FoodBanter.com

-   Vegan (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegan/)
-   -   Looking for a good book on vegan nutrition (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegan/77532-looking-good-book-vegan.html)

Dave 27-12-2005 02:38 AM

Looking for a good book on vegan nutrition

Specifically I would like a book that provides useful and objective
nutrition information. "Becoming Vegan" by Brenda Davis and
"Plant Based Nutrition and Health" by Stephen Walsh look
promising. Anyone read either?

Steve 27-12-2005 04:21 AM

Dave wrote:
> Specifically I would like a book that provides useful and objective
> nutrition information. "Becoming Vegan" by Brenda Davis and
> "Plant Based Nutrition and Health" by Stephen Walsh look
> promising. Anyone read either?

I read the first and I would recommend it over Walsh's book. Walsh is
not a nutrition professional or a health professional of any kind.
Davis is a vegan, a registered dietitian, and she helped write the
American Dietetic Position Paper on vegetarianism. See the link in my
sig for a review of that book, plus other information you will be
interested in

Steve

Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"

Dave 30-12-2005 04:30 PM

Steve wrote:
> Dave wrote:
> > Specifically I would like a book that provides useful and objective
> > nutrition information. "Becoming Vegan" by Brenda Davis and
> > "Plant Based Nutrition and Health" by Stephen Walsh look
> > promising. Anyone read either?
> >

> I read the first and I would recommend it over Walsh's book. Walsh is
> not a nutrition professional or a health professional of any kind.
> Davis is a vegan, a registered dietitian, and she helped write the
> American Dietetic Position Paper on vegetarianism. See the link in my
> sig for a review of that book, plus other information you will be
> interested in

Many thanks. The book seems quite helpful.

Crafting Mom 31-12-2005 08:15 PM

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 17:38:05 -0800, Dave wrote:

> Specifically I would like a book that provides useful and objective
> nutrition information. "Becoming Vegan" by Brenda Davis and
> "Plant Based Nutrition and Health" by Stephen Walsh look
> promising. Anyone read either?

I've read those, but my absolute favorite is the 850 page tome called
"Conscious Eating" by Gabriel Cousens isbn 1-55643-285-2

Dave 05-01-2006 04:17 AM

Crafting Mom wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 17:38:05 -0800, Dave wrote:
>
> > Specifically I would like a book that provides useful and objective
> > nutrition information. "Becoming Vegan" by Brenda Davis and
> > "Plant Based Nutrition and Health" by Stephen Walsh look
> > promising. Anyone read either?

> I've read those, but my absolute favorite is the 850 page tome called
> "Conscious Eating" by Gabriel Cousens isbn 1-55643-285-2

Did a breif search for Cousens and found an interview of him.
He sounds too good to be true and the cynic within me thinks
he probably is. I was looking for something more mainstream
but thanks anyway.

Steve 06-01-2006 04:44 AM

Looking for a good book on vegan nutrition

Look at my book reviews at the bottom of this page:

http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

Dave 06-01-2006 10:28 PM

Steve wrote:
> Look at my book reviews at the bottom of this page:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

Ok. Only saw the 2 Davis and Melina books there, one of which
I have now read a large portion of. What do you think of the Cousens
book?

Steve 10-01-2006 01:15 AM

Dave wrote:
> Steve wrote:
>
>>Look at my book reviews at the bottom of this page:
>>
>>http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

> Ok. Only saw the 2 Davis and Melina books there, one of which
> I have now read a large portion of. What do you think of the Cousens
> book?

I haven'r read it.