Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan

Default Can we do better?

"rick" > wrote in message link.net...

> "pearl" > wrote in message
> > "rick" > wrote in message
> > ink.net...
> >
> >> vegan and will remain so, so the focus on meats is just a
> >> deversion from your own bloody footprints.

> > Your focus on plant foods is just a diversion from
> > your own blood-drenched boot prints, slaughterer.
> >
> > Go sort your own lifestyle out, and get back to us.

> ======================
> ROTFLMAO What a hoot fool!! Unlike you I realize that animals
> are going to die for every aspect of my life and I don't claim
> that I live in such a way as to make that delusion a smug
> religion.

You don't *care*, and you get off on attacking others that do.

Pitiful.

> Now, when you recognize your hypocrisy, get back with us
> killer...

The hypocrisy is all yours.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan

"pearl" > wrote in message
> "rick" > wrote in message
> link.net...
>>
>> "pearl" > wrote in message
>> > "rick" > wrote in message
>> > ink.net...

>> > Your focus on plant foods is just a diversion from
>> > your own blood-drenched boot prints, slaughterer.
>> >
>> > Go sort your own lifestyle out, and get back to us.

>> ======================
>> ROTFLMAO What a hoot fool!! Unlike you I realize that
>> animals
>> are going to die for every aspect of my life and I don't claim
>> that I live in such a way as to make that delusion a smug
>> religion.

> You don't *care*, and you get off on attacking others that do.
>
> Pitiful.

=========================
Tes, your religious delusions and lys are pitiful, hypocrite...

>> Now, when you recognize your hypocrisy, get back with us
>> killer...

> The hypocrisy is all yours.

======================
English is hard for you, huh? I suggest you look up the meaning,
killer. Your picture displays prominently

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan

wrote:
> Leif Erikson wrote:
> > wrote:

> > > No, it does not. Animals have the right not to be killed unnecessarily.

> > Animals don't have *any* rights.

> Well, I don't agree.

Yeah, all you have is your emotional inclination.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan

rick wrote:
> "Dave" > wrote in message
> ups.com...

> > Who grows the rice? Where is it grown? How is it grown?
> >
> > Potatoes? Bananas?
> >
> > Who grows the bananas? where are they grown? How are they
> > grown. You are being too simplistic. Just as not all beef is
> > the
> > same, the same is true of rice, bananas, apples and potatoes.

> =====================
> Except for bananas you're right.

Why "except bananas"?

> that's the point. Vegans look
> only at one typr of meat production and declare all meat bad, yet
> NEVER compare their own foods. Thanks for pointing out my
> statement.

You're welcome. I've consistently argued that we should not tar
all meat with the same brush.

> >> ========================
> >> Then you haven't done enough research.

> > For you to be so confident about that you would have to know
> > about
> > some research that has been done on the matter. Please share it
> > with us.

> ===============================
> I have.

So you say.

> Vegans always ignore it, like you and rumperroom....

When you shared research that compared apples, bananas, rice
and potatoes, I must have missed it. Please share it again.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan

rick wrote:
> "Dave" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>

> snip...
>
> eat meat, and that wasn't much impact at all.
> >>
> >> Surely it's about the same amount of impact as Rick makes by
> >> buying
> >> grass-fed beef.

> > Exactly. Not eating intensively produced beef has about the
> > same
> > impact on the beef factories irrespective of whether you choose
> > eat extensively reared beef or plant foods instead. Thank you
> > for supplying the voice of reason and common sense.

> =======================
> And, he is as wrong as you are. Buying grass-fed beef is not an
> additional amount of beef on the market. That's what it would
> have to be to have no impact on normal beef processing.
> Grass-fed beef is a *replacement* of the normal beef industry
> product. It is a large and growing portion of the beef supply.
> It IS an impact on the type of production that vegans decry, but
> do not have any say in since they have dropped out!

Go play with someone else. I gave up on you long ago.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan

rick wrote:
> "Dave" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > rick wrote:
> >> "Dave" > wrote in message

> snip...

> >> ==================
> >> Show me these intensive indoor reared beef farms, dave.

> > I said most animals, not most cattle. Most pigs and poultry
> > spend their lives indoors. Most cattle spend part of their
> > lives grazing and part being fed in feedlots.

> ===================
> I guess I'd better go out back and let the chickens know that
> they aren't really running around, huh?

I said *most* chickens, not *all* chickens. You need comprehension
101.

> >> and fed cultivated products with feed/flesh conversion

> >> =========================
> >> LOL Just because they disapprove of a product does not then
> >> mean
> >> their choices are being responsible dave. How stupid can you
> >> be?

> > I didn't say I admired them for making correct choices. I said
> > admired them for considering factors other than their bank
> > balances
> > and taste preferences. OK?

> =========================
> Which still means that there is not automatically something to
> admire. What part of making choices without doing any research
> makes you think that they are makling any kind of difference.
> Good intentions don't mean squat.

I beg to differ.

> >> ======================
> >> Vegans do that all the time. It's their mantra. Do try to
> >> keep
> >> up...

> > I didn't. I'm not required to defend claims I didn't make.
> > ===================

> Talk the talk, walk the walk...

You can't reasonably expect me to defend claims I didn't make.

> >> =======================
> >> They aren't doing anything to prove it dave.

> > False. They are avoiding certain products to avoid
> > complicity in associated animal abuses.

> ==========================
> That does not prove anything dave. The meat they were eating may
> have caused very little death and suffering to animals compared
> to the foods thay replaced it with.

That's not the point. The point is they are avoiding the foods they
believe to be unethical.

> Is it really so hard for you
> to admit that vegan isn't an automatic pass into heaven?

Not at all.

> >> In fact, being here
> >> proves they don't care about killing animal unnecessarily.
> >> That's the point.

> > It proves they don't care enough to go and live in a commune
> > like dancing rabbit but it doesn't prove they don't care at
> > all.

> ======================
> It proves that all their talk of rights is pure bulls**t.
>

> > As I said when you don't care at all it is easy to sit there
> > mocking people who do for not doing enough to prove it.

> ==============================
> LOL Unlike most vegans here, I do more than they to contribute
> to less animals death and suffering.

Somehow I doubt that.

> The problem is, I don't run
> around crowing that I'm some animal savior like vegans do.

> >> ======================
> >> Read what they right dave. Right now read the hate of your
> >> pal
> >> bgprwhatever...

> > I have read what they write. I have not come across one comment
> > by any regular poster here that demonstrates hatred for people
> > per se.

> ==================
> Comprehension problems huh?

I read what the actual vegans write, not your straw ones.

> >> As for proof they don't care about the unnecessary death and
> >> suffering of animals, just posting here proves that.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan

Default The numbers game

rick wrote:
> "Dave" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > The figures I'm using here are basically the first ones I came
> > across.
> > If
> > anyone wants to offer more reliable figures feel free but the
> > nature of
> > these
> > types of calculations means that I shall be making major
> > approximations
> > in any case so no point in splitting hairs over the data.
> >
> > "A beef steer gives us 459 pounds of beef to eat"
> > http://www.agr.state.nc.us/agscool/c...es/beefkid.htm
> > Note that the steers being discussed are fattened on
> > grain for the last three to four months of his life. I don't
> > know
> > whether cattle fattened on grass alone can be expected to
> > reach similar weights.

