Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
Martin Willett

Default Would you like to be eaten?

Dave wrote:
> Martin Willett wrote:
>
>>Dave wrote:

>>>You probably could but "I don't eat meat in case it causes me to be
>>>eaten
>>>by an alien" is a misrepresentation of the argument.

>>I would say it was an instructive re-interpretation of the argument that
>>shows how truly fatuous the idea is. Veg*ns will often use the "how
>>would you like it if somebody ate you?" line of reasoning (well, they
>>think it's reasoning) without going on to flesh out the ramifications of
>>the argument. It is an argument by ellipses. You float the idea half
>>finished, let it trail in the air, and hope the other person will flesh
>>it out in a way that convinces them that you had a point.
>>
>>Sorry about all the flesh in that paragraph, I can be such a meathead at
>>times.
>>
>>So what does the argument actually mean? It is clearly not a recipe to
>>avoid being eaten by aliens as I have shown.

> Yes. You have shown that the argument is not a recipe for avoiding
> something it was never intended to avoid in the first place. Well done.
> :-)

Does this mean nobody will ever use the "what would you think if
something tried to eat you?" line again? I doubt it somehow.

--
Martin Willett

http://mwillett.org
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
Leif Erikson

Martin Willett wrote:
> Dutch wrote:

>>> Do you start your reasoning from first principles and work upwards
>>> to conclusions and lifestyle choices that might come as a surprise
>>> you or do you work backwards from the practical policy stances you
>>> are most comfortable with and in the process discover what your
>>> principles "must have been"?

>> I think it's probably a combination, but that does not quite capture
>> the essence of my argument here. In the current context you said
>> about livestock, "it must surely better to live and die than not to".
>> "Not to" implies the existence a state of *unborness*, that's where
>> the fallacy lies. If such a state exists, then in order to call it
>> inferior to "living and dying" we must know something about it, and I
>> submit that we don't. If it doesn't exist then the statement cannot
>> logically be made. As the author above says, we make such statements
>> with "the terra firma of existence to argue from", and a very
>> pleasant existence at that. I think that we *can* say something quite
>> similar to your statement to summarize the morality of breeding
>> livestock, and that is, *if* we breed animals to be food for us, and
>> we ensure that their lives are happy and content, then no person can
>> fairly accuse us of wrongdoing. Can you see what I am getting at? It
>> is the "ensuring that their lives are happy and content" that
>> contains the valid moral principle here.
>>

> From my own personal experience I know that it is possible to raise
> animals for meat and they have a good life. I have seen it in action, I
> have seen animals being cared for by my mother and by her father. I know
> that farming is not by its fundamental nature cruel. It can become cruel
> if the drive to keep down food prices is allowed to reduce the standards
> of husbandry to unacceptible levels. It is the banks and supermarket
> buyers that are determining how cruel farming is.

No, the ultimate responsibility for the conditions
animals are raised in lies squarely with the consumer.
If consumers demanded - and were willing to pay the
extra cost for - free range chickens and grass fed beef
and pork from hogs raised in velvet-lined stalls,
that's what would be produced. Most consumers, at
least in America, just want the food to be cheap and
reasonably healthful (Americans don't particularly care
about flavor); they are oblivious to the conditions in
which the animals are raised and transported and
slaughtered, because they just don't care.

It is indeed possible to raise animals that have a good
life, at least good as we conceive of it for them, but
that *still* doesn't mean that it's better for animals
raised humanely to have existed rather than never
existing. There is NO moral meaning, to the animal,
from "getting to exist".

> I see no reason to give up eating meat entirely for ever just because
> some animals have been kept in poor conditions. I think drink driving is
> a terrible thing but I don't see how going teetotal myself and whingeing
> on about it to anybody who will listen (while making out that I'm not
> trying to portray myself as morally superior) is the best way to prevent
> it.
>
> If there is an issue with the welfare of farm animals there is an issue
> with the welfare of farm animals and I say it should be addressed
> directly and I will have no problem in paying more for food as a
> consequence.
>

>>> Do you regard lying to yourself as a form of sin?

>> I would have to say most likely yes, because such dishonesty would
>> inevitably lead to unjust behaviour towards others.
>>
>> I would also like to add that it has been a very, very long time
>> since someone new of your caliber has come to these groups to address
>> these issues, I hope you decide to stay a while and share your
>> insights.
>>

> I like the cut of your jib.
>
> (In case you're not familiar with that phrase I'm sure the origin is
> nautical and has nothing to do with butchery.)
>
> I think I have just worked out a new moral principle that is better than
> the not eating anything smarter than a pig principle but also has the
> same virtue of not making me change my ways and not painting me as a
> hypocrite in the front of ravenous aliens: I'll not kill or contribute
> to the death of any animal for food purposes /if that animal is clearly
> capable of making a moral choice/, unless they have given me explicit
> permission.

So you permit yourself to eat human infants, as well as
adults who have suffered major head trauma or who
suffer from severe mental illness?
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
Leif Erikson

Martin Willett wrote:

> Dutch wrote:

>>> If we didn't eat the pigs they would never exist at all. As long as
>>> most of their life is happy and content it must surely better to live
>>> and die than not to.
>>>
>>> Of course I know there's a qualifier in that statement. I put it
>>> there, so don't bother pointing it out.

>> I really like your posts Martin, I agree with everything you have said
>> up to now, but that is a fallacy. You cannot compare living and dying
>> to *not* living, since never being born, never existing is not a real
>> state. This is called "The Logic of the Larder" and there is one
>> fruitcake here who has already replied to you who makes it his life's
>> work to promote this idea.
>>
>> http://www.animal-rights-library.com/texts-c/salt02.pdf
>> There, in brief, is the key to the whole matter.
>> The fallacy lies in the confusion of thought which attempts to
>> compare existence with non-existence. A person who is already in
>> existence may feel that he
>> would rather have lived than not, but he must first have the terra
>> firma of existence to argue
>> from; the moment he begins to argue as if from the abyss of the
>> non-existent, he talks
>> nonsense, by predicating good or evil, happiness or unhappiness, of
>> that of which we can
>> predicate nothing.
>>
>> When, therefore, we talk of "bringing a being," as we vaguely express
>> it, "into the world," we
>> cannot claim from that being any gratitude for our action, or drive a
>> bargain with him, and a
>> very shabby one, on that account; nor can our duties to him be evaded
>> by any such quibble, in
>> which the wish is so obviously father to the thought. Nor, in this
>> connection, is it necessary to
>> enter on the question of ante-natal existence, because, if such
>> existence there be, we have no
>> reason for assuming that it is less happy than the present existence;
>> and thus equally the
>> argument falls to the ground. It is absurd to compare a supposed
>> preexistence, or non-
>> existence, with actual individual life as known to us here. All
>> reasoning based on such
>> comparison must necessarily be false, and will lead to grotesque
>> conclusions.
>>

> Do you start your reasoning from first principles and work upwards to
> conclusions and lifestyle choices that might come as a surprise you or
> do you work backwards from the practical policy stances you are most
> comfortable with and in the process discover what your principles "must
> have been"?

Your question doesn't seem a reasonable response to the
excerpt from The Logic of the Larder that Dutch posted.

> Do you regard lying to yourself as a form of sin?

How about you?
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
S. Maizlich

>>> http://www.omega3.co.uk/omega3/pages/omega_3.php

>> Proc Biol Sci. 1998 Oct 22;265(1409):1933-7.
>> Visual specialization and brain evolution in primates.
>> Barton RA.
>> Department of Anthropology, University of Durham, UK.
>>
>> Several theories have been proposed to explain the evolution of
>> species differences in brain size, but no consensus has emerged.
>> One unresolved question is whether brain size differences are a
>> result of neural specializations or of biological constraints
>> affecting the whole brain. Here I show that, among primates,
>> brain size variation is associated with visual specialization.
>> Primates with large brains for their body size have relatively
>> expanded visual brain areas, including the primary visual cortex
>> and lateral geniculate nucleus. Within the visual system, it is, in
>> particular, one functionally specialized pathway upon which
>> selection has acted: evolutionary changes in the number of
>> neurons in parvocellular, but not magnocellular, layers of the
>> lateral geniculate nucleus are correlated with changes in both
>> brain size and ecological variables (diet and social group size).
>> Given the known functions of the parvocellular pathway, these
>> results suggest that the relatively large brains of frugivorous
>> species are products of selection on the ability to perceive
>> and select fruits using specific visual cues such as colour.
>> The separate correlation between group size and visual brain
>> evolution, on the other hand, may indicate the visual basis of
>> social information processing in the primate brain.
>>
>> PMID: 9821360 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
>> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract
>>

> Thanks again.
>
> I have moved my position on whether meat had a major part to play in
> human evolution. I will read more, but on balance there seems little
> evidence to support that it did.

It is UNDISPUTED by evolutionary biologists that meat
played an indispensable role in human evolution.
Meat's role was both direct and indirect. The direct
role was in providing the massive amount of protein
needed for brain development. The indirect role is as
an organizing principle of human activity.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
Martin Willett

ant and dec wrote:
> Martin Willett wrote:
>
>> ant and dec wrote:

<snips>

>>> How convenient for you, and inconvenient for the pig. Why have you
>>> drawn this seemingly arbitrary line at pigs?

> I'd like you to answer this point.

I think you know the answer to that as clearly as I do: pigs are (by
quite a distance) the smartest animal I regularly eat, the only thing
that comes close is pigeons and since I gave away my shotgun I haven't
felt the need to eat any of them.

>>> unless I really have to. Fortunately that rule

>>> But not much respect for the pig?

>> If we didn't eat the pigs they would never exist at all. As long as
>> most of their life is happy and content it must surely better to live
>> and die than not to.
>>
>> Of course I know there's a qualifier in that statement. I put it
>> there, so don't bother pointing it out.
>>
>> Death is unavoidable, humane slaughter is not the worst death a pig
>> could face, very few wild pigs die in hospices surrounded by their
>> loving families with large quantities of euphoria-inducing pain-killers.

> This line of thinking is very often pulled apart as being complete BS.
> by both camps. I see some have already pointed this out.

I see. Which part of the argument? The porcine hospices? Have you got
any photographs?

>>> We can move on, as the points are coming out.

Like a wet t shirt competition in a stiff easterly breeze.

>>> Sorry I missed that caveat. The article focused on not eating
>>> carnivores, we eat carnivorous fish (and other things to a lesser
>>> extent)what stops these hypothetical aliens 'fishing' for carnivorous
>>> humans?

>> Nothing at all. Except that with billions of us to choose from
>> thinking purely as a connoisseur of meat I wouldn't be eating a 42
>> year old overweight male omnivore when I could have a teenage vegan
>> instead. I'd be fit only for sausages or pies. My granddad was a
>> farmer. He knew what to eat, food was his life. He always went for
>> local grass-fed heifer beef. I think aliens would think the same way.

