Old 05-01-2006, 04:51 PM posted to alt.food.vegan
Dave

Default Linseed

The packet of linseeds I recently purchased advises take one tsp
immediately
followed by 2 glasses of water. Why the water and does it apply if you
grind the
seeds before eating?

Old 06-01-2006, 03:28 AM posted to alt.food.vegan
Jeff Caird

On 2006-01-05, Dave wrote:
The packet of linseeds I recently purchased advises take one tsp
immediately
followed by 2 glasses of water. Why the water and does it apply if you
grind the
seeds before eating?

Try boiled linseed oil. So much better.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:44 AM posted to alt.food.vegan
Steve

Dave wrote:
The packet of linseeds I recently purchased advises take one tsp
immediately
followed by 2 glasses of water. Why the water and does it apply if you
grind the
seeds before eating?

If you are vegan you should take 1-2 tablesppons a day, ground ( see the
first link at the url listed in my sig ).

You will not be able to digest flax seeds unless they are ground. Try
not to cook the seeds.

You need the water because the flax fibers absorb a lot of water. If
you don't drink water with it the flax will suck up fluids in your
digestive track making it more difficult for your system to deal with it.

Steve

Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"
Old 06-01-2006, 10:15 PM posted to alt.food.vegan
Dave

Steve wrote:
Dave wrote:
The packet of linseeds I recently purchased advises take one tsp
immediately
followed by 2 glasses of water. Why the water and does it apply if you
grind the
seeds before eating?

If you are vegan you should take 1-2 tablesppons a day, ground ( see the
first link at the url listed in my sig ).

You will not be able to digest flax seeds unless they are ground. Try
not to cook the seeds.

You need the water because the flax fibers absorb a lot of water. If
you don't drink water with it the flax will suck up fluids in your
digestive track making it more difficult for your system to deal with it.

Thanks for that helpful answer.

Old 06-01-2006, 10:17 PM posted to alt.food.vegan
Dave

On 2006-01-05, Dave wrote:
The packet of linseeds I recently purchased advises take one tsp
immediately
followed by 2 glasses of water. Why the water and does it apply if you
grind the
seeds before eating?

Try boiled linseed oil. So much better.

I thought you were supposed to avoid cooking linseed oil at too high
a temperature because the omega 3s are unstable.

Old 06-01-2006, 10:24 PM posted to alt.food.vegan
Dave

Steve wrote:
Dave wrote:
The packet of linseeds I recently purchased advises take one tsp
immediately
followed by 2 glasses of water. Why the water and does it apply if you
grind the
seeds before eating?

If you are vegan you should take 1-2 tablesppons a day, ground ( see the
first link at the url listed in my sig ).

You will not be able to digest flax seeds unless they are ground. Try
not to cook the seeds.

You need the water because the flax fibers absorb a lot of water. If
you don't drink water with it the flax will suck up fluids in your
digestive track making it more difficult for your system to deal with it.

Many thanks. Any other foods you ought to take water with?

Old 08-01-2006, 09:18 PM posted to alt.food.vegan
nemo

"Dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
The packet of linseeds I recently purchased advises take one tsp
immediately
followed by 2 glasses of water. Why the water and does it apply if you
grind the
seeds before eating?

It's probably to make em swell up and burst. The coats of the seeds are so
tough that if you don't burst em somehow, they'll just pass right through
and out the other end without being digested.

Alimentary my dear Watson.

And why eat 'em raw? Boil em up a little, mash em a bit and bake 'em into
biscuits or bread. Marvellous flavour!

Nourishing Nemo!

(just thought of that!

Old 08-01-2006, 09:18 PM posted to alt.food.vegan
nemo

On 2006-01-05, Dave wrote:
The packet of linseeds I recently purchased advises take one tsp
immediately
followed by 2 glasses of water. Why the water and does it apply if you
grind the
seeds before eating?

Try boiled linseed oil. So much better.

A few tablespoons of that and he'll look a picture!!!

Old 08-01-2006, 11:30 PM posted to alt.food.vegan
Dave

nemo wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
The packet of linseeds I recently purchased advises take one tsp
immediately
followed by 2 glasses of water. Why the water and does it apply if you
grind the
seeds before eating?

It's probably to make em swell up and burst. The coats of the seeds are so
tough that if you don't burst em somehow, they'll just pass right through
and out the other end without being digested.

Certainly plausible but so is Steve's answer so I will play safe and
take
the water.

Alimentary my dear Watson.

And why eat 'em raw?

Because the omega 3 fats are liable to be destroyed by heat.
There's probably a safe temperature but I don't know what it is.
Raw ground linseeds go OK in porrige.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:19 AM posted to alt.food.vegan
nemo

"Dave" wrote in message
ups.com...

nemo wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

OK - then crush them cold. With the husks intact, your digestion is not
going to get at the fats anyway.

They'd still be tasty in biscuits and bread though, and I doubt if all the
fatty acids would be destroyed, so just use more.