445

Unethical Treatment of Humans
PETA display draws hostility; condiments thrown

Story by Andrew R. Quinio
Posted March 23rd, 2006

PETA display comparing animal treatment to lynching
by Andrew R. Quinio

PETA display comparing animal treatment to slavery
by Andrew R. Quinio

A member of PETA wipes off ketchup and mustard thrown on the
display earlier by Andrew R. Quinio

Students from PETA, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals,
drew an angry crowd on Sproul after displaying images that
compared animal treatment to the lynching and enslavement of
black Americans. About a dozen Berkeley students furiously
engaged the PETA members, accusing the animal rights group of
racism. The situation intensified when one member of the crowd
threw ketchup and mustard on the PETA display and another tore
down part of the exhibit.

One image presented by PETA featured a chained elephant foot
juxtaposed with the chained foot of a slave. Another showed
black individuals hanging from a tree by their necks contrasted
with the image of a cow being hung by its hind legs. Several
black students shouted down the PETA students and called for the
display to be taken down. One student who was upset by PETA’s
comparison of slavery to animal mistreatment shouted amid tears,
“I’m not trying to say that people should eat meat. I understand
you, but the way you’re depicting our history, the way you are
depicting the things that happened to us, the thing that
happened to our ancestors, it’s not ok, it’s not ok!”

Another student, identified as Autumn by her peers, tore down
one of the images in a fit of rage. Dominique Nisperos, a third
year Cal student, was also upset by PETA’s display and argued
with one of the group’s members. When asked if tearing down the
display was appropriate on a campus that touts its free speech
history, Nisperos responded, “I can see why they did it.” She
added that bringing up the free speech issue “isn’t getting to
the root of the problem. The means at expressing [PETA’s]
message was racist.” Veronica Nisperos, a Berkeley student also
incensed by the exhibit, stated that the group did have a point,
but the way in which they made it, “created opposition among
people who should be allies.”

Sengeeta Kumar, who led the PETA group, was surprised to have
encountered such a reaction at UC Berkeley. “I was really hoping
that people would think critically…it became very emotional and
almost dangerous in the sense that people were threatening and
pulling things down and it just became unsafe,” she said. Kumar
noted that her group has taken the exhibit to 13 different
schools and never faced a hostile reaction.

PETA eventually gave into the pressure and dismantled their
display. Kumar expressed disappointment in her organization’s
inability to get their message across. “When emotions are risen,
people can be closed to dialogue.” She added, “We are all part
of oppression, of beings who can’t speak for themselves. Animals
are enslaved in our hands. This exhibit isn’t about demeaning
any people, it about uplifting humanity.”

PETA members spent the rest of the afternoon wiping off the
ketchup and mustard that was sprayed on their display.

Video 1: An unidentified student shouts down a PETA member.

Video 2: A student identified as Autumn by her peers is calmed
down after tearing down a PETA display.

Video 3: Unidentified student explains the ketchup throwing
incident.

Ms. Libertarian - United States of America

Posted to co.general,alt.politics.republicans,alt.politics.usa.republican,alt.politics.usa.republicans,alt.politics.republican,alt.politics.usa,alt.politics.usa.misc,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

"Ms Libertarian" > wrote in message
. 97.142...
> Vegetarian: Old indian word for "lousy hunter".

ok, that made me laugh

Posted to co.general,alt.politics.republicans,alt.politics.usa.republican,alt.politics.usa.republicans,alt.politics.republican,alt.politics.usa,alt.politics.usa.misc,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

> [...]
> noted that her group has taken the exhibit to 13 different
> schools and never faced a hostile reaction.
>
> PETA eventually gave into the pressure and dismantled their
> display. Kumar expressed disappointment in her organization's
> inability to get their message across. "When emotions are risen,
> people can be closed to dialogue." She added, "We are all part
> of oppression, of beings who can't speak for themselves. Animals
> are enslaved in our hands. This exhibit isn't about demeaning
> any people, it about uplifting humanity."
>
> PETA members spent the rest of the afternoon wiping off the
> ketchup and mustard that was sprayed on their display.
>
> Video 1: An unidentified student shouts down a PETA member.
>
> Video 2: A student identified as Autumn by her peers is calmed
> down after tearing down a PETA display.
>
> Video 3: Unidentified student explains the ketchup throwing

It doesn't take a yahoogroup to undersatand that PETA are dangerous
nutballs.

Posted to alt.politics.usa.republican,alt.politics.republican,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

Ms Libertarian wrote:
> [...]
>
> PETA eventually gave into the pressure and dismantled their
> display. Kumar expressed disappointment in her organization's
> inability to get their message across. "When emotions are risen,
> people can be closed to dialogue." She added, "We are all part
> of oppression, of beings who can't speak for themselves. Animals
> are enslaved in our hands. This exhibit isn't about demeaning
> any people, it about uplifting humanity."
>
> PETA members spent the rest of the afternoon wiping off the
> ketchup and mustard that was sprayed on their display.
>
> Video 1: An unidentified student shouts down a PETA member.
>
> Video 2: A student identified as Autumn by her peers is calmed
> down after tearing down a PETA display.
>
> Video 3: Unidentified student explains the ketchup throwing
> incident.

> Ms. Libertarian - United States of America

http://www.gwhatchet.com/media/stora....gwhatchet.com

Posted to alt.politics.republicans,alt.politics.usa.republican,alt.politics.usa,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

Ms Libertarian wrote:
> [...]
> people who should be allies."
>
> Sengeeta Kumar, who led the PETA group, was surprised to have
> encountered such a reaction at UC Berkeley. "I was really hoping
> that people would think critically...it became very emotional and
> almost dangerous in the sense that people were threatening and
> pulling things down and it just became unsafe," she said. Kumar
> noted that her group has taken the exhibit to 13 different
> schools and never faced a hostile reaction.

> PETA eventually gave into the pressure and dismantled their
> display. Kumar expressed disappointment in her organization's
> inability to get their message across. "When emotions are risen,
> people can be closed to dialogue." She added, "We are all part
> of oppression, of beings who can't speak for themselves. Animals
> are enslaved in our hands. This exhibit isn't about demeaning
> any people, it about uplifting humanity."

PETA is like Mel Gibson, though.
The only thing they know about dialogue, logic, ethics, or food,
is splash, flash, and cash.