> ===============================
> Why not? I've bought halves almost that size.
>
> Here's a note from that icon of radical right-wing agenda, Mother
> Earth News. ;-)
> "...Your extra year of pasturing can be expected to produce-on
> the average -at least 200 pounds more beef than would be found on
> an equivalent feed-lot raised steer . . . and maybe as much as
> 600 pounds more!..."
> http://www.motherearthnews.com/menar...063-110-01.htm

Well I must admit I'm suprised by what I have just learnt. Presumably
this
is because grass fed steers are older?

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan

wrote:

> >> Based on DeGrazia's discussion of the evidence, I felt it was probably
> >> reasonable to assume they were insentient. I haven't got the book with
> >> me at the moment. When I get back to Sydney I can have a look and
> >> discuss the evidence with you.

> > OK. I'm afraid I have little to contribute to the subject though.
> > Perhaps I will buy the DeGrazia book myself if research suggests
> > he is a well respected authority because the topic is certainly
> > interesting. I'm just saying that, to a layman like me, the way the
> > bees behave seems to indicate some degree of conscious will.

> I find that a stretch. There's a huge gap between having pain receptors or
> some equivalent defense mechanism, and having conscious will. I am even
> dubious that most people have it.

Perhaps I got a bit carried away but the possibility that honey bees
and
ants have a conscious will does not seem to me like something we
can dismiss out of hand. It's a subject I find interesting and I will
look
at it more closely. Right now I am not qualified to argue the case.

> >> Perhaps I should give them the benefit
> >> of the doubt. But I don't think I'm going to give myself a guilt trip
> >> about killing mosquitoes.

> > No. I don't think you should give yourself guilt trips about killing
> > any type of parasite.

> He just moved the goalposts again.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan

pearl wrote:
> "Dave" > wrote in message oups.com...
>
> Pearl wrote:
>
> > 'Two years ago, he and Mr. Worm used the same
> > data to show that commercial fishing had depleted
> > the world's oceans of 90 per cent of the overall
> > abundance of big fish that flourished 50 years ago.

> Commercial methods of fishing are disruptive of the marine
> environment generally and result in significant
> quantities of bycatch which is thrown back to sea dead.
> Big fish at the top of the marine food chain are especially
> vulnerable to overfishing because they don't mature
> as fast or reproduce as rapidly as smaller fish.
>
> > ....'
> > http://www.seaotters.org/CurrentIssu....cfm?DocID=279
> >
> > At 1 fish a week for 6 billion people.., that's 6 billion fish
> > handlined per week.

> In perspective:
> "The area of the World Ocean is 361 million km², its volume is
> 1370 million km³, and its average depth is 3790 m."
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean
>
> World population = 6.5 bn
> At 1 fish per person that's 18 fish for every sqaure km of ocean
> albeit distributed somewhat unevenly.
>
> > 24 billion every month. Where are
> > these massive numbers of fish Dave proposes handlining?

> I wasn't aware that I was proposing any specific quota size.
> I suggested that we fish the seas within their biological limits,
> whatever they might be.
>
> --
>
> 'Two years ago, he and Mr. Worm used the same
> data to show that commercial fishing had depleted
> the world's oceans of 90 per cent of the overall
> abundance of big fish that flourished 50 years ago.
>
> 100% fish abundance is the naturally-occuring level.
>
> To continue to fish is like saying, "well we've taken
> eight fingers and a thumb, you won't mind if we
> continue nibbling away at your remaining digit."
>
> We don't need to eat fish.

Whatever you think about the morality of using fish as
a source of food you can not reasonably deny that we
can establish a stable predator-prey relationship within
the marine enviornment provided we don't overfish or
fish using inappropriate technologies. 90 per cent
reduction in 50 years is a damning inditement of
the way we are treating the marine ecosystem at
present but you must also bear in mind that he is
specifically referring to "big" fish and I have already
explained that the big fish are the ones most vulnerable
to overfishing.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan

"Dave" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> rick wrote:
>> "Dave" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>

>> snip...
>>
>> eat meat, and that wasn't much impact at all.

>> > Exactly. Not eating intensively produced beef has about the
>> > same
>> > impact on the beef factories irrespective of whether you choose
>> > eat extensively reared beef or plant foods instead. Thank you
>> > for supplying the voice of reason and common sense.

>> =======================
>> And, he is as wrong as you are. Buying grass-fed beef is not an
>> additional amount of beef on the market. That's what it would
>> have to be to have no impact on normal beef processing.

You have it exactly backwards rick. If it represented a *new* market, *then*
it would have no impact on the existing meat market, but since it is taking
customers *away from* traditional suppliers, it is in that respect *exactly*
like when people go vegetarian, it causes the demand for that product to
shrink and the demand for others to grow.

>> Grass-fed beef is a *replacement* of the normal beef industry
>> product. It is a large and growing portion of the beef supply.
>> It IS an impact on the type of production that vegans decry, but
>> do not have any say in since they have dropped out!

> Go play with someone else. I gave up on you long ago.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan

oups.com...

wrote:

>> > OK. I'm afraid I have little to contribute to the subject though.
>> > Perhaps I will buy the DeGrazia book myself if research suggests
>> > he is a well respected authority because the topic is certainly
>> > interesting. I'm just saying that, to a layman like me, the way the
>> > bees behave seems to indicate some degree of conscious will.

>> I find that a stretch. There's a huge gap between having pain receptors
>> or
>> some equivalent defense mechanism, and having conscious will. I am even
>> dubious that most people have it.

> Perhaps I got a bit carried away but the possibility that honey bees
> and
> ants have a conscious will does not seem to me like something we
> can dismiss out of hand. It's a subject I find interesting and I will
> look
> at it more closely. Right now I am not qualified to argue the case.

The salient point here is that "sentience" is a misapplied term by ARAs, and
they use this misapplication to exclude themselves from guilt for complicity
in a whole myriad of potential animal suffering associated with their
consumer lifestyles. This enables them to keep applying the focus where they
believe it properly belongs, on those evil and misguided meat-eaters.

>> > No. I don't think you should give yourself guilt trips about killing
>> > any type of parasite.

>> He just moved the goalposts again.

Meaning he was challenged on ants so he tried using mosquitos as his
example, a typical pro-ARA argument tactic.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan

wrote:

> >> I find that a stretch. There's a huge gap between having pain receptors
> >> or
> >> some equivalent defense mechanism, and having conscious will. I am even
> >> dubious that most people have it.

> > Perhaps I got a bit carried away but the possibility that honey bees
> > and
> > ants have a conscious will does not seem to me like something we
> > can dismiss out of hand. It's a subject I find interesting and I will
> > look
> > at it more closely. Right now I am not qualified to argue the case.

> The salient point here is that "sentience" is a misapplied term by ARAs, and
> they use this misapplication to exclude themselves from guilt for complicity
> in a whole myriad of potential animal suffering associated with their
> consumer lifestyles. This enables them to keep applying the focus where they
> believe it properly belongs, on those evil and misguided meat-eaters.

