Posted to alt.food.vegan

Default Raw veggies and nutrients

If you eat your veggies raw and fresh picked from your garden, do you
get a lot more vitamins than if you cook them? I am especially
interested in the B group of vitamins. I read a web page that listed
how much vitamins are in each vegetable, but only the cooked versions.
If I can get a lot more vitamins from raw vegetables, then I won't have
to eat massive quantities of veggies. I don't enjoy eating veggies, but
I'm eating raw veggies just for the nutrition, which I absolutely need.
One web site told me I have to eat 1 pound of veggies per 50 pounds of
body weight. That's a helluva lot. I'd have to spend all day chewing
veggies.

Posted to alt.food.vegan
nyx nyx is offline

wrote:
> If you eat your veggies raw and fresh picked from your garden, do you
> get a lot more vitamins than if you cook them? I am especially
> interested in the B group of vitamins. I read a web page that listed
> how much vitamins are in each vegetable, but only the cooked versions.
> If I can get a lot more vitamins from raw vegetables, then I won't have
> to eat massive quantities of veggies. I don't enjoy eating veggies, but
> I'm eating raw veggies just for the nutrition, which I absolutely need.
> One web site told me I have to eat 1 pound of veggies per 50 pounds of
> body weight. That's a helluva lot. I'd have to spend all day chewing
> veggies.

Look at this site:
http://www.healthalternatives2000.com/vitchart.htm

It does a pretty good job of giving the various vitamin amounts. I have
read somewhere that an average size orange provides 100% of the vitamin
C you need and just 15 min a day in the sunlight will give you 100% of
the vitamin D you need. The B vitamins are tougher. The Avacodo is a
good source for all the B's as it contains all but B12 (a completely
different issue for Vegans - can get this one from nutritional yeast)

Hope this helps

Yeast Nutrients Wayne Harris Winemaking 16 04-06-2008 06:09 PM
Do Roasted Veggies keep their nutrients? meatnub General Cooking 17 17-05-2008 06:18 PM
Nutrients in turkey? Ken Knecht General Cooking 10 09-05-2007 12:49 AM
Yeast Nutrients Bob Winemaking 2 13-10-2004 12:53 PM
Nutrients tofubar Vegan 5 18-11-2003 06:55 PM