> I think you're blurring the realms of hypothesis and reality under the
> pretense of a "joke".

This evening I'll be blurring the realms of reality with absinthe. But
jokes are good too.

>>> I think this is a problem of your perception. Do you think I ooze
>>> moral superiority like a slug, and why? Can you could give some
>>> examples of personal experience as evidence?

>> They're too good at smugging it up to do much that you can put your
>> finger on. But you can tell, just like you don't have to see a man
>> engaged in sodomy to get a pretty good idea of whether or not he's ***,
>> but your observations would be easily taken apart by any competent
>> defence lawyer. It's obvious, but it wouldn't hold up in court.

> You claim to observe this moral superiority, yet you can't give any
> examples? I think it's a figment of your imagination.

And I think you're being deliberately dense because it suits your cause.
Of course vegetarians want and expect to be seen as morally superior,
but without asking for it specifically. Can you imagine anybody ever
answering the question "did you do that to be seen as morally superior?"
in the affirmative? If so please tell me what colour the sky is on your
home planet. Of course people do things in order to be seen as better
people but equally obviously they will always vehemently deny it. We
don't have to believe them.

It is a part of human nature. That is why poppies and paper lifeboats
exist and why people make stickers that say "My mummy gave blood today".
But if you ever ask them whether they did something to appear to be
morally superior they instantly make up a lot of lame excuses.

Vegetarians and vegans do not realistically expect the world to turn
vegetarian but they keep promoting vegetarianism because it allows them
*to be seen* as vegetarians. If nobody ate meat they wouldn't have
anybody to feel superior to so they'd have to give up something else or
actually do something worthy in and of itself.

If vegetarians were not regarded as morally superior and vegetarianism
was not seen as evidence of moral fibre then the Nazis wouldn't have
made so much of Hitler's spurious diet choices.

My best advice to you would be carry on. Your propaganda isn't working,
so don't change it. The world will never go vegan. You're quite safe.
You will always have access to the moral high ground by simply not
eating certain foods. Just think, other people had to charge down
machine gun nests armed with a swagger stick, get beaten up by the Ku
Klux Klan or expel the infidels from Jerusalem to get what you get, all
you have to do is pretend to enjoy mung beans and tofu.

>>> They don't claim it, because most don't feel (in my experience) or
>>> have a higher moral position.

>> How many times have you sat with somebody eating a salad who points out
>> that they also eat meat?

> Occasionally.

Really? "I'm eating a salad but I'd like to point out to you that I'm
not a limp-wristed carrot-muncher I also eat meat"

What kind of leaves were in your salad? Where do you pick your mushrooms?

There is a technical term for people who do that: ignorant ****s.

>>> Again this is your misguided (self?) perception.

>> Carnivores don't wear badges and t shirts proclaiming their status for
>> the same reason that people don't wear "I didn't give money to charity"

> Of course they do! What about "hunting pink" as just one example.

Tell me, when was the last time you saw

a) a huntsman eat a fox

and

b) somebody wear hunting pink outside of a hunt organized event where
they knew they were not likely to be surrounded or outnumbered by oiks

>> badges. It is totally disingenuous to make out that vegetarians and
>> vegans do not want people to think they are morally superior because of
>> their diet, in exactly the same way that Christians do. People who
>> expect recognition for their moral probity make a point of not asking
>> for it but that doesn't mean they do not expect to get it and are hurt
>> when they don't get it.

> Unless you can give some evidence that this applies to the general
> ve*gan population, I must consider this as a figment of your imagination.

No, you mustn't. You may choose to, you may want to, but there is no
compulsion on you.

I have already explained why I can't prove it. But neither can anybody
prove that there is or isn't a god. Just because something can't be
proved it doesn't follow that it isn't so. I can't *prove* Elvis isn't
running a whelk stall on Venus either.

> There are irritating vegan zealots just as there are irritating
> Christians, but they are few and far between, as you would get on the
> "ends" of a normal population distribution.

I suppose this is the only form of normality vegans ever achieve:
statistical.

<snip>

>>> I'm sure an alien wouldn't mind cleaning your "vein".
>>>

>> But he'd probably prefer yours.

> I don't think they'll be that picky, more likely to go after the one
> that ate all the pies! The prize porker! ;-)

You're obviously well out of the loop as far as meat eating goes. The
only thing that might interest an interstellar gormet about me would
perhaps be my liver.

<snip>

>>> PS. I may be away for a day or two. - Apparently there's a Christian
>>> (traditionally meat centric) festival going on that I'm expected to
>>> take part in!

>> Me and my two atheist children will be celebrating it tomorrow too. My
>> Christian wife is out babysitting while some Jewish friends go out for a
>> Christmas drink. It's a funny old world, isn't it?

> Yep.
>

>> Meat is often the centrepiece of feasts because it is sharing food.
>> Herbivores don't share food and don't have much in the way of society,
>> they just use each other as bovine shields or the equivilent.

> I think you've lost the plot here. Perhaps you've seen too many "turkey
> on the table" movies.

No herbivorous species shares food. If you want to ingratiate yourself
with a gorilla you eat alongside them, or pretend to. You don't offer
them food. Pretty much the only food herbivores ever give away is milk.
But things are very different with meat, especially meat that is gained
via cooperative hunting. The complexity of social organization in a wolf
pack is orders of magnitude greater than in a flock of sheep.
Chimpanzees have their most interesting social behaviours when they are
cooperating on a hunt or sharing out the meat.

Collecting vegetable based material is mind numbing drudgery, gaining
meat usually requires sharp thinking and often social cooperation. It
doesn't take much in the way of IQ to outsmart a dandelion but you have
to have your wits about you to bring home the bacon. Because collecting
vegetable based food is a drudge sharing doesn't arise. The simplest way
of ensuring a fair distribution of vegetable based food is quite simply
to eat what you gather and never give any to anybody else ever, while
not deliberately getting in their way or shitting where they're grazing.
That is the recipe for vegetarian cooperation, with the only additions
being follow the herd and try and stay in the middle away from predators
and don't mate with your mother if there's another option available. No
vegetarian species is ever going to produce an intellectual titan or
ever get past the first step on the road to language because they don't
ever have anything worth saying beyond "get out of my way that female's
mine". The most intelligent herbivorous species is the elephant, I am
fairly certain that its intelligence is partly an offshoot of expanding
the brain to cope with the challenge of operating a prehensile trunk.
(They also have a prehensile penis but a penis never requires much
intelligence to operate, especially a big one) The rhino is clear
evidence that you can get by quite easily by being being a big
vegetarian as long as you're thick skinned and aggressive, intellectual
ability is a luxury that evolution has decided most herbivores can't afford.

Vegetarian hominids are a bit of an evolutionary dead end. Huge jaws,
small brains. Given the option of adding a few more grams of body weight
to the bauplan of the herbivorous hominid evolutionary forces are likely
to go for extra thickness on the skull, bigger threatening canine teeth
or bigger testes, not more grey matter.

>> If mankind
>> was herbivorous we'd never have become intelligent and socially
>> cooperative, we'd just be living like gorillas. Like it or not meat was
>> a vital part of what has made us human. But of course a was doesn't
>> make an ought.

> I agree meat was an important part of out human evolution. You and I are
> fortunate to have a choice of what we eat. Perhaps more should think
> about their choices, in particular what impact those choices have,
> rather than blindly follow customs and practice.

While you refuse to eat meat a Welsh sheep farmer sucks on his shotgun
because he can't pay the bills while another farmer far away takes the
money he made from selling you the beans you pretend to enjoy he goes
off and buys a chicken. But don't worry, people will think better of you
for making your stand and being so moral. It does help you score with
the appropriate (to your choice) sex doesn't it?

--
Martin Willett

http://mwillett.org

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
Martin Willett

S. Maizlich wrote:
> Martin Willett wrote:
>
>> ant and dec wrote:

<snips>

>> If we didn't eat the pigs they would never exist at all. As long as
>> most of their life is happy and content it must surely better to live
>> and die than not to.

> No, that's illogical thinking. When you compare two things, the things
> must exist in order for the comparison to make sense. It is patently
> absurd to say that existing (no matter what the quality of life) is
> better than never existing.
>
> What does it mean for something to be "better" for some entity? It
> means that the entity either must perceive itself to be, or objectively
> seen by others as being, better off THAN IT WAS BEFORE. That is, the
> entity's welfare must have *improved* from what it was before. But prior
> to existing, there was no entity, and so there was no welfare of the
> entity. Thus, we see that is is plainly absurd to talk about existence,
> per se, making the entity "better off". Existence is what establishes
> an entity's welfare; it does *not* improve it.
>
> This false belief that it is better to exist than never to exist leads
> to an infamous bit of illogic called the Logic of the Larder, taken from
> the title of a famous essay on this very topic. It leads someone to
> conclude that he is doing a domestic animal he kills and eats some kind
> of "favor" by causing it to exist. But the person who wishes to eat
> meat cannot justify his meat eating by saying he made the animal better
> off by having caused it to exist. It is obvious that a person who
> attempts to engage in this illogic harbors some kind of doubts over the
> ethical justice of eating meat, and is frantically trying to rationalize
> his diet by making some aspect of it seem "other-directed". But it's a
> dead end.
>

>> Of course I know there's a qualifier in that statement. I put it
>> there, so don't bother pointing it out.

> No, the qualifier is irrelevant. It is the *entire* concept that is
> flawed.
>

>> Death is unavoidable, humane slaughter is not the worst death a pig
>> could face, very few wild pigs die in hospices surrounded by their
>> loving families with large quantities of euphoria-inducing pain-killers.

> And therein lies the *correct* justification for eating meat: there is
> nothing inherently wrong with killing an animal. Predators do it all
> the time, and there is no moral dimension to their doing it. As long as
> one isn't intentionally inflicting needless suffering on animals, no
> rationale for the basic act of killing them to eat them is needed.

Thanks. I can digest that steak pie in peace now.

It doesn't matter if the animal lives or doesn't, and if it lives it
will die no matter whether it was caused to live or just happened to
live. What matters is whether it lives or dies in avoidable suffering.
As long as human animal husbandry does not impose more stress or
suffering on an animal than it would be expected to experience in a life
unaffected by humanity then we have done nothing to be ashamed of. I am
quite confident that good animal husbandry can and often does meet that
test.

--
Martin Willett

http://mwillett.org
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
Leif Erikson

Martin Willett wrote:

> ant and dec wrote:
>
>> Martin Willett wrote:

> <snips>

>> I'd like you to answer this point.
>>

> I think you know the answer to that as clearly as I do: pigs are (by
> quite a distance) the smartest animal I regularly eat, the only thing
> that comes close is pigeons and since I gave away my shotgun I haven't
> felt the need to eat any of them.