One of the things I'm not yet up to speed on is the distinctions
between
terms like "sentience", "consciousness" and all the other similar terms
that have very specific meanings in discussions like this.

> >> He just moved the goalposts again.

> Meaning he was challenged on ants so he tried using mosquitos as his
> example, a typical pro-ARA argument tactic.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan

wrote:

> >> I find that a stretch. There's a huge gap between having pain receptors
> >> or
> >> some equivalent defense mechanism, and having conscious will. I am even
> >> dubious that most people have it.

> > Perhaps I got a bit carried away but the possibility that honey bees
> > and
> > ants have a conscious will does not seem to me like something we
> > can dismiss out of hand. It's a subject I find interesting and I will
> > look
> > at it more closely. Right now I am not qualified to argue the case.

> The salient point here is that "sentience" is a misapplied term by ARAs, and
> they use this misapplication to exclude themselves from guilt for complicity
> in a whole myriad of potential animal suffering associated with their
> consumer lifestyles. This enables them to keep applying the focus where they
> believe it properly belongs, on those evil and misguided meat-eaters.

> >> He just moved the goalposts again.

> Meaning he was challenged on ants so he tried using mosquitos as his
> example,

You're right. It was illegitimate.

>a typical pro-ARA argument tactic

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan

oups.com...

wrote:

>> > Perhaps I got a bit carried away but the possibility that honey bees
>> > and
>> > ants have a conscious will does not seem to me like something we
>> > can dismiss out of hand. It's a subject I find interesting and I will
>> > look
>> > at it more closely. Right now I am not qualified to argue the case.

>> The salient point here is that "sentience" is a misapplied term by ARAs,
>> and
>> they use this misapplication to exclude themselves from guilt for
>> complicity
>> in a whole myriad of potential animal suffering associated with their
>> consumer lifestyles. This enables them to keep applying the focus where
>> they
>> believe it properly belongs, on those evil and misguided meat-eaters.

> One of the things I'm not yet up to speed on is the distinctions
> between
> terms like "sentience", "consciousness" and all the other similar terms
> that have very specific meanings in discussions like this.

Sentience correctly means "feeling", ' 1: state of elementary or
undifferentiated consciousness;" which means it applies to slugs, newts and
insects. Sloppily used to apply to higher functions like emotions, reasoning
powers or even self-consciouness. Higher animals like dogs and mice have
consciousness, differentiated awareness, and emotional states. Humans see
themselves as individual beings distinct from their environment.

>> Meaning he was challenged on ants so he tried using mosquitos as his
>> example, a typical pro-ARA argument tactic.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan

"Dave" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> rick wrote:
>> "Dave" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...

>> snip...

>> > I said most animals, not most cattle. Most pigs and poultry
>> > spend their lives indoors. Most cattle spend part of their
>> > lives grazing and part being fed in feedlots.

>> ===================
>> I guess I'd better go out back and let the chickens know that
>> they aren't really running around, huh?

> I said *most* chickens, not *all* chickens. You need
> comprehension
> 101.

===================
No, you need logic 101. Like cevagns, you want to lump meat as
meat, period. It's all bad...

>> > I didn't say I admired them for making correct choices. I
>> > said
>> > admired them for considering factors other than their bank
>> > balances
>> > and taste preferences. OK?

>> =========================
>> Which still means that there is not automatically something to
>> admire. What part of making choices without doing any
>> research
>> makes you think that they are makling any kind of difference.
>> Good intentions don't mean squat.

> I beg to differ.

==================
Why? Intentions not to kill a cow, but killing 100s of mice
instead don't mean squat, dave.

>> > I didn't. I'm not required to defend claims I didn't make.
>> > ===================

>> Talk the talk, walk the walk...

> You can't reasonably expect me to defend claims I didn't make.

>> > False. They are avoiding certain products to avoid
>> > complicity in associated animal abuses.

>> ==========================
>> That does not prove anything dave. The meat they were eating
>> may
>> have caused very little death and suffering to animals
>> compared
>> to the foods thay replaced it with.

> That's not the point. The point is they are avoiding the foods
> they
> believe to be unethical.

===============================
No, dave, they are not. That's the point. They claim to avoid
meats because the the supposed unethical deaths involved, yet
have no qualms about the deaths their food causes. Since their
food causes death and suffering, they aren't avoiding 'unethical'
foods at all, now are they?

>> Is it really so hard for you
>> to admit that vegan isn't an automatic pass into heaven?

> Not at all.

>> > It proves they don't care enough to go and live in a commune
>> > like dancing rabbit but it doesn't prove they don't care at
>> > all.

>> ======================
>> It proves that all their talk of rights is pure bulls**t.
>>

>> > As I said when you don't care at all it is easy to sit there
>> > mocking people who do for not doing enough to prove it.

>> ==============================
>> LOL Unlike most vegans here, I do more than they to
>> contribute
>> to less animals death and suffering.

> Somehow I doubt that.

===============
Why? Because I'm really informed, and all they have is a simple
rule for their simple minds? Like rumperroom, they all continue
to eat exotic, imported fruits, spices, and veggies. Not a
thought is given as to the impact those foods cause on animals
and the environemnt. The entirity of their foods is based on the
petro-chemical industry. Look up bananas. They are so modified
now that there is talk of them disappearing as we know them.
They require massive amounts of pesticides to grow.

>> The problem is, I don't run
>> around crowing that I'm some animal savior like vegans do.

>> > I have read what they write. I have not come across one
>> > comment
>> > by any regular poster here that demonstrates hatred for
>> > people
>> > per se.

>> ==================
>> Comprehension problems huh?

> I read what the actual vegans write, not your straw ones.
> ===========================

Then you don't read for comprehension, like I said.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan

Leif Erikson wrote:
> wrote:

> > > Animals don't have *any* rights.

> > Well, I don't agree.

> Yeah, all you have is your emotional inclination.

No, it's a conclusion I've come to based on argument. You didn't
provide any argument so I didn't either. If you like, have a look at
Chapters 2 and 9 of DeGrazia's "Taking Animals Seriously" and tell me
what you think of the arguments.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan

pearl wrote:
> "Dave" > wrote in message oups.com...
>
> Pearl wrote:
>
> > 'Two years ago, he and Mr. Worm used the same
> > data to show that commercial fishing had depleted
> > the world's oceans of 90 per cent of the overall
> > abundance of big fish that flourished 50 years ago.

> Commercial methods of fishing are disruptive of the marine
> environment generally and result in significant
> quantities of bycatch which is thrown back to sea dead.
> Big fish at the top of the marine food chain are especially
> vulnerable to overfishing because they don't mature
> as fast or reproduce as rapidly as smaller fish.
>
> > ....'
> > http://www.seaotters.org/CurrentIssu....cfm?DocID=279
> >
> > At 1 fish a week for 6 billion people.., that's 6 billion fish
> > handlined per week.

> In perspective:
> "The area of the World Ocean is 361 million km², its volume is
> 1370 million km³, and its average depth is 3790 m."
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean
>
> World population = 6.5 bn
> At 1 fish per person that's 18 fish for every sqaure km of ocean
> albeit distributed somewhat unevenly.
>
> > 24 billion every month. Where are
> > these massive numbers of fish Dave proposes handlining?

