FoodBanter.com

-   Vegan (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegan/)
-   -   oysters alive when eaten? (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegan/78064-oysters-alive-when-eaten.html)

Falky foo 02-01-2006 09:46 PM

oysters alive when eaten?

Hi, I've looked and looked and can't find any information as to whether
oysters are alive when they are eaten.

I know that if they die naturally their shells open up, but that doesn't
necessarily mean that when you pry their shells open they instantly die.
AFAIK it's just a muscle that hold it closed.

Does anybody know this information -- namely how long it takes them to die
after they've been shucked?

Thanks!

Michael Balarama 03-01-2006 12:53 AM

oysters alive when eaten?

"Falky foo" > wrote in message
. ..
> Hi, I've looked and looked and can't find any information as to whether
> oysters are alive when they are eaten.
>
> I know that if they die naturally their shells open up, but that doesn't
> necessarily mean that when you pry their shells open they instantly die.
> AFAIK it's just a muscle that hold it closed.
>
> Does anybody know this information -- namely how long it takes them to die
> after they've been shucked?

It doesn't really matter-does it...

Jeff Caird 03-01-2006 02:44 AM

oysters alive when eaten?

On 2006-01-02, Falky foo > wrote:
> Hi, I've looked and looked and can't find any information as to whether
> oysters are alive when they are eaten.
>
> I know that if they die naturally their shells open up, but that doesn't
> necessarily mean that when you pry their shells open they instantly die.
> AFAIK it's just a muscle that hold it closed.
>
> Does anybody know this information -- namely how long it takes them to die
> after they've been shucked?
>
> Thanks!

I eat fresh ersters quite often just pulled out of the water.
I like to hear them scream when I shake on the hot sauce or
lemon juice.

feffer

Falky foo 03-01-2006 10:56 AM

oysters alive when eaten?

I'm not against oysters but the thought of eating a live beast is revolting.
YMMV