>>> If we didn't eat the pigs they would never exist at all. As long as
>>> most of their life is happy and content it must surely better to live
>>> and die than not to.
>>>
>>> Of course I know there's a qualifier in that statement. I put it
>>> there, so don't bother pointing it out.
>>>
>>> Death is unavoidable, humane slaughter is not the worst death a pig
>>> could face, very few wild pigs die in hospices surrounded by their
>>> loving families with large quantities of euphoria-inducing pain-killers.

>> This line of thinking is very often pulled apart as being complete BS.
>> by both camps. I see some have already pointed this out.
>>

> I see. Which part of the argument?

The part that says it is "better" for the pigs or other
domestic animals to "get to experience life" rather
than never doing so. That part. It has been
thoroughly discredited.

> The porcine hospices? Have you got
> any photographs?

> Like a wet t shirt competition in a stiff easterly breeze.

>>> Nothing at all. Except that with billions of us to choose from
>>> thinking purely as a connoisseur of meat I wouldn't be eating a 42
>>> year old overweight male omnivore when I could have a teenage vegan
>>> instead. I'd be fit only for sausages or pies. My granddad was a
>>> farmer. He knew what to eat, food was his life. He always went for
>>> local grass-fed heifer beef. I think aliens would think the same way.

>> I think you're blurring the realms of hypothesis and reality under the
>> pretense of a "joke".

> This evening I'll be blurring the realms of reality with absinthe. But
> jokes are good too.

I tried that stuff once. There wasn't enough left in
my friend's bottle to get to any realm-blurring.

>>> They're too good at smugging it up to do much that you can put your
>>> finger on. But you can tell, just like you don't have to see a man
>>> engaged in sodomy to get a pretty good idea of whether or not he's ***,
>>> but your observations would be easily taken apart by any competent
>>> defence lawyer. It's obvious, but it wouldn't hold up in court.

>> You claim to observe this moral superiority, yet you can't give any
>> examples? I think it's a figment of your imagination.
>>

> And I think you're being deliberately dense because it suits your cause.
> Of course vegetarians want and expect to be seen as morally superior,

Not vegetarians; "vegans", also known as (so-called)
"ethical" vegetarians. Lots of people are vegetarian
for reasons other than ethics.

If restricted to "vegans", your observation is correct:
a wish to be seen as morally superior underlies the
belief system. The wish doesn't by itself entirely
invalidate the belief system, but it certainly gets it
off on shaky footing, and it never recovers.

> [...]

>>> cooperative, we'd just be living like gorillas. Like it or not meat was
>>> a vital part of what has made us human. But of course a was doesn't
>>> make an ought.

>> I agree meat was an important part of out human evolution. You and I
>> are fortunate to have a choice of what we eat. Perhaps more should
>> think about their choices, in particular what impact those choices
>> have, rather than blindly follow customs and practice.
>>

> While you refuse to eat meat a Welsh sheep farmer sucks on his shotgun
> because he can't pay the bills while another farmer far away takes the
> money he made from selling you the beans you pretend to enjoy he goes
> off and buys a chicken. But don't worry, people will think better of you
> for making your stand and being so moral. It does help you score with
> the appropriate (to your choice) sex doesn't it?

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
S. Maizlich

Martin Willett wrote:

> S. Maizlich wrote:
>
>> Martin Willett wrote:

> <snips>
>

>>> If we didn't eat the pigs they would never exist at all. As long as
>>> most of their life is happy and content it must surely better to live
>>> and die than not to.

>> No, that's illogical thinking. When you compare two things, the
>> things must exist in order for the comparison to make sense. It is
>> patently absurd to say that existing (no matter what the quality of
>> life) is better than never existing.
>>
>> What does it mean for something to be "better" for some entity? It
>> means that the entity either must perceive itself to be, or
>> objectively seen by others as being, better off THAN IT WAS BEFORE.
>> That is, the entity's welfare must have *improved* from what it was
>> before. But prior to existing, there was no entity, and so there was
>> no welfare of the entity. Thus, we see that is is plainly absurd to
>> talk about existence, per se, making the entity "better off".
>> Existence is what establishes an entity's welfare; it does *not*
>> improve it.
>>
>> This false belief that it is better to exist than never to exist leads
>> to an infamous bit of illogic called the Logic of the Larder, taken
>> from the title of a famous essay on this very topic. It leads someone
>> to conclude that he is doing a domestic animal he kills and eats some
>> kind of "favor" by causing it to exist. But the person who wishes to
>> eat meat cannot justify his meat eating by saying he made the animal
>> better off by having caused it to exist. It is obvious that a person
>> who attempts to engage in this illogic harbors some kind of doubts
>> over the ethical justice of eating meat, and is frantically trying to
>> rationalize his diet by making some aspect of it seem
>> "other-directed". But it's a dead end.
>>

>>> Of course I know there's a qualifier in that statement. I put it
>>> there, so don't bother pointing it out.

>> No, the qualifier is irrelevant. It is the *entire* concept that is
>> flawed.
>>

>>> Death is unavoidable, humane slaughter is not the worst death a pig
>>> could face, very few wild pigs die in hospices surrounded by their
>>> loving families with large quantities of euphoria-inducing pain-killers.

>> And therein lies the *correct* justification for eating meat: there
>> is nothing inherently wrong with killing an animal. Predators do it
>> all the time, and there is no moral dimension to their doing it. As
>> long as one isn't intentionally inflicting needless suffering on
>> animals, no rationale for the basic act of killing them to eat them is
>> needed.

> Thanks. I can digest that steak pie in peace now.
>
> It doesn't matter if the animal lives or doesn't,

Right. But it's especially important to understand
that rationalizing one's meat consumption on the basis
that "at least" the animal got to live is a nasty
sophistry. Not only that, it's needless: no such
rationalization is necessary. To me, the biggest
problem with such rationalization and sophistry is it's
attempting to play the "vegans'" game on their terms,
and as their entire ethical motivation for playing the
game in the first place is morally disgusting, it puts
one in an ethical swamp where one needn't have gone in
the first place. The Logic of the Larder when advanced
by meat eaters as a rationale for their meat eating
always has an unserious quality to it; as if those who
advance it really are just trying to pull a rhetorical
trick, a fast one, on their "vegan" opponents.

> and if it lives it
> will die no matter whether it was caused to live or just happened to
> live. What matters is whether it lives or dies in avoidable suffering.
> As long as human animal husbandry does not impose more stress or
> suffering on an animal than it would be expected to experience in a life
> unaffected by humanity then we have done nothing to be ashamed of.

I'm not even sure this last is a requirement, simply
because the animals we raise domestically for our
consumption never *would* exist unaffected by humanity.
All that's needed is good-faith effort to keep the
amount of suffering low, and always to be seeking ways
to reduce it further.

> I am quite confident that good animal husbandry can and often does
> meet that test.

Of course it does.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
Martin Willett

Dave wrote:
> Martin Willett wrote:
>
>>ant and dec wrote:

<snip>

>>>What higher moral stance? Different morals perhaps. Why do you feel they
>>>claim a higher moral stance and why? Perhaps it's your perception of
>>>your own morality.

> If people decide to avoid animal source food products for perceived
> ethical reasons as the vast majority of vegans do then it follows
> they must consider this to be a higher moral stance.

Quite. To say otherwise is simply being obtuse.

>>Oh come on. Veg*ns ooze their sense of moral superiority like Christians
>>and Buddhists, they use it as part of their locomotion, like slugs. Of
>>course they make a point of not *claiming* moral superiority while doing
>>all they can to ensure that other people get the message loud and clear.
>>Their entire bearing says "we're not claiming to be superior to you, oh
>>no, that would be rude and arrogant and not *nice*, but you do know that
>>you are inferior to us, don't you? You don't? Here, take a pamphlet,
>>it's all in there."

> Since you obviously have a problem with it perhaps you might like to
> give
> veg*ns some advice. Should they avoid acting in what they consider to
> be the morally superior fashion in case it makes other people feel
> uncomfortable? Show they avoid trying to educate people whom they
> believe have similar moral values but eat animal products out of
> ignorance?

If veg*ns want to carry on getting cheap moral superiority without
having to do anything really worthy they should carry on exactly as they
are doing. Veg*nism will never be an opportunity for moral superiority
if it is universal, so the struggle must go on for ever and must never
be allowed to succeed. Ensuring that they never make a united and
coherent front, that there are always several contradictory sets of
ideas on display and that they are seen to also endorse a variety of
alternative and counter-cultural causes. I especially commend the use of
the "it's all the same struggle comrade" approach whenever possible to
ensure that veg*nism is always associated with the kind of militant
animal rights people who torture the pets of laboratory workers to show
how bloody serious they are and associating veg*nism with drugs,
homosexuality, torching McDonalds and overturning BMWs is always a good
idea.

What about holding a march on Trafalgar Square under the banner of
"Vegans: kick a pigeon if you think meat is murder" and carry banners
that say "Vegans fart louder" or "Vegans: spit or swallow?"

> How would you act if you agreed with their views about the raising or
> killing of animals?

Badly. I'd be a bloody dangerous person if ever I was infected by
religion or moral absolutism. I know my capacity for bloody-mindedness
and it scares me.

Seriously, I can't do it. It would be like trying to imagine what I'd
think if I was a bat.

If I agreed with those views I wouldn't be me and I wouldn't have my
thoughts or my memories.

No, I didn't say vegans were all batty.

<snip>

--
Martin Willett

http://mwillett.org
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
Leif Erikson

Dave wrote:

> Martin Willett wrote:
>
>>ant and dec wrote:

>>>It was wrong. It is a diatribe. Humour is often used as a mollifying
>>>device for mental conflict, perhaps caused by your recognition of your
>>>own hypocrisy.
>>>

>>I don't have a problem with hypocrisy, I make a rule not to eat anything
>>smarter than a pig, unless I really have to. Fortunately that rule
>>doesn't restrict my diet very much. I have a lot of respect for the
>>intelligence of pigs. Chimp chops? No thanks!
>>

>>>It strikes me you simply haven't got an answer

>>>Does a diatribe have a point?

>>Why restrict yourself to one?

>>>Salmon, as *one* example is a carnivorous species that we eat as a
>>>common food.
>>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmon

>>How is this a contradiction?
>>
>>"The only carnivorous species that we eat on a regular basis are fish,
>>animals that some people who call themselves vegetarians even try to
>>redefine as some sort of vegetable. I've news for you veggies, haddock
>>are animals that eat other animals, being cold bloodied, small-eyed and
>>ugly doesn't change anything, fish are not vegetables. If you eat fish
>>you cannot be a vegetarian."

>>>What higher moral stance? Different morals perhaps. Why do you feel they
>>>claim a higher moral stance and why? Perhaps it's your perception of
>>>your own morality.

> If people decide to avoid animal source food products for perceived
> ethical reasons as the vast majority of vegans do then it follows
> they must consider this to be a higher moral stance.