> I wasn't aware that I was proposing any specific quota size.
> I suggested that we fish the seas within their biological limits,
> whatever they might be.
>
> --
>
> 'Two years ago, he and Mr. Worm used the same
> data to show that commercial fishing had depleted
> the world's oceans of 90 per cent of the overall
> abundance of big fish that flourished 50 years ago.
>
> 100% fish abundance is the naturally-occuring level.
>
> To continue to fish is like saying, "well we've taken
> eight fingers and a thumb, you won't mind if we
> continue nibbling away at your remaining digit."
>
> We don't need to eat fish.

Whatever you think about the morality of using fish as
a source of food you can not reasonably deny that we
can establish a stable predator-prey relationship

-- Another example of humans adopting the wrong
dietary niche causing major and severe imbalance.--

within
the marine enviornment provided we don't overfish or
fish using inappropriate technologies. 90 per cent
reduction in 50 years is a damning inditement of
the way we are treating the marine ecosystem at
present but you must also bear in mind that he is
specifically referring to "big" fish and I have already
explained that the big fish are the ones most vulnerable
to overfishing.

--
See http://www.fisherycrisis.com/DFO/commons.htm .

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan

Dave wrote:
> The figures I'm using here are basically the first ones I came across.
> If
> anyone wants to offer more reliable figures feel free but the nature of
> these
> types of calculations means that I shall be making major approximations
> in any case so no point in splitting hairs over the data.
>
> "A beef steer gives us 459 pounds of beef to eat"
> http://www.agr.state.nc.us/agscool/c...es/beefkid.htm
> Note that the steers being discussed are fattened on
> grain for the last three to four months of his life. I don't know
> whether cattle fattened on grass alone can be expected to
> reach similar weights.
>
> One acre of corn can produce about 211 pounds of usable protein
> http://www.ciwf.org.uk/publications/...ts_summary.pdf
>
> Nutrition data for beef
> http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...ofile&dbid=141
> Data is for tenderloin. Obviously the whole carcass is not homogonous.
>
> Nutrition data for corn
> http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...rofile&dbid=65
>
> Conversion from lbs to grams
> http://www.metric-conversions.org/we...-kilograms.htm
>
> 459 lbs beef = 208 kg provides 208,000 * 240.41/113.4 = 440964 calories
>
> one acre of corn provides 211 lbs = 95.7 kg protein.
> For every g of protein corn provides 177.12/5.44 = 32.56 calories
> *95,700 = 3 115 879 calories
>
> calories per acre of corn / calories per steer = ~7.
>
> No. of cattle killed in above equation = 1.
> Decline in woodmouse population per hectare of cereal production
> according to study by Mcdonald and Tew = 20
> Decline per acre = ~8.
> % decline due to mortality unknown.
> Analysis only looks at one species and one part of the process.
> Slaughter in the case of beef, harvesting in the case of corn.

This assumes that pasture-ruminant production involves no collateral
deaths. Davis didn't find this assumption realistic.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan

"Dave" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> rick wrote:
>> "Dave" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...

>> > Who grows the rice? Where is it grown? How is it grown?
>> >
>> > Potatoes? Bananas?
>> >
>> > Who grows the bananas? where are they grown? How are they
>> > grown. You are being too simplistic. Just as not all beef is
>> > the
>> > same, the same is true of rice, bananas, apples and
>> > potatoes.

>> =====================
>> Except for bananas you're right.

> Why "except bananas"?

=======================
Because all bananas on the market are exactly the same. Exactly.
They are not a seed crop. They are all produced from an original
plant. They are all clones, genetically the same.

>> that's the point. Vegans look
>> only at one typr of meat production and declare all meat bad,
>> yet
>> NEVER compare their own foods. Thanks for pointing out my
>> statement.

> You're welcome. I've consistently argued that we should not tar
> all meat with the same brush.

====================
Then why assume all veggies are better?

>> > For you to be so confident about that you would have to know
>> > about
>> > some research that has been done on the matter. Please share
>> > it
>> > with us.

>> ===============================
>> I have.

> So you say.
>
>> Vegans always ignore it, like you and rumperroom....

> When you shared research that compared apples, bananas, rice
> and potatoes, I must have missed it. Please share it again.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan

"Dave" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> rick wrote:
>> "Dave" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > The figures I'm using here are basically the first ones I
>> > came
>> > across.
>> > If
>> > anyone wants to offer more reliable figures feel free but
>> > the
>> > nature of
>> > these
>> > types of calculations means that I shall be making major
>> > approximations
>> > in any case so no point in splitting hairs over the data.
>> >
>> > "A beef steer gives us 459 pounds of beef to eat"
>> > http://www.agr.state.nc.us/agscool/c...es/beefkid.htm
>> > Note that the steers being discussed are fattened on
>> > grain for the last three to four months of his life. I don't
>> > know
>> > whether cattle fattened on grass alone can be expected to
>> > reach similar weights.

>> ===============================
>> Why not? I've bought halves almost that size.
>>
>> Here's a note from that icon of radical right-wing agenda,
>> Mother
>> Earth News. ;-)
>> "...Your extra year of pasturing can be expected to produce-on
>> the average -at least 200 pounds more beef than would be found
>> on
>> an equivalent feed-lot raised steer . . . and maybe as much as
>> 600 pounds more!..."
>> http://www.motherearthnews.com/menar...063-110-01.htm

> Well I must admit I'm suprised by what I have just learnt.
> Presumably
> this
> is because grass fed steers are older?

======================
Most are given an extra years growth. Some, like the one I
mentioned somehow 'hid' during the picking process one year and
went into the next, and was 2 years older than normal. Quite
fat, quite tasty.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan

"Dutch" > wrote in message

> "Dave" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>
>> rick wrote:
>>> "Dave" > wrote in message
>>> oups.com...
>>>

>>> snip...
>>>
>>> eat meat, and that wasn't much impact at all.

>>> =======================
>>> And, he is as wrong as you are. Buying grass-fed beef is not
>>> an
>>> additional amount of beef on the market. That's what it
>>> would
>>> have to be to have no impact on normal beef processing.

> You have it exactly backwards rick.

================
No, I don't. Because the product is the same. There is no new
product, just a new technique.

If it represented a *new* market, *then*
> it would have no impact on the existing meat market, but since
> it is taking customers *away from* traditional suppliers, it is
> in that respect *exactly* like when people go vegetarian, it
> causes the demand for that product to shrink and the demand for
> others to grow.
>

>>> Grass-fed beef is a *replacement* of the normal beef industry
>>> product. It is a large and growing portion of the beef
>>> supply.
>>> It IS an impact on the type of production that vegans decry,
>>> but
>>> do not have any say in since they have dropped out!

>> Go play with someone else. I gave up on you long ago.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan

rick wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...

> >> ups.com...
> >> >

> >> snip...

> >> I read what you write. If you mean something else, I'm not a
> >> mindreader...
> >>

> > Yes, you read what I write but you don't understand it, despite
> > my
> > repeatedly explaining it to you in plain English. I suggest you
> > just
> > give up.
> > ===================================

> I suggest you learn some logic. Analogies are really really hard
> for you, aren't they? Must be part of that simple mind thing,
> huh?
>

> >> snip...

> >> ===========================
> >> Stop eating bananas. Stop eating rice. Now, like I said, if
> >> you really cared about animals you would have looked at your
> >> own
> >> foods, and not focused on what others eat for demonization...
> >>

> > I did try to find out about the foods I eat. If demonization is
> > bad,
> > stop doing it. You are the one doing it, not me.

> ==========================
> No, you did not do any serious research. You prove that by
> continuing to eat bananas.

As I say, I made a good faith attempt to find out about the harm caused
by the foods I eat. Obviously I would know whether this is the case and
you wouldn't.

> snip...

> >> ==========================
> >> It was a ly then, huh?
> >>

> > No, I think I have good reason to believe a vegan diet is
> > better than a
> > typical Western diet.

> =======================
> Then show your proof. You cannot.

I argued this point elsewhere.

> I think there are vegan diets
> that would even be worse than this so-called typical diet you
> spew about. You do realize don't you, that in the 'typical'
> american diet meat is NOT the major food group? We eat almost as
> many pounds of potatoes as meat. Fruits and veggies far out
> number meat.

> >> ========================
> >> Then you haven't done enough research.
> >>

> > So I'll do some more. You will be of absolutely no use to me in
> > this
> > project, because all you can do is make the unfounded claim
> > that I
> > don't care.
> > ======================================

> They are not unfounded. You prove them with each inane post.

They are unfounded. But, assuming for the sake of argument that they're
not, why is it of any interest to you whether I care about animals or
not? If I don't care about animals, then what's the point of this
conversation?

> >> =====================
> >> I've given you ideas, you continue to ignore tham...
> >>

> > Really? I must have missed them. Run them by me again.

> ========================
> Vegans always do...
>

> >> You talk about how I am trying to demonize others, in fact
> >> =======================
> >> LOL Why? Because you don't like being caught in your lys?
> >>

> > You have not caught me in any lies. You don't have to shut up
> > if you
> > don't want to, but I can't for the life of me imagine what you
> > think
> > the purpose of this conversation is. You're not prepared to
> > substantiate any of your claims. You're not prepared to point
> > me to any
> > useful research. You're not prepared to make any constructive
> > suggestions for how I can do better. All you're doing is
> > engaging in
> > abuse and unfounded accusations. Don't you ever get bored?
> > ===================================

> I have made suggestions. You have refused to accept anything
> that means your simple rule is not paramount, killer.

What were the suggestions? Stop eating bananas and rice? I'll consider
doing that. I'll try to investigate whether it would really be an
improvement.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Leif Erikson wrote:
>> wrote:

>> > Well, I don't agree.

>> Yeah, all you have is your emotional inclination.

> No, it's a conclusion I've come to based on argument. You
> didn't
> provide any argument so I didn't either. If you like, have a
> look at
> Chapters 2 and 9 of DeGrazia's "Taking Animals Seriously" and
> tell me
> what you think of the arguments.

======================
The arguments prove that animals don't have rights...

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan

rick wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...

> >> Yeah, all you have is your emotional inclination.

> > No, it's a conclusion I've come to based on argument. You
> > didn't
> > provide any argument so I didn't either. If you like, have a
> > look at
> > Chapters 2 and 9 of DeGrazia's "Taking Animals Seriously" and
> > tell me
> > what you think of the arguments.

> ======================
> The arguments prove that animals don't have rights...

Have you read them, have you? Why do you think that?

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan

> wrote
>
> Dave wrote:
>> The figures I'm using here are basically the first ones I came across.
>> If
>> anyone wants to offer more reliable figures feel free but the nature of
>> these
>> types of calculations means that I shall be making major approximations
>> in any case so no point in splitting hairs over the data.
>>
>> "A beef steer gives us 459 pounds of beef to eat"
>> http://www.agr.state.nc.us/agscool/c...es/beefkid.htm
>> Note that the steers being discussed are fattened on
>> grain for the last three to four months of his life. I don't know
>> whether cattle fattened on grass alone can be expected to
>> reach similar weights.
>>
>> One acre of corn can produce about 211 pounds of usable protein
>> http://www.ciwf.org.uk/publications/...ts_summary.pdf
>>
>> Nutrition data for beef
>> http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...ofile&dbid=141
>> Data is for tenderloin. Obviously the whole carcass is not homogonous.
>>
>> Nutrition data for corn
>> http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...rofile&dbid=65
>>
>> Conversion from lbs to grams
>> http://www.metric-conversions.org/we...-kilograms.htm
>>
>> 459 lbs beef = 208 kg provides 208,000 * 240.41/113.4 = 440964 calories
>>
>> one acre of corn provides 211 lbs = 95.7 kg protein.
>> For every g of protein corn provides 177.12/5.44 = 32.56 calories
>> *95,700 = 3 115 879 calories
>>
>> calories per acre of corn / calories per steer = ~7.

Cattle consume a much greater proportion of corn than humans do, i.e., the
entire plant, not only the kernels, and convert it all into bodyweight gain
(consumable food). That is not figured into that equation.

>> No. of cattle killed in above equation = 1.
>> Decline in woodmouse population per hectare of cereal production
>> according to study by Mcdonald and Tew = 20
>> Decline per acre = ~8.
>> % decline due to mortality unknown.
>> Analysis only looks at one species and one part of the process.
>> Slaughter in the case of beef, harvesting in the case of corn.

> This assumes that pasture-ruminant production involves no collateral
> deaths. Davis didn't find this assumption realistic.

Grass is a very low-impact crop. Also, there is so much waste and byproduct
feed used for livestock that the industry could conceivably survive with
*no* dedicated crops, particularly cattle..

The essential point being made is that there *are* reasonably close
comparisons to be made between vegan and non-vegan foods wrt animal impact,
which is a far cry from the typical unreal impression vegans present, which
is animal products are immoral death-foods and vegan foods are manna from
heaven.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan

"rick" > wrote in message
news

> "Dutch" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Dave" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>> You have it exactly backwards rick.

> ================
> No, I don't. Because the product is the same. There is no new product,
> just a new technique.

That "new technique" *is* a new product. The beef is produced differently,
usually by different producers, it tastes different, uses different inputs,
and costs more. Economically it has the exact same effect on producers of
the old product as if those consumers had become vegans, it takes market
share away from the old-style producers. The only difference is that vegans
do not "support" the new product, which makes no difference to the old
producers.

> If it represented a *new* market, *then*
>> it would have no impact on the existing meat market, but since it is
>> taking customers *away from* traditional suppliers, it is in that respect
>> *exactly* like when people go vegetarian, it causes the demand for that
>> product to shrink and the demand for others to grow.

>>> Go play with someone else. I gave up on you long ago.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan

> wrote
>
> rick wrote:

>> ======================
>> The arguments prove that animals don't have rights...
>>

> Have you read them, have you? Why do you think that?

It all hinges on your definition of "rights".