Right. At a minimum, it is a "better" (higher) moral
position than what they believe they would be on if
they, themselves, were not "vegan". But one doesn't
have to look too hard or deep to find that the
comparison is not between themselves as "vegans" vs.
their hypothetical selves as omnivores; one quickly
finds that instrinsic to "veganism" is a repulsive
comparison with non-"vegans".

>>Oh come on. Veg*ns ooze their sense of moral superiority like Christians
>>and Buddhists, they use it as part of their locomotion, like slugs. Of
>>course they make a point of not *claiming* moral superiority while doing
>>all they can to ensure that other people get the message loud and clear.
>>Their entire bearing says "we're not claiming to be superior to you, oh
>>no, that would be rude and arrogant and not *nice*, but you do know that
>>you are inferior to us, don't you? You don't? Here, take a pamphlet,
>>it's all in there."

> Since you obviously have a problem with it perhaps you might like to
> give
> veg*ns some advice. Should they avoid acting in what they consider to
> be the morally superior fashion in case it makes other people feel
> uncomfortable? Show they avoid trying to educate people whom they
> believe have similar moral values but eat animal products out of
> ignorance?
> How would you act if you agreed with their views about the raising or
> killing of animals?

As "veganism", both as a philosophy and as a practice,
is fatally flawed, I think the only reasonable advice
to give "vegans" is to discard "veganism". If they've
been away from eating meat for so long that they no
longer find it palatable, then I wouldn't encourage
them to eat meat; I'd simply say to continue with their
diet, and if asked why they're vegetarian (but no
longer "vegan"), simply to say that it's a habit and
it's what they like to eat. No philosophical
justification for it is necessary.

>>>It is used by some.

>>Quite. If the cap fits, wear it.

>>>More people eat salmon than tapeworms, none are more "noble" or "nasty"
>>>than each other.

>>People do not eat nasty animals. At least they don't like to think that
>>they do. Muslims for example are taught to vilify pigs as well as not to
>>eat them. I am not suggesting that species are objectively noble or
>>nasty, that isn't the point, but the perceptions vary. We don't eat rats
>>and cockroaches but we do eat prawns, which in turn eat marine carrion
>>and excrement, but we put that image from our minds, even to the point
>>of calling the alimentary canal of a prawn "just a vein", when in fact
>>it clearly is scum sucker shit.

>>>You've recognised your own hypocrisy, and have attempted to make joke
>>>out of it.

>>I endeavour to make a joke out of most things.
>>
>>Sometimes I even succeed.

>>>I don't hate you. From what I can see you seem a quite a nice guy!

>>Thanks, but it does annoy me when people are so quick to hang the
>>ready-made labels around people's necks. "He's just a troll." I am much
>>more than that.

>>>If you were looking for a good case against you, perhaps you should have
>>>written something for that purpose.
>>>
>>>Your response has made me reconsider your troll status!
>>>

>>Good. My troll status is something I am very proud of. I am not your
>>common or garden troll. http://www.mwillett.org/troll.htm
>>

>>--
>>Martin Willett
>>

>>http://mwillett.org

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
Leif Erikson

Martin Willett wrote:

> Dave wrote:
>
>> Martin Willett wrote:

> <snip>

>> If people decide to avoid animal source food products for perceived
>> ethical reasons as the vast majority of vegans do then it follows
>> they must consider this to be a higher moral stance.
>>

> Quite. To say otherwise is simply being obtuse.
>
>>> Oh come on. Veg*ns ooze their sense of moral superiority like Christians
>>> and Buddhists, they use it as part of their locomotion, like slugs. Of
>>> course they make a point of not *claiming* moral superiority while doing
>>> all they can to ensure that other people get the message loud and clear.
>>> Their entire bearing says "we're not claiming to be superior to you, oh
>>> no, that would be rude and arrogant and not *nice*, but you do know that
>>> you are inferior to us, don't you? You don't? Here, take a pamphlet,
>>> it's all in there."

>> Since you obviously have a problem with it perhaps you might like to
>> give
>> veg*ns some advice. Should they avoid acting in what they consider to
>> be the morally superior fashion in case it makes other people feel
>> uncomfortable? Show they avoid trying to educate people whom they
>> believe have similar moral values but eat animal products out of
>> ignorance?

> If veg*ns want to carry on getting cheap moral superiority without
> having to do anything really worthy they should carry on exactly as they
> are doing. Veg*nism will never be an opportunity for moral superiority
> if it is universal, so the struggle must go on for ever and must never
> be allowed to succeed.

This is absolutely right, and it ties back to an
observation I made a long time ago concerning self
marginalization. "vegans" suffer from what can only be
called a form of mental illness, in which they derive a
perverse and pathological sense of well being from
being alienated from the larger society. For most
people, a feeling of alienation is unpleasant, and
mentally healthy people attempt to elminate it or
overcome it. Some people suffering from mental
pathology, however, come to embrace their feelings of
alienation, and seek to augment them. The consious
embrace of a marginalizing diet and belief system is a
pretty good way at achieving greater alienation. If
the entire world embraced "veganism", today's "vegans"
would no longer feel alienated based on that one
dimension. They don't *want* the world to "go 'vegan'".

> Ensuring that they never make a united and
> coherent front, that there are always several contradictory sets of
> ideas on display and that they are seen to also endorse a variety of
> alternative and counter-cultural causes. I especially commend the use of
> the "it's all the same struggle comrade" approach whenever possible to
> ensure that veg*nism is always associated with the kind of militant
> animal rights people who torture the pets of laboratory workers to show
> how bloody serious they are and associating veg*nism with drugs,
> homosexuality, torching McDonalds and overturning BMWs is always a good
> idea.

"veganism" *is* the dietary expression of "animal
rights" adherents.

> What about holding a march on Trafalgar Square under the banner of
> "Vegans: kick a pigeon if you think meat is murder" and carry banners
> that say "Vegans fart louder" or "Vegans: spit or swallow?"
>
>> How would you act if you agreed with their views about the raising or
>> killing of animals?
>>

> Badly. I'd be a bloody dangerous person if ever I was infected by
> religion or moral absolutism. I know my capacity for bloody-mindedness
> and it scares me.
>
> Seriously, I can't do it. It would be like trying to imagine what I'd
> think if I was a bat.
>
> If I agreed with those views I wouldn't be me and I wouldn't have my
> thoughts or my memories.
>
> No, I didn't say vegans were all batty.
>
> <snip>

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
ant and dec

Martin Willett wrote:
> ant and dec wrote:
>> Martin Willett wrote:

> <snips>

>> I'd like you to answer this point.
>>

> I think you know the answer to that as clearly as I do: pigs are (by
> quite a distance) the smartest animal I regularly eat, the only thing
> that comes close is pigeons and since I gave away my shotgun I haven't
> felt the need to eat any of them.

I did think that "I'll draw the line just above what I normally eat" was
the answer. I just thought that you may have another more convincing
argument, but never mind.

>>> If we didn't eat the pigs they would never exist at all. As long as
>>> most of their life is happy and content it must surely better to live
>>> and die than not to.
>>>
>>> Of course I know there's a qualifier in that statement. I put it
>>> there, so don't bother pointing it out.
>>>
>>> Death is unavoidable, humane slaughter is not the worst death a pig
>>> could face, very few wild pigs die in hospices surrounded by their
>>> loving families with large quantities of euphoria-inducing pain-killers.

>> This line of thinking is very often pulled apart as being complete BS.
>> by both camps. I see some have already pointed this out.
>>

> I see. Which part of the argument?

The BS part.

The porcine hospices? Have you got
> any photographs?

Ah I see another joke. Ha.....Ha...

> Like a wet t shirt competition in a stiff easterly breeze.

I did laugh (really!)

>>> Nothing at all. Except that with billions of us to choose from
>>> thinking purely as a connoisseur of meat I wouldn't be eating a 42
>>> year old overweight male omnivore when I could have a teenage vegan
>>> instead. I'd be fit only for sausages or pies. My granddad was a
>>> farmer. He knew what to eat, food was his life. He always went for
>>> local grass-fed heifer beef. I think aliens would think the same way.

>> I think you're blurring the realms of hypothesis and reality under the
>> pretense of a "joke".

> This evening I'll be blurring the realms of reality with absinthe. But
> jokes are good too.

Ah I see another joke. Ha.....Ha...

>>> They're too good at smugging it up to do much that you can put your
>>> finger on. But you can tell, just like you don't have to see a man
>>> engaged in sodomy to get a pretty good idea of whether or not he's ***,
>>> but your observations would be easily taken apart by any competent
>>> defence lawyer. It's obvious, but it wouldn't hold up in court.

>> You claim to observe this moral superiority, yet you can't give any
>> examples? I think it's a figment of your imagination.
>>

> And I think you're being deliberately dense because it suits your cause.
> Of course vegetarians want and expect to be seen as morally superior,
> but without asking for it specifically. Can you imagine anybody ever
> answering the question "did you do that to be seen as morally superior?"
> in the affirmative? If so please tell me what colour the sky is on your
> home planet. Of course people do things in order to be seen as better
> people but equally obviously they will always vehemently deny it. We
> don't have to believe them.

It was implicit that you made observations, yet you can't give any examples.

> It is a part of human nature. That is why poppies and paper lifeboats
> exist and why people make stickers that say "My mummy gave blood today".
> But if you ever ask them whether they did something to appear to be
> morally superior they instantly make up a lot of lame excuses.
>
> Vegetarians and vegans do not realistically expect the world to turn
> vegetarian but they keep promoting vegetarianism because it allows them
> *to be seen* as vegetarians. If nobody ate meat they wouldn't have
> anybody to feel superior to so they'd have to give up something else or
> actually do something worthy in and of itself.

What utter crap. This is ALL in your mind, please provide SOME evidence
for these conclusions. You don't get it do you, it's YOUR mis perception
of vegetarians.

> If vegetarians were not regarded as morally superior and vegetarianism
> was not seen as evidence of moral fibre then the Nazis wouldn't have
> made so much of Hitler's spurious diet choices.

More crap.

> My best advice to you would be carry on. Your propaganda isn't working,

What propaganda of mine?

> so don't change it. The world will never go vegan.

Vegan / vegetarian. I've never asked anybody to choose any diet.

>You're quite safe.
> You will always have access to the moral high ground by simply not
> eating certain foods. Just think, other people had to charge down
> machine gun nests armed with a swagger stick, get beaten up by the Ku
> Klux Klan or expel the infidels from Jerusalem to get what you get, all
> you have to do is pretend to enjoy mung beans and tofu.

Are you drunk, or was that a another joke. Ha.....Ha...? BTW I don't eat
or even pretend to eat mung beans or tofu.

>>> How many times have you sat with somebody eating a salad who points out
>>> that they also eat meat?

>> Occasionally.

> Really? "I'm eating a salad but I'd like to point out to you that I'm
> not a limp-wristed carrot-muncher I also eat meat"

I think you've got a problem with vegetarians! The common pattern of
events includes *others* pointing out my dietary choices, then the rest
of the table stating what they couldn't do without or can't understand
my choices, etc.

> What kind of leaves were in your salad? Where do you pick your mushrooms?

Ah I see another joke. Ha.....Ha...

>> This reminds me of when I sat next to someone in a restaurant, who
>> said they were vegetarian, then went on to order the duck! - Perhaps
>> this is a meat eater trying to claim this mythical "moral high
>> ground", that doesn't really exist.
>>

> There is a technical term for people who do that: ignorant ****s.

Agreed.

>>> Carnivores don't wear badges and t shirts proclaiming their status for
>>> the same reason that people don't wear "I didn't give money to charity"

>> Of course they do! What about "hunting pink" as just one example.

> Tell me, when was the last time you saw
>
> a) a huntsman eat a fox

Who said anything about a fox? Hunting pink is used in other hunts.

Anyway it's a clear a badge of "I eat meat" than any words on a tee shirt.

> and
>
> b) somebody wear hunting pink outside of a hunt organized event where
> they knew they were not likely to be surrounded or outnumbered by oiks

I've never seen that, but I don't see that's got any bearing, as I've
never seen a "Meat is murder" tee shirt either.

The fact remains that some carnivores do wear badges proclaiming their
status, just as some vegans do.

>>> badges. It is totally disingenuous to make out that vegetarians and
>>> vegans do not want people to think they are morally superior because of
>>> their diet, in exactly the same way that Christians do. People who
>>> expect recognition for their moral probity make a point of not asking
>>> for it but that doesn't mean they do not expect to get it and are hurt
>>> when they don't get it.

>> Unless you can give some evidence that this applies to the general
>> ve*gan population, I must consider this as a figment of your imagination.

> No, you mustn't. You may choose to, you may want to, but there is no
> compulsion on you.

There is no other option.

> I have already explained why I can't prove it. But neither can anybody
> prove that there is or isn't a god. Just because something can't be
> proved it doesn't follow that it isn't so. I can't *prove* Elvis isn't
> running a whelk stall on Venus either.

No, it was implicit in your response that the observation could be made.
Surely if you observe these vegetarians being smug, you can give any
examples; can't you?

>> There are irritating vegan zealots just as there are irritating
>> Christians, but they are few and far between, as you would get on the
>> "ends" of a normal population distribution.
>>

> I suppose this is the only form of normality vegans ever achieve:
> statistical.

Meaningless. Or was that another joke; Ha.....Ha...?

> <snip>

>>> But he'd probably prefer yours.

>> I don't think they'll be that picky, more likely to go after the one
>> that ate all the pies! The prize porker! ;-)

> You're obviously well out of the loop as far as meat eating goes. The
> only thing that might interest an interstellar gormet about me would
> perhaps be my liver.

Pate de foie gras? Perhaps a bit too gras?

> <snip>

>>> Me and my two atheist children will be celebrating it tomorrow too. My
>>> Christian wife is out babysitting while some Jewish friends go out for a
>>> Christmas drink. It's a funny old world, isn't it?

>> Yep.
>>

>>> Meat is often the centrepiece of feasts because it is sharing food.
>>> Herbivores don't share food and don't have much in the way of society,
>>> they just use each other as bovine shields or the equivilent.

>> I think you've lost the plot here. Perhaps you've seen too many
>> "turkey on the table" movies.

> No herbivorous species shares food. If you want to ingratiate yourself
> with a gorilla you eat alongside them, or pretend to. You don't offer
> them food. Pretty much the only food herbivores ever give away is milk.
> But things are very different with meat, especially meat that is gained
> via cooperative hunting. The complexity of social organization in a wolf
> pack is orders of magnitude greater than in a flock of sheep.
> Chimpanzees have their most interesting social behaviours when they are
> cooperating on a hunt or sharing out the meat.

Life at Sainsburys will never be the same!

Now pull yourself back to the REAL World for just one moment. I said
you'd lost the plot because you juxtaposed a meat centerpiece with a
herbivorous diet. I share meals just as any most other families do.
Traditionally meat is a the center of the a feast for no other reason
than custom and practice. All this stuff about herbivores is just plain
crap.

> Collecting vegetable based material is mind numbing drudgery, gaining
> meat usually requires sharp thinking and often social cooperation. It
> doesn't take much in the way of IQ to outsmart a dandelion but you have
> to have your wits about you to bring home the bacon. Because collecting
> vegetable based food is a drudge sharing doesn't arise. The simplest way
> of ensuring a fair distribution of vegetable based food is quite simply
> to eat what you gather and never give any to anybody else ever, while
> not deliberately getting in their way or shitting where they're grazing.
> That is the recipe for vegetarian cooperation, with the only additions
> being follow the herd and try and stay in the middle away from predators
> and don't mate with your mother if there's another option available. No
> vegetarian species is ever going to produce an intellectual titan or
> ever get past the first step on the road to language because they don't
> ever have anything worth saying beyond "get out of my way that female's
> mine". The most intelligent herbivorous species is the elephant, I am
> fairly certain that its intelligence is partly an offshoot of expanding
> the brain to cope with the challenge of operating a prehensile trunk.
> (They also have a prehensile penis but a penis never requires much
> intelligence to operate, especially a big one) The rhino is clear
> evidence that you can get by quite easily by being being a big
> vegetarian as long as you're thick skinned and aggressive, intellectual
> ability is a luxury that evolution has decided most herbivores can't
> afford.
>
> Vegetarian hominids are a bit of an evolutionary dead end. Huge jaws,
> small brains. Given the option of adding a few more grams of body weight
> to the bauplan of the herbivorous hominid evolutionary forces are likely
> to go for extra thickness on the skull, bigger threatening canine teeth
> or bigger testes, not more grey matter.

More crap following on from the earlier (lost) point.

>>> If mankind
>>> was herbivorous we'd never have become intelligent and socially
>>> cooperative, we'd just be living like gorillas. Like it or not meat was
>>> a vital part of what has made us human. But of course a was doesn't
>>> make an ought.

>> I agree meat was an important part of out human evolution. You and I
>> are fortunate to have a choice of what we eat. Perhaps more should
>> think about their choices, in particular what impact those choices
>> have, rather than blindly follow customs and practice.
>>

> While you refuse to eat meat a Welsh sheep farmer sucks on his shotgun
> because he can't pay the bills while another farmer far away takes the
> money he made from selling you the beans you pretend to enjoy he goes
> off and buys a chicken. But don't worry, people will think better of you
> for making your stand and being so moral. It does help you score with
> the appropriate (to your choice) sex doesn't it?

Now I'm responsible for a Welsh sheep farmers suicide? Or was that
another joke; Ha.....Ha...? The impact on any Welsh sheep farmer of my
choices has been insignificant, if that was the point you were alluding to.

The farmer's just as likely to go out of business because possibly you
but certainly most others don't give a shit where their meat comes from.

Why don't you answer the points I DID make rather than ones you like to
pontificate about?

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
Dutch

"Dave" > wrote

> Martin Willett wrote:

[..]

>> > What higher moral stance? Different morals perhaps. Why do you feel
>> > they
>> > claim a higher moral stance and why? Perhaps it's your perception of
>> > your own morality.

> If people decide to avoid animal source food products for perceived
> ethical reasons as the vast majority of vegans do then it follows
> they must consider this to be a higher moral stance.

You would think it to be self-evident wouldn't you? Yet vegans consistently
deny it when confronted by it.

>> Oh come on. Veg*ns ooze their sense of moral superiority like Christians
>> and Buddhists, they use it as part of their locomotion, like slugs. Of
>> course they make a point of not *claiming* moral superiority while doing
>> all they can to ensure that other people get the message loud and clear.
>> Their entire bearing says "we're not claiming to be superior to you, oh
>> no, that would be rude and arrogant and not *nice*, but you do know that
>> you are inferior to us, don't you? You don't? Here, take a pamphlet,
>> it's all in there."

> Since you obviously have a problem with it perhaps you might like to
> give
> veg*ns some advice.

Futile.

> Should they avoid acting in what they consider to
> be the morally superior fashion in case it makes other people feel
> uncomfortable?

The discomfort of others translates into comfort for the vegan.

> Show they avoid trying to educate people whom they
> believe have similar moral values but eat animal products out of
> ignorance?
> How would you act if you agreed with their views about the raising or
> killing of animals?

The only hope for vegans is to sacrifice the comforting feeling they get by
making others uncomfortable while they subject their views to a criticial
assessment. It's not a likely scenario, how many people can give up a sure
sense of moral superiority for a mere hope of intellectual integrity?

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
Dutch

"Martin Willett" > wrote
> Dutch wrote:

> From my own personal experience I know that it is possible to raise
> animals for meat and they have a good life. I have seen it in action, I
> have seen animals being cared for by my mother and by her father. I know
> that farming is not by its fundamental nature cruel.

I agree.

> It can become cruel if the drive to keep down food prices is allowed to
> reduce the standards of husbandry to unacceptible levels. It is the banks
> and supermarket buyers that are determining how cruel farming is.

As consumers I say we share that burden through our complacency.

[..]

>> I would also like to add that it has been a very, very long time
>> since someone new of your caliber has come to these groups to address
>> these issues, I hope you decide to stay a while and share your
>> insights.
>>

> I like the cut of your jib.

Likewise skipper, you have given me quite a few belly laughs.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
Dutch

"ant and dec" > wrote
> Dutch wrote:

>>> I'd like you to answer this point.

>> We all draw the line somewhere. Why do you believe that it is all right
>> to destroy animal populations in order to grow vegetables, fruit, grain,
>> cotton..?

Where is the response to this reply?

>> [..]

>>> This line of thinking is very often pulled apart as being complete BS.
>>> by both camps. I see some have already pointed this out.

>> Why is it complete BS?

> You've already stated why.

Where's the content in that reply?

>>When animals die in crop fields they are often cruelly dismembered or else
>>are poisoned and die slowly of internal hemorrhaging. Why is that all
>>right and a bolt through the brain is not?

> Animals are dismembered, but there is no one deriving any pleasure (being
> cruel) from it.

Are you claiming that death and suffering to animals is acceptable as long
as no cruelty is involved? Most slaughterhouse deaths are not cruel.

> One is easily avoided.

Are you saying that morality hinges on "ease"?

[..]

>>> I think you're blurring the realms of hypothesis and reality under the
>>> pretense of a "joke".

>> I think you are blurring human rights and our relationship with the rest
>> of the animal kingdom under the pretense of "morality".

> Yes we have a moral responsibility to the rest of the animal kingdom.

That is not the same as blurring human rights and our relationship with the
rest of the animal kingdom under the pretense of "morality".

[..]

>>> You claim to observe this moral superiority, yet you can't give any
>>> examples? I think it's a figment of your imagination.