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan

Dutch wrote:

> > wrote
>
>>Dave wrote:
>>
>>>The figures I'm using here are basically the first ones I came across.
>>>If
>>>anyone wants to offer more reliable figures feel free but the nature of
>>>these
>>>types of calculations means that I shall be making major approximations
>>>in any case so no point in splitting hairs over the data.
>>>
>>>"A beef steer gives us 459 pounds of beef to eat"
>>>http://www.agr.state.nc.us/agscool/c...es/beefkid.htm
>>>Note that the steers being discussed are fattened on
>>>grain for the last three to four months of his life. I don't know
>>>whether cattle fattened on grass alone can be expected to
>>>reach similar weights.
>>>
>>>One acre of corn can produce about 211 pounds of usable protein
>>>http://www.ciwf.org.uk/publications/...ts_summary.pdf
>>>
>>>Nutrition data for beef
>>>http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...ofile&dbid=141
>>>Data is for tenderloin. Obviously the whole carcass is not homogonous.
>>>
>>>Nutrition data for corn
>>>http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...rofile&dbid=65
>>>
>>>Conversion from lbs to grams
>>>http://www.metric-conversions.org/we...-kilograms.htm
>>>
>>>459 lbs beef = 208 kg provides 208,000 * 240.41/113.4 = 440964 calories
>>>
>>>one acre of corn provides 211 lbs = 95.7 kg protein.
>>>For every g of protein corn provides 177.12/5.44 = 32.56 calories
>>>*95,700 = 3 115 879 calories
>>>
>>>calories per acre of corn / calories per steer = ~7.

> Cattle consume a much greater proportion of corn than humans do, i.e., the
> entire plant, not only the kernels, and convert it all into bodyweight gain
> (consumable food). That is not figured into that equation.

Well, they don't convert it *all* into body weight
gain. Quite a lot of it is burned off. Quite a lot as
well exits from the other end of the steers and cows.

****wit David Harrison goes out into the fields and
collects his breakfast from the second part.

>>>No. of cattle killed in above equation = 1.
>>>Decline in woodmouse population per hectare of cereal production
>>>according to study by Mcdonald and Tew = 20
>>>Decline per acre = ~8.
>>>% decline due to mortality unknown.
>>>Analysis only looks at one species and one part of the process.
>>>Slaughter in the case of beef, harvesting in the case of corn.

>>This assumes that pasture-ruminant production involves no collateral
>>deaths. Davis didn't find this assumption realistic.

> Grass is a very low-impact crop. Also, there is so much waste and byproduct
> feed used for livestock that the industry could conceivably survive with
> *no* dedicated crops, particularly cattle..
>
> The essential point being made is that there *are* reasonably close
> comparisons to be made between vegan and non-vegan foods wrt animal impact,
> which is a far cry from the typical unreal impression vegans present, which
> is animal products are immoral death-foods and vegan foods are manna from
> heaven.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan

As always, everyone completely ****s up the "numbers
game". Meat eaters try to show that it's possible, if
one stands on a chair and loops his left leg behind his
neck and over his right shoulder, to have a
meat-including diet that "beats" a strictly-vegetarian
diet in terms of total deaths. So-called "ethical"
vegetarians make far too much - out of nothing - of the
fact that a typical "vegan" diet "beats" the typical
meat-including diet.

Both views miss the point. THE point - the ONLY point
- is that so-called "ethical" vegetarianism *demands*
that its adherents engage in a relentless, active,
aggressive, comprehensive effort to avoid killing *ANY*
animals, whether directly or collaterally, and NO
"vegan" does that.

Once again, the "numbers game", this ****witted,
comparative-virtue (and thus invalid) exercise, yields
completely perverse results. If one can claim virtue
merely by doing less of some bad thing than someone
else, then, if the "someone else's" total goes up,
one's own total can also go up, but as long as it
remains lower than the "someone else's", the ****wit
playing the numbers game can claim to be more virtuous.
That clearly is a perverse result. If meat-eater
Rick's total deaths rise from 200 per year to 400, and
sanctimonious self-marginalizing lying lowbrow "vegan"
Karen's total deaths rise from 100 to 300 per year, she
still is doing "better" in absolute numbers than Rick,
even though her total has *TRIPLED* while his has only
doubled; but it is plainly absurd for her to claim to
be "more virtuous" than Rick merely because she causes
fewer total deaths.

The "numbers game" is meaningless in terms of "proving"
the virtue of "veganism". As long as

a) "vegans'" death toll is non-zero, and
b) "vegans" aren't actively, relentlessly,
aggressively
trying to get their toll to zero - and *NONE*
of them are

then the collateral deaths issue simply vitiates the
"vegan" claim to virtue.

It is that simple.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan

pearl wrote:
> http://www.news.cornell.edu/releases...stock.hrs.html

Hmm, these seem like meat costs five times less to transport than
grains, by heft. Remember that the sun pays for feed, for free.

> 272,000,000 x 7.5 = 2,040,000,000 animals dying in pasture.

> over twice as much land is harvested for livestock, ergo
> over twice as many collateral deaths than for food crops.

dying how??

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan

"Autymn D. C." > wrote in message oups.com...
> pearl wrote:
> > http://www.news.cornell.edu/releases...stock.hrs.html

> Hmm, these seem like meat costs five times less to transport than
> grains, by heft. Remember that the sun pays for feed, for free.

???

> > 272,000,000 x 7.5 = 2,040,000,000 animals dying in pasture.

> > over twice as much land is harvested for livestock, ergo
> > over twice as many collateral deaths than for food crops.

> dying how??

Sowing, spraying, harvesting- every pass of the machinery.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan

Dutch wrote:
> > wrote
> >
> > Dave wrote:
> >> The figures I'm using here are basically the first ones I came across.
> >> If
> >> anyone wants to offer more reliable figures feel free but the nature of
> >> these
> >> types of calculations means that I shall be making major approximations
> >> in any case so no point in splitting hairs over the data.
> >>
> >> "A beef steer gives us 459 pounds of beef to eat"
> >> http://www.agr.state.nc.us/agscool/c...es/beefkid.htm
> >> Note that the steers being discussed are fattened on
> >> grain for the last three to four months of his life. I don't know
> >> whether cattle fattened on grass alone can be expected to
> >> reach similar weights.
> >>
> >> One acre of corn can produce about 211 pounds of usable protein
> >> http://www.ciwf.org.uk/publications/...ts_summary.pdf
> >>
> >> Nutrition data for beef
> >> http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...ofile&dbid=141
> >> Data is for tenderloin. Obviously the whole carcass is not homogonous.
> >>
> >> Nutrition data for corn
> >> http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...rofile&dbid=65
> >>
> >> Conversion from lbs to grams
> >> http://www.metric-conversions.org/we...-kilograms.htm
> >>
> >> 459 lbs beef = 208 kg provides 208,000 * 240.41/113.4 = 440964 calories
> >>
> >> one acre of corn provides 211 lbs = 95.7 kg protein.
> >> For every g of protein corn provides 177.12/5.44 = 32.56 calories
> >> *95,700 = 3 115 879 calories
> >>
> >> calories per acre of corn / calories per steer = ~7.

> Cattle consume a much greater proportion of corn than humans do, i.e., the
> entire plant, not only the kernels, and convert it all into bodyweight gain
> (consumable food).

"For example a vested interests organisation such as the US National
Cattleman's Beef Association has claimed that it takes only 4.5 kg of
grain
to produce 1 kg of beef raised intensively in a US feedlot. On the
other hand,
the US Department of Agricultural Economic Research Service puts the
figure at 16kg to produce 1kg of beef."
http://www.ciwf.org.uk/publications/..._Less_Meat.pdf
page 22 References given for both these figures.

>That is not figured into that equation.

It isn't relevant to the comparison between an acre of corn and one
grass fed steer.

> >> No. of cattle killed in above equation = 1.
> >> Decline in woodmouse population per hectare of cereal production
> >> according to study by Mcdonald and Tew = 20
> >> Decline per acre = ~8.
> >> % decline due to mortality unknown.
> >> Analysis only looks at one species and one part of the process.
> >> Slaughter in the case of beef, harvesting in the case of corn.

> > This assumes that pasture-ruminant production involves no collateral
> > deaths. Davis didn't find this assumption realistic.

> Grass is a very low-impact crop. Also, there is so much waste and byproduct
> feed used for livestock that the industry could conceivably survive with
> *no* dedicated crops, particularly cattle..

"Could concievably" is not the same as "actually does".

> The essential point being made is that there *are* reasonably close
> comparisons to be made between vegan and non-vegan foods wrt animal impact,
> which is a far cry from the typical unreal impression vegans present, which
> is animal products are immoral death-foods and vegan foods are manna from
> heaven.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan

Leif Erikson wrote:
> As always, everyone completely ****s up the "numbers
> game". Meat eaters try to show that it's possible, if
> one stands on a chair and loops his left leg behind his
> neck and over his right shoulder, to have a
> meat-including diet that "beats" a strictly-vegetarian
> diet in terms of total deaths. So-called "ethical"
> vegetarians make far too much - out of nothing - of the
> fact that a typical "vegan" diet "beats" the typical
> meat-including diet.
>
> Both views miss the point. THE point - the ONLY point
> - is that so-called "ethical" vegetarianism *demands*
> that its adherents engage in a relentless, active,
> aggressive, comprehensive effort to avoid killing *ANY*
> animals, whether directly or collaterally, and NO
> "vegan" does that.
>
> Once again, the "numbers game", this ****witted,
> comparative-virtue (and thus invalid) exercise, yields
> completely perverse results. If one can claim virtue
> merely by doing less of some bad thing than someone
> else, then, if the "someone else's" total goes up,
> one's own total can also go up, but as long as it
> remains lower than the "someone else's", the ****wit
> playing the numbers game can claim to be more virtuous.
> That clearly is a perverse result. If meat-eater
> Rick's total deaths rise from 200 per year to 400, and
> sanctimonious self-marginalizing lying lowbrow "vegan"
> Karen's total deaths rise from 100 to 300 per year, she
> still is doing "better" in absolute numbers than Rick,
> even though her total has *TRIPLED* while his has only
> doubled; but it is plainly absurd for her to claim to
> be "more virtuous" than Rick merely because she causes
> fewer total deaths.

I would not be absurd because she would be using virtue
as a relative term. It would be absurd for her to claim to
set herself up as a paragon of virtue by her own standards
unless she is actively, relentlessly, aggressively trying to
get her toll as close to zero as possible.

It would also be absurd for you to attack her for doing
something to reduce her toll just because she could be
doing even more.

> The "numbers game" is meaningless in terms of "proving"
> the virtue of "veganism". As long as
>
> a) "vegans'" death toll is non-zero, and
> b) "vegans" aren't actively, relentlessly,
> aggressively
> trying to get their toll to zero - and *NONE*
> of them are
>
> then the collateral deaths issue simply vitiates the
> "vegan" claim to virtue.
>
> It is that simple.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan

wrote:
> Dave wrote:
> > The figures I'm using here are basically the first ones I came across.
> > If
> > anyone wants to offer more reliable figures feel free but the nature of
> > these
> > types of calculations means that I shall be making major approximations
> > in any case so no point in splitting hairs over the data.
> >
> > "A beef steer gives us 459 pounds of beef to eat"

http://www.agr.state.nc.us/agscool/c...es/beefkid.htm
> > Note that the steers being discussed are fattened on
> > grain for the last three to four months of his life. I don't know
> > whether cattle fattened on grass alone can be expected to
> > reach similar weights.
> >
> > One acre of corn can produce about 211 pounds of usable protein
> > http://www.ciwf.org.uk/publications/...ts_summary.pdf
> >
> > Nutrition data for beef
> > http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...ofile&dbid=141
> > Data is for tenderloin. Obviously the whole carcass is not homogonous.
> >
> > Nutrition data for corn
> > http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...rofile&dbid=65
> >
> > Conversion from lbs to grams
> > http://www.metric-conversions.org/we...-kilograms.htm
> >
> > 459 lbs beef = 208 kg provides 208,000 * 240.41/113.4 = 440964 calories
> >
> > one acre of corn provides 211 lbs = 95.7 kg protein.
> > For every g of protein corn provides 177.12/5.44 = 32.56 calories
> > *95,700 = 3 115 879 calories
> >
> > calories per acre of corn / calories per steer = ~7.
> >
> > No. of cattle killed in above equation = 1.
> > Decline in woodmouse population per hectare of cereal production
> > according to study by Mcdonald and Tew = 20
> > Decline per acre = ~8.
> > % decline due to mortality unknown.
> > Analysis only looks at one species and one part of the process.
> > Slaughter in the case of beef, harvesting in the case of corn.

> This assumes that pasture-ruminant production involves no collateral
> deaths. Davis didn't find this assumption realistic.

I must confess I misread the original thinking that the 7.5 animals
per hectare was total deaths. If the number of deaths per hectare of
pasture raised cattle is half that of crop production then the death
count is no contest - beef kills more. The only question that remains
is whether this ratio is realistic.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan

Dave wrote:
> Leif Erikson wrote:
> > As always, everyone completely ****s up the "numbers
> > game". Meat eaters try to show that it's possible, if
> > one stands on a chair and loops his left leg behind his
> > neck and over his right shoulder, to have a
> > meat-including diet that "beats" a strictly-vegetarian
> > diet in terms of total deaths. So-called "ethical"
> > vegetarians make far too much - out of nothing - of the
> > fact that a typical "vegan" diet "beats" the typical
> > meat-including diet.
> >
> > Both views miss the point. THE point - the ONLY point
> > - is that so-called "ethical" vegetarianism *demands*
> > that its adherents engage in a relentless, active,
> > aggressive, comprehensive effort to avoid killing *ANY*
> > animals, whether directly or collaterally, and NO
> > "vegan" does that.
> >
> > Once again, the "numbers game", this ****witted,
> > comparative-virtue (and thus invalid) exercise, yields
> > completely perverse results. If one can claim virtue
> > merely by doing less of some bad thing than someone
> > else, then, if the "someone else's" total goes up,
> > one's own total can also go up, but as long as it
> > remains lower than the "someone else's", the ****wit
> > playing the numbers game can claim to be more virtuous.
> > That clearly is a perverse result. If meat-eater
> > Rick's total deaths rise from 200 per year to 400, and
> > sanctimonious self-marginalizing lying lowbrow "vegan"
> > Karen's total deaths rise from 100 to 300 per year, she
> > still is doing "better" in absolute numbers than Rick,
> > even though her total has *TRIPLED* while his has only
> > doubled; but it is plainly absurd for her to claim to
> > be "more virtuous" than Rick merely because she causes
> > fewer total deaths.

> I would not be absurd because she would be using virtue
> as a relative term.

When it is, by definition, NOT one. Virtue is *never* measured by
comparison to someone else, but rather by your adherence to an
objective standard.

You, davie, **** the eight-year-old boy living next door to you up the
ass six times a week. Your filthy brother ****s another small boy up
the ass a dozen times a week. Are you more virtuous than your filthy
brother? Neither of you is virtuous AT ALL.

Virtue *never* is determined by a comparison with others. That's just
how it is, davie.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan

pearl wrote:
> "Dave" > wrote in message oups.com...
>
> pearl wrote:
> > "Dave" > wrote in message oups.com...
> >
> > Pearl wrote:
> >
> > > 'Two years ago, he and Mr. Worm used the same
> > > data to show that commercial fishing had depleted
> > > the world's oceans of 90 per cent of the overall
> > > abundance of big fish that flourished 50 years ago.

> > Commercial methods of fishing are disruptive of the marine
> > environment generally and result in significant
> > quantities of bycatch which is thrown back to sea dead.
> > Big fish at the top of the marine food chain are especially
> > vulnerable to overfishing because they don't mature
> > as fast or reproduce as rapidly as smaller fish.
> >
> > > ....'
> > > http://www.seaotters.org/CurrentIssu....cfm?DocID=279
> > >
> > > At 1 fish a week for 6 billion people.., that's 6 billion fish
> > > handlined per week.

> > In perspective:
> > "The area of the World Ocean is 361 million km², its volume is
> > 1370 million km³, and its average depth is 3790 m."
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean
> >
> > World population = 6.5 bn
> > At 1 fish per person that's 18 fish for every sqaure km of ocean
> > albeit distributed somewhat unevenly.
> >
> > > 24 billion every month. Where are
> > > these massive numbers of fish Dave proposes handlining?

> > I wasn't aware that I was proposing any specific quota size.
> > I suggested that we fish the seas within their biological limits,
> > whatever they might be.
> >
> > --
> >
> > 'Two years ago, he and Mr. Worm used the same
> > data to show that commercial fishing had depleted
> > the world's oceans of 90 per cent of the overall
> > abundance of big fish that flourished 50 years ago.
> >
> > 100% fish abundance is the naturally-occuring level.
> >
> > To continue to fish is like saying, "well we've taken
> > eight fingers and a thumb, you won't mind if we
> > continue nibbling away at your remaining digit."
> >
> > We don't need to eat fish.

> Whatever you think about the morality of using fish as
> a source of food you can not reasonably deny that we
> can establish a stable predator-prey relationship
>
> -- Another example of humans adopting the wrong
> dietary niche causing major and severe imbalance.--

Not at all. There is no ecological problem with fish
eating per se, just killing fish faster than they can
reproduce. There are responsible fisheries that
moniter their impact on the marine environment.
For more details see http://www.fishonline.org/

> within
> the marine enviornment provided we don't overfish or
> fish using inappropriate technologies. 90 per cent
> reduction in 50 years is a damning inditement of
> the way we are treating the marine ecosystem at
> present but you must also bear in mind that he is
> specifically referring to "big" fish and I have already
> explained that the big fish are the ones most vulnerable
> to overfishing.
>
> --
> See http://www.fisherycrisis.com/DFO/commons.htm .
> --

What point does that article make on your behalf. It is not
small handline fisheries that are responsible for any of the
major problems in the marine ecosystem.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan

pearl wrote:
> "Dave" > wrote in message oups.com...
>
> pearl wrote:
> > "Dave" > wrote in message oups.com...
> >
> > Pearl wrote:
> >
> > > 'Two years ago, he and Mr. Worm used the same
> > > data to show that commercial fishing had depleted
> > > the world's oceans of 90 per cent of the overall
> > > abundance of big fish that flourished 50 years ago.

> > Commercial methods of fishing are disruptive of the marine
> > environment generally and result in significant
> > quantities of bycatch which is thrown back to sea dead.
> > Big fish at the top of the marine food chain are especially
> > vulnerable to overfishing because they don't mature
> > as fast or reproduce as rapidly as smaller fish.
> >
> > > ....'
> > > http://www.seaotters.org/CurrentIssu....cfm?DocID=279
> > >
> > > At 1 fish a week for 6 billion people.., that's 6 billion fish
> > > handlined per week.

> > In perspective:
> > "The area of the World Ocean is 361 million km², its volume is
> > 1370 million km³, and its average depth is 3790 m."
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean
> >
> > World population = 6.5 bn
> > At 1 fish per person that's 18 fish for every sqaure km of ocean
> > albeit distributed somewhat unevenly.
> >
> > > 24 billion every month. Where are
> > > these massive numbers of fish Dave proposes handlining?

> > I wasn't aware that I was proposing any specific quota size.
> > I suggested that we fish the seas within their biological limits,
> > whatever they might be.
> >
> > --
> >
> > 'Two years ago, he and Mr. Worm used the same
> > data to show that commercial fishing had depleted
> > the world's oceans of 90 per cent of the overall
> > abundance of big fish that flourished 50 years ago.
> >
> > 100% fish abundance is the naturally-occuring level.
> >
> > To continue to fish is like saying, "well we've taken
> > eight fingers and a thumb, you won't mind if we
> > continue nibbling away at your remaining digit."
> >
> > We don't need to eat fish.

> Whatever you think about the morality of using fish as
> a source of food you can not reasonably deny that we
> can establish a stable predator-prey relationship
>
> -- Another example of humans adopting the wrong
> dietary niche causing major and severe imbalance.--

Not at all.

--
Absolutely the case. Not just a recent problem either.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...ecollapse.html

There is no ecological problem with fish
eating per se, just killing fish faster than they can
reproduce. There are responsible fisheries that
moniter their impact on the marine environment.
For more details see http://www.fishonline.org/

--
The usual list of the few species "which MCS believes
are fished within sustainable levels". (Doesn't the 'believes'

> within
> the marine enviornment provided we don't overfish or
> fish using inappropriate technologies. 90 per cent
> reduction in 50 years is a damning inditement of
> the way we are treating the marine ecosystem at
> present but you must also bear in mind that he is
> specifically referring to "big" fish and I have already
> explained that the big fish are the ones most vulnerable
> to overfishing.
>
> --
> See http://www.fisherycrisis.com/DFO/commons.htm .
> --

What point does that article make on your behalf. It is not
small handline fisheries that are responsible for any of the
major problems in the marine ecosystem.

--
It all adds up. And if everyone started eating such fish
those populations would also be depleted in no time.