>> You are in denial. Every time a veg*n announces that they don't eat meat,
>> wrinkle their nose sanctimoniously at a piece of meat,

> "wrinkle their nose sanctimoniously"!

Echo

>>agonize rudely about some microscopic bit of animal cells in some
>>condiment,

> "agonize rudely"!

Echo

>>refer to statements like "Meat is Murder", or bring up issues like
>>"slaughterhouses" or "factory farming" in discussion,

> What's wrong with bring-up issues like "slaughterhouses" or "factory
> farming" in a discussion?

It comes down to the motives. Veg*ns derive satisfaction from the discomfort
of others.

>>they are implicitly setting themselves up as moral paragons. In fact
>>another way vegans describe themselves is "Ethical Vegetarians". If you
>>are "ethical" then what am I?

> We have different ethics. "If you are "ethical" then what am I?"

Echo

>> [..]
>>
>>> If mankind
>>> I agree meat was an important part of out human evolution. You and I are
>>> fortunate to have a choice of what we eat. Perhaps more should think
>>> about their choices, in particular what impact those choices have,
>>> rather than blindly follow customs and practice.

>> The practise of abstaining from all animal products in food is no less
>> blindly following custom than any other choice. Perhaps vegetarians
>> should spend more time look closely at the impact of their own food
>> choices instead of just peering self-righteously at the choices others
>> make.

> "peering self-righteously"!

Echo

> I was all inclusive in my statement, yet you have misread it; possibly
> purposly to pull out a dietary sub-set of vegetarians.
>

> This post typifies your modus operandi.
>
> You seem to have labeled me as a ve*gan, and have then go on to seemingly
> purposely misinterpret my posts adding inflammatory words of no value
> except to demonstrate your dislike.
>
> From what I've seen so far your posts rarely add value.

And your non-responses and parroting of my remarks adds value?

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
ant and dec

S. Maizlich wrote:
> ant and dec wrote:
>
>> pearl wrote:

>>> <..>

>>> You're welcome.

>>> If that were the case, carnivores should have massive brains!

>>> Proc Biol Sci. 1998 Oct 22;265(1409):1933-7.
>>> Visual specialization and brain evolution in primates.
>>> Barton RA.
>>> Department of Anthropology, University of Durham, UK.
>>>
>>> Several theories have been proposed to explain the evolution of
>>> species differences in brain size, but no consensus has emerged.
>>> One unresolved question is whether brain size differences are a
>>> result of neural specializations or of biological constraints
>>> affecting the whole brain. Here I show that, among primates,
>>> brain size variation is associated with visual specialization.
>>> Primates with large brains for their body size have relatively
>>> expanded visual brain areas, including the primary visual cortex
>>> and lateral geniculate nucleus. Within the visual system, it is, in
>>> particular, one functionally specialized pathway upon which
>>> selection has acted: evolutionary changes in the number of
>>> neurons in parvocellular, but not magnocellular, layers of the
>>> lateral geniculate nucleus are correlated with changes in both
>>> brain size and ecological variables (diet and social group size).
>>> Given the known functions of the parvocellular pathway, these
>>> results suggest that the relatively large brains of frugivorous
>>> species are products of selection on the ability to perceive
>>> and select fruits using specific visual cues such as colour.
>>> The separate correlation between group size and visual brain
>>> evolution, on the other hand, may indicate the visual basis of
>>> social information processing in the primate brain.
>>>
>>> PMID: 9821360 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
>>> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract
>>>

>> Thanks again.
>>
>> I have moved my position on whether meat had a major part to play in
>> human evolution. I will read more, but on balance there seems little
>> evidence to support that it did.

> It is UNDISPUTED by evolutionary biologists that meat played an
> indispensable role in human evolution. Meat's role was both direct and
> indirect. The direct role was in providing the massive amount of
> protein needed for brain development. The indirect role is as an
> organizing principle of human activity.

I need to investigate more. The reference above seems to give a strong
case for a "visual specialization" evolution and it states that "no
consensus has emerged", but I'm happy learn and admit my ignorance on
brain evolution theories.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
Leif Erikson

ant and dec wrote:

> Martin Willett wrote:
>
>> ant and dec wrote:

>> <snips>

>>> I'd like you to answer this point.
>>>

>> I think you know the answer to that as clearly as I do: pigs are (by
>> quite a distance) the smartest animal I regularly eat, the only thing
>> that comes close is pigeons and since I gave away my shotgun I haven't
>> felt the need to eat any of them.

> I did think that "I'll draw the line just above what I normally eat" was
> the answer. I just thought that you may have another more convincing
> argument, but never mind.

>>> This line of thinking is very often pulled apart as being complete
>>> BS. by both camps. I see some have already pointed this out.
>>>

>> I see. Which part of the argument?

> The BS part.
>
> The porcine hospices? Have you got
>
>> any photographs?

> Ah I see another joke. Ha.....Ha...

>> Like a wet t shirt competition in a stiff easterly breeze.

> I did laugh (really!)

>>> I think you're blurring the realms of hypothesis and reality under
>>> the pretense of a "joke".

>> This evening I'll be blurring the realms of reality with absinthe. But
>> jokes are good too.

> Ah I see another joke. Ha.....Ha...

>>> You claim to observe this moral superiority, yet you can't give any
>>> examples? I think it's a figment of your imagination.
>>>

>> And I think you're being deliberately dense because it suits your
>> cause. Of course vegetarians want and expect to be seen as morally
>> superior, but without asking for it specifically. Can you imagine
>> anybody ever answering the question "did you do that to be seen as
>> morally superior?" in the affirmative? If so please tell me what
>> colour the sky is on your home planet. Of course people do things in
>> order to be seen as better people but equally obviously they will
>> always vehemently deny it. We don't have to believe them.

> It was implicit that you made observations, yet you can't give any
> examples.

Most of the explicit examples of it I've seen are by
former "vegans" who have renounced at least that aspect
of their vegetarianism. Here's one such:
http://www.thevegetariansite.com/ed_nolonger.htm

Most of the rest is exhibited implicitly in the
comments of participants in these newsgroups, among others.

> [...]

>> While you refuse to eat meat a Welsh sheep farmer sucks on his shotgun
>> because he can't pay the bills while another farmer far away takes the
>> money he made from selling you the beans you pretend to enjoy he goes
>> off and buys a chicken. But don't worry, people will think better of
>> you for making your stand and being so moral. It does help you score
>> with the appropriate (to your choice) sex doesn't it?

> Now I'm responsible for a Welsh sheep farmers suicide? Or was that
> another joke; Ha.....Ha...? The impact on any Welsh sheep farmer of my
> choices has been insignificant, if that was the point you were alluding to.
>
> The farmer's just as likely to go out of business because possibly you
> but certainly most others don't give a shit where their meat comes from.
>
> Why don't you answer the points I DID make rather than ones you like to

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
Leif Erikson

ant and dec wrote:

> S. Maizlich wrote:
>
>> ant and dec wrote:

>>> Thanks again.
>>>
>>> I have moved my position on whether meat had a major part to play in
>>> human evolution. I will read more, but on balance there seems little
>>> evidence to support that it did.

>> It is UNDISPUTED by evolutionary biologists that meat played an
>> indispensable role in human evolution. Meat's role was both direct and
>> indirect. The direct role was in providing the massive amount of
>> protein needed for brain development. The indirect role is as an
>> organizing principle of human activity.

> I need to investigate more. The reference above seems to give a strong
> case for a "visual specialization" evolution and it states that "no
> consensus has emerged", but I'm happy learn and admit my ignorance on
> brain evolution theories.

What is not in dispute is that the earliest hominids
and their pre-hominid ancestors *all* naturally ate
meat. To say then that meat played no role in their
evolution is just factually wrong.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
ant and dec

Leif Erikson wrote:
> ant and dec wrote:

snip

>> It was implicit that you made observations, yet you can't give any
>> examples.

> Most of the explicit examples of it I've seen are by former "vegans" who
> have renounced at least that aspect of their vegetarianism. Here's one
> such: http://www.thevegetariansite.com/ed_nolonger.htm

An interesting link. - Best to learn from others mistakes!

> Most of the rest is exhibited implicitly in the comments of participants
> in these newsgroups, among others.

This has been an interesting excursion into this group.

There appears to be the odd village idiot, and some accusing me of
things that they have absolutely no basis for doing so; but I'm
recognising them and will dismiss their posts where appropriate.

snip
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
Martin Willett

dh@. wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 10:09:59 +0000, Martin Willett > wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>We detect the sin of hypocrisy,
>>which for our species seems to be the ultimate sin.

> · Since the animals we raise for food would not be alive
> if we didn't raise them for that purpose, it's a distortion of
> reality not to take that fact into consideration whenever
> we think about the fact that the animals are going to be
> killed. The animals are not being cheated out of any part
> of their life by being raised for food, but instead they are
> experiencing whatever life they get as a result of it. ·
>

>>Eating animals and
>>yet asking not to be eaten ourselves on the grounds that we are sentient
>>animals strikes us as in some way a form of hypocrisy. It probably is.
>>So what? Is hypocrisy the ultimate sin recognized by all sentient
>>lifeforms everywhere? If if it then surely acting like hypocrites would
>>make us less attractive dinner table fare, wouldn't it? We would be less
>>likely to eat a “sinful” species that ate dung and its own young than
>>one that just ate grass, hung around in fields and went moo. Acting like
>>hypocrites would make us appear less tasty and nutritious.

> Maybe they'd kill us as vermin.
>

>>Acting like
>>hypocrites is probably a good survival strategy. Do we eat “wicked”
>>weasels, hyaenas, snakes and tapeworms in preference to “noble” animals
>>like deer and salmon?
>>Which species do we refuse to eat on moral grounds?

> Human.

Unless we really need to.

>>Do we avoid eating all peaceful herbivores? Hardly! In fact if we can
>>see any patterns at all here it is that the more animals an animal eats
>>the less likely it is we will want to eat it ourselves. The only
>>carnivorous species that we eat on a regular basis are fish, animals
>>that some people who call themselves vegetarians even try to redefine as
>>some sort of vegetable. I've news for you veggies, haddock are animals
>>that eat other animals, being cold bloodied, small-eyed and ugly doesn't
>>change anything, fish are not vegetables. If you eat fish you cannot be
>>a vegetarian.
>>
>>We prefer to eat peaceful herbivores, we actively give preference to
>>those animals that eat a 100% pure vegetarian diet of grass. Why do we
>>assume that aliens will prefer to eat old, evil, bitter, twisted and
>>hypocritical animals like us rather than the nice innocent tender baa
>>lambs that we like to eat? It doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.
>>
>>Why don't we eat carnivorous animals?
>>
>>There is no reason why we don't eat carnivorous animals apart from the
>>fact that they are too expensive to farm economically. When dogs are
>>raised to be eaten they are not fed on meat, they are given the cheapest
>>food that will do the job, usually grain, vegetables and kitchen scraps,
>>just like pigs.

> Pigs are omnivores. I'm not even sure if they can digest celulose,
> but I doubt it. Chickens are omnivores. And it's the omnivores like
> chicken, turkey and pork that can really screw you up if you eat it
> undercooked. I'm guessing because of similarity in digestive systems
> or something like that, but never have heard anyone say anything
> about it.

Cows can't digest cellulose either. That seems to be rather good proof
that if there is a god he's probably not the smartest god he could
possibly be.

--
Martin Willett

http://mwillett.org

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
Leif Erikson

Martin Willett wrote:

> dh@. wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 10:09:59 +0000, Martin Willett
>> > wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> We detect the sin of hypocrisy, which for our species seems to be the
>>> ultimate sin.

>> · Since the animals we raise for food would not be alive
>> if we didn't raise them for that purpose, it's a distortion of
>> reality not to take that fact into consideration whenever
>> we think about the fact that the animals are going to be
>> killed. The animals are not being cheated out of any part of their
>> life by being raised for food, but instead they are experiencing
>> whatever life they get as a result of it. ·

This is ****wit's own unique and turgid restatement of
the (Il)Logic of the Larder, a nonsense to which he
subscribes.

>>> Eating animals and yet asking not to be eaten ourselves on the
>>> grounds that we are sentient animals strikes us as in some way a form
>>> of hypocrisy. It probably is. So what? Is hypocrisy the ultimate sin
>>> recognized by all sentient lifeforms everywhere? If if it then surely
>>> acting like hypocrites would make us less attractive dinner table
>>> fare, wouldn't it? We would be less likely to eat a “sinful” species
>>> that ate dung and its own young than one that just ate grass, hung
>>> around in fields and went moo. Acting like hypocrites would make us
>>> appear less tasty and nutritious.

>> Maybe they'd kill us as vermin.
>>

>>> Acting like hypocrites is probably a good survival strategy. Do we
>>> eat “wicked” weasels, hyaenas, snakes and tapeworms in preference to
>>> “noble” animals like deer and salmon?
>>> Which species do we refuse to eat on moral grounds?

>> Human.
>>

> Unless we really need to.

In western civilization, there is a strong repulsion to
eating human corpses, even when necessary to survive.
However, no western society condones *killing* humans
for food even for survival.

>>> Do we avoid eating all peaceful herbivores? Hardly! In fact if we can
>>> see any patterns at all here it is that the more animals an animal
>>> eats the less likely it is we will want to eat it ourselves. The only
>>> carnivorous species that we eat on a regular basis are fish, animals
>>> that some people who call themselves vegetarians even try to redefine
>>> as some sort of vegetable. I've news for you veggies, haddock are
>>> animals that eat other animals, being cold bloodied, small-eyed and
>>> ugly doesn't change anything, fish are not vegetables. If you eat
>>> fish you cannot be a vegetarian.
>>>
>>> We prefer to eat peaceful herbivores, we actively give preference to
>>> those animals that eat a 100% pure vegetarian diet of grass. Why do
>>> we assume that aliens will prefer to eat old, evil, bitter, twisted
>>> and hypocritical animals like us rather than the nice innocent tender
>>> baa lambs that we like to eat? It doesn't make the slightest bit of
>>> sense.
>>>
>>> Why don't we eat carnivorous animals?
>>>
>>> There is no reason why we don't eat carnivorous animals apart from
>>> the fact that they are too expensive to farm economically. When dogs
>>> are raised to be eaten they are not fed on meat, they are given the
>>> cheapest food that will do the job, usually grain, vegetables and
>>> kitchen scraps, just like pigs.

>> Pigs are omnivores. I'm not even sure if they can digest celulose,
>> but I doubt it. Chickens are omnivores. And it's the omnivores like
>> chicken, turkey and pork that can really screw you up if you eat it
>> undercooked. I'm guessing because of similarity in digestive systems
>> or something like that, but never have heard anyone say anything
>> about it.

> Cows can't digest cellulose either. That seems to be rather good proof
> that if there is a god he's probably not the smartest god he could
> possibly be.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
Martin Willett

S. Maizlich wrote:

> It is UNDISPUTED by evolutionary biologists that meat played an
> indispensable role in human evolution. Meat's role was both direct and
> indirect. The direct role was in providing the massive amount of
> protein needed for brain development. The indirect role is as an
> organizing principle of human activity.

The organizational role is absolutely critical. There is no reason for a
vegetarian species to develop sophisticated communication because they
don't have anything sophisticated to communicate. Fruits and tubers
don't require teamwork or sophisticated tools to subdue, but our
ancestors brought down mammoths, give them some respect.

Belittling the role of meat and hunting in evolution is as much
pseudo-science as creationism is. The collection of snippets of research
here and there that seem to offer some suggestion of support for a pre
decided stance is the antithesis of the scientific method.

Human evolution required meat eating and hunting. That is not to say
that man was ever exclusively carnivorous, the only largely carnivorous
hominid was /Homo neanderthalensis/, who was almost as carnivorous as a
polar bear. But as far as anybody can tell all our direct ancestors were
omnivorous but more carnivorous than modern chimpanzees and that change
in diet was significant for the development of larger brains both in
allowing expansion and requiring it.

--
Martin Willett

http://mwillett.org
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
ant and dec

ant and dec wrote:
> Martin Willett wrote:

snip

>> I like the cut of your jib.
>>
>> (In case you're not familiar with that phrase I'm sure the origin is
>> nautical and has nothing to do with butchery.)
>>
>> I think I have just worked out a new moral principle that is better
>> than the not eating anything smarter than a pig principle but also has
>> the same virtue of not making me change my ways and not painting me as
>> a hypocrite in the front of ravenous aliens: I'll not kill or
>> contribute to the death of any animal for food purposes /if that
>> animal is clearly capable of making a moral choice/, unless they have
>> given me explicit permission.
>>

> What prompted this rethink?
>
> Your lack of response in other threads in interesting. - Perhaps you're
> more suited to 'debating' with a sycophant.

You do have a right to remain silent, but that does leave people to
draw their own conclusions.

> What difference does the ability to make a moral choice have on your
> want to kill and eat a species?
>
> Do you *know* that a pig can not differentiate between right and wrong?

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
pearl

"Leif Erikson" > wrote in message k.net...
> ant and dec wrote:
>
> > S. Maizlich wrote:

<..>
> [...]

My pleasure. Thanks for bringing it up. The "Christmas
Lecture" on Ch5 is frankly driving me up the wall. grrr.

Apart from helping humans survive times of scarcity, ..no.

'The historical role of meat in human diets has probably varied
significantly, as Jared Diamond, who is an authority on human
evolution, points out:

..... while early humans ate some meat, we do not know how
much meat they ate, nor whether they got the meat by hunting
or scavenging. It is not until much later, around 100,000 years
ago, that we have good evidence about human hunting skills,
and it is clear that humans then were still very ineffective
big-game hunters. Human hunters of 500,000 years ago and
earlier must have been more ineffective.
Western male writers and anthropologists are not the only men
with an exaggerated view of hunting. In New Guinea I have lived
with real hunters, men who recently emerged from the stone age.
..... To listen to my New Guinea friends, you would think that
they eat fresh kangaroo for dinner every night and do little each
day except hunt. In fact, when pressed for details, most New
Guinea hunters admit that they have bagged only a few
kangaroos in their whole life.
The Rise and Fall of the Third Chimpazee, Jared Diamond, 1991,
pp.33-34

In The Origin of Humankind, Richard Leakey mentions Lewis
Binford, who suggested that systematic hunting of any kind
began to appear only when modern humans evolved, giving
dates of 45,000 to 38,000 years ago.

(We now know that modern humans were roaming
Africa at least around 195,000 years ago. / 'pearl')

What is obvious is that a mother and her infant cannot engage
in hunting, or any other arduous food gathering activity. Of all
the primate foods, fruits are the most easily gathered. They may
be obtained without the use of digging or cracking tools, climbing,
and digested with no need for hind-gut fermentation, such as is
the case with foliage. Most significantly, it is the feeding limitations
of the nursing mother which determine what foods she, and her
offspring will have continually available.
Given a plentiful supply of fruits the mother does not have to
risk expending much of her effort obtaining difficult to get foods
like raw animal flesh, insects, nuts and roots. Furthermore, fruits
contain abundant supplies of sugars which the brain solely uses
for energy. The mother who's genes better dispose her for an
easy life on fruits would have an advantage of those who do not,
and similarly, the fruit species which is the best food for mother
and child nutrition, would tend to be selected for. There is now
little doubt amongst distinguished biologists that fruit has been
the most significant dietary constituent in the evolution of humans.
....'
http://tinyurl.com/dahps

> >> It is UNDISPUTED by evolutionary biologists that meat played an
> >> indispensable role in human evolution. Meat's role was both direct and
> >> indirect. The direct role was in providing the massive amount of
> >> protein needed for brain development. The indirect role is as an
> >> organizing principle of human activity.

'What are the essential biochemical properties of human metabolism
which distinguish us from our non-human primate relatives? One, at
least, is our uniquely low protein requirement as described by Olav
T. Oftedal who says:

"Human milk has the lowest protein concentration (about 7% of energy)
of any primate milk that has been studied. In general, it appears that
primates produce small daily amounts of a relatively dilute milk (Oftedal
1984). Thus the protein and energy demands of lactation are probably
low for primates by comparison to the demands experienced by many
other mammals."
The nutritional consequences of foraging in primates:
the relationship of nutrient intakes to nutrient requirements, p.161
Philosophical Transactions: Biological Sciences vol 334, 159-295,
No. 1270

One might imagine that given our comparatively 'low protein' milk,
we would not be able to grow very fast. In fact, as the image on the
right shows, human infants show very rapid growth, especially of
the brain, during the first year of life. Human infants are born a full
year earlier than they would be projected to, based on comparisons
with other animals. This is because of the large size their brains reach.
A human infant grows at the rate of 9 kg/year at birth, falling to
3.5 kg/year a year later. Thereafter its growth rate is about half that
of a chimpanzees at 2 kg/year vs. about 4.5 kg/year. Humans are
relatively half as bulky as the other great apes, thus allowing nutrients
to be directed at brain development and the diet to be less demanding.
The advantages of such an undemanding metabolism are clear.
Humans delay their growth because they 'catch up' later, during
puberty as seen on the graph. Even so, the growth rate never reaches
that of a newborn infant who grows best by only eating breast milk.
According to Exequiel M. Patińo and Juan T. Borda 'Primate milks
contain on the average 13% solids, of which 6.5% is lactose, 3.8%
lipids, 2.4% proteins, and 0.2% ash. Lactose is the largest component
of the solids, and protein is a lesser one'. They also say that 'milks of
humans and Old World monkeys have the highest percentages of
sugar (an average of 6.9%)' and when comparing human and non
human primate milks, they have similar proportions of solids, but
human milks has more sugar and fat whereas the non human primate
milks have much more protein. They continue 'In fact, human milk
has the lowest concentration of proteins (1.0%) of all the species
of primates.' Patińo and Borda present their research in order to
allow other primatologists to construct artificial milks as a substitute
for the real thing for captive primates. It is to be expected that these
will have similar disasterous consequences as the feeding of artificial
bovine, and other false milks, has had on human infants.

Patińo and Borda also present a table which compares primate milks.
This table is shown below and identifies the distinctive lower protein
requirements of humans. [see link]

Undoubtedly these gross metabolic differences between humans
and other mammals must have system wide implications for our
metabolism. They allow us to feed heavily on fruits, and may
restrict other species from choosing them. Never the less, many
nutritional authorities suggest that adult humans need nearly double
(12% of calorific value) their breast milk levels of protein, although
it is accepted that infant protein requirements for growth are triple
those of adults. The use of calorific values might also confuse the
issue since human milk is highly dilute (1% protein), and clearly
eating foods that might be 25 times this concentration, such as
meat, are massive excesses if constantly ingested. Certainly the
body might manage to deal with this excess without suffering
immediate problems, but this is not proof of any beneficial
adaptation. It also needs to be pointed out that berries, such as
raspberries, may yield up to 21% of their calorific value from
protein, but are not regarded as 'good sources' of protein by
nutritional authorites. There are millions of fruits available to
wild animals, and blanked generalisations about the qualities
of certain food groups, need to be examined carefully, due to
some misconceptions arising from the limited commercial fruits
which we experience in the domestic state.

The weaning of a fruigivorous primate would clearly demand
the supply of a food with nutritional characteristics similar to
those of the mothers milk. We must realise that supportive
breast feeding may continue for up to 9 or 10 years in some
'primitive' peoples, and this is more likely to be representative
of our evolutionary history than the 6 month limit often found
in modern cultures. This premature weaning should strike any
aware naturalist as being a disasterous activity, inflicting untold
damage. However, what we do know of the consequences is
that it reduces the IQ and disease resistance of the child, and
that the substitute of unnatural substances, like wheat and
dairy products, is pathogenic.

Finally we need to compare some food group compositions
with human milk in order to establish if any statistical similarity
exists. This would demonstrate that modern humans have
inherited their ancient fruigivourous metabolism. This data is
examined below in the final sections of the article.
.....'
http://tinyurl.com/dahps

> > I need to investigate more. The reference above seems to give a strong
> > case for a "visual specialization" evolution and it states that "no
> > consensus has emerged", but I'm happy learn and admit my ignorance on
> > brain evolution theories.

'There is a popular notion that anthropology can offer useful
insights for forming the basis of a dietary philosophy.
Anthropology is a science which is only just starting to mature,
previously having been little more that a systematic, but lose,
body of "say-so" information which attempted to explain our
species history and origins. With advances in dating methods,
including DNA analysis and more fossil finds, the science is
now embarking on its integration with biology. Previously,
anthropology was a pseudo-scientific marriage of traditional
views attempting to link the findings of robust sciences, such
as geology, palaeontology and archaeology. However, even
though anthropologists like Richard Leakey are aware that
their 'science' is often "based on unspoken assumptions"
(The Making of Mankind, p. 82, R. Leakey), they show that
they will persist in making them.

Anthropologies 'Man The Hunter' concept is still used as a
reason for justifying the consumption of animal flesh as food.
This has even extended as far as suggesting that animal foods
have enabled or caused human brain enlargement. Allegedly
this is because of the greater availability of certain kinds of fats
and the sharing behaviour associated with eating raw animal
food. The reality is that through natural selection, the
environmental factors our species have been exposed to
selected for greater brain development, long before raw animal
flesh became a significant part of our ancient ancestors diet.
The elephant has also developed a larger brain than the human
brain, on a diet primarily consisting of fermented foliage and
fruits. It is my hypothesis that it is eating fruits and perhaps
blossoms, that has, if anything, contributed the most in allowing
humans to develop relatively larger brains than other species.
The ability of humans to develop normal brains with a dietary
absence of animal products is also noted.
....'
http://tinyurl.com/dahps

> What is not in dispute is that the earliest hominids
> and their pre-hominid ancestors *all* naturally ate
> meat. To say then that meat played no role in their
> evolution is just factually wrong.

You cannot support your *claims* with evidence, ball.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
pearl

"Martin Willett" > wrote in message ...
> S. Maizlich wrote:
>

> > It is UNDISPUTED by evolutionary biologists that meat played an
> > indispensable role in human evolution. Meat's role was both direct and
> > indirect. The direct role was in providing the massive amount of
> > protein needed for brain development. The indirect role is as an
> > organizing principle of human activity.

> The organizational role is absolutely critical. There is no reason for a
> vegetarian species to develop sophisticated communication because they
> don't have anything sophisticated to communicate. Fruits and tubers
> don't require teamwork or sophisticated tools to subdue, but our
> ancestors brought down mammoths, give them some respect.
>
> Belittling the role of meat and hunting in evolution is as much
> pseudo-science as creationism is. The collection of snippets of research
> here and there that seem to offer some suggestion of support for a pre
> decided stance is the antithesis of the scientific method.
>
> Human evolution required meat eating and hunting. That is not to say
> that man was ever exclusively carnivorous, the only largely carnivorous
> hominid was /Homo neanderthalensis/, who was almost as carnivorous as a
> polar bear. But as far as anybody can tell all our direct ancestors were
> omnivorous but more carnivorous than modern chimpanzees and that change
> in diet was significant for the development of larger brains both in
> allowing expansion and requiring it.

"It is highly probable that plant foods were indeed the major part
of the early hominid economy, and unequivocal evidence for hunting
as against scavenging carrion does not appear until relatively late in
the fossil record, probably not earlier than half-a-million years ago."
Leakey, The Making of Mankind

Frugivory is an intellectually demanding feeding behaviour demanding
the development of strategic planning, whereas the folivores feeding
behavior engages relatively simple tactics. According to Caroline E. G.
Tutin et al. 'Allometric analyses suggest a relation between brain size
(relative to body mass) and diet, with frugivores having relatively larger
brains . . . Maintaining a frugivorous diet presents huge intellectual
challenges of memory and spatial mapping compared with the relative
ease of harvesting abundant foliage foods.' Tutin et al. also say that:

"Studies of frugivorous communities elsewhere suggest that dietary
divergence is highest when preferred food (succulent fruit) is scarce,
and that niche separation is clear only at such times (Gautier-Hion &
Gautier 1979: Terborgh 1983). "
Foraging profiles of sympatric lowland gorillas and chimpanzees in
the Lopé Reserve, Gabon, p.179, Philosophical Transactions:
Biological Sciences vol 334, 159-295, No. 1270
....'
http://tinyurl.com/dahps

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
Leif Erikson

pearl wrote:

> "Leif Erikson" > wrote in message k.net...
>
>>ant and dec wrote:

> <..>

> My pleasure. Thanks for bringing it up. The "Christmas
> Lecture" on Ch5 is frankly driving me up the wall. grrr.

No one cares, whore.

> Apart from helping humans survive times of scarcity, ..no.

False. Humans evolved as a meat-eating species from
the outset.

> [...crap...]
>
>>>I need to investigate more. The reference above seems to give a strong
>>>case for a "visual specialization" evolution and it states that "no
>>>consensus has emerged", but I'm happy learn and admit my ignorance on
>>>brain evolution theories.

> 'There is a popular notion that anthropology can offer useful
> insights for forming the basis of a dietary philosophy.

It's what *you* do with your ****witted "frugivory"
bullshit.

>>What is not in dispute is that the earliest hominids
>>and their pre-hominid ancestors *all* naturally ate
>>meat. To say then that meat played no role in their
>>evolution is just factually wrong.

> You cannot support your *claims* with evidence

Been there, done it.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
Leif Erikson

pearl wrote:

> "Martin Willett" > wrote in message ...
>
>>S. Maizlich wrote:
>>

>>>It is UNDISPUTED by evolutionary biologists that meat played an
>>>indispensable role in human evolution. Meat's role was both direct and
>>>indirect. The direct role was in providing the massive amount of
>>>protein needed for brain development. The indirect role is as an
>>>organizing principle of human activity.

>>The organizational role is absolutely critical. There is no reason for a
>>vegetarian species to develop sophisticated communication because they
>>don't have anything sophisticated to communicate. Fruits and tubers
>>don't require teamwork or sophisticated tools to subdue, but our
>>ancestors brought down mammoths, give them some respect.
>>
>>Belittling the role of meat and hunting in evolution is as much
>>pseudo-science as creationism is. The collection of snippets of research
>>here and there that seem to offer some suggestion of support for a pre
>>decided stance is the antithesis of the scientific method.
>>
>>Human evolution required meat eating and hunting. That is not to say
>>that man was ever exclusively carnivorous, the only largely carnivorous
>>hominid was /Homo neanderthalensis/, who was almost as carnivorous as a
>>polar bear. But as far as anybody can tell all our direct ancestors were
>>omnivorous but more carnivorous than modern chimpanzees and that change
>>in diet was significant for the development of larger brains both in
>>allowing expansion and requiring it.

> "It is highly probable that plant foods were indeed the major part
> of the early hominid economy, and unequivocal evidence for hunting
> as against scavenging carrion does not appear until relatively late in
> the fossil record, probably not earlier than half-a-million years ago."

Humans hunted from the beginning. Chimpanzees have
*always* hunted as well.

> Frugivory is an intellectually demanding feeding behaviour

Bullshit.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
pearl

"Leif Erikson" > wrote in message k.net...

pearl wrote
<..>
> > "It is highly probable that plant foods were indeed the major part
> > of the early hominid economy, and unequivocal evidence for hunting
> > as against scavenging carrion does not appear until relatively late in
> > the fossil record, probably not earlier than half-a-million years ago."

> Humans hunted from the beginning.

'... while early humans ate some meat, we do not know how
much meat they ate, nor whether they got the meat by hunting
or scavenging. It is not until much later, around 100,000 years
ago, that we have good evidence about human hunting skills,
and it is clear that humans then were still very ineffective
big-game hunters. Human hunters of 500,000 years ago and
earlier must have been more ineffective.
http://tinyurl.com/dahps

> Chimpanzees have *always* hunted as well.

'According to Tuttle, the first substantive information on chimp diets
was provided by Nissen in 1931 (p.75). In 1930 Nissen spent 75
days of a 3-month period tracking and observing chimps. He made
direct unquantified observations and examined fecal deposits and
leftovers at feeding sites. He also found "no evidence that they ate
honey, eggs or animal prey" - this observation may have been too
limited due to seasonal variations in the chimp diet.

In Reynolds and Reynolds (1965), Tuttle says that a 300 hour
study of Budongo Forest chimps over an 8-month period revealed
"no evidence for avian eggs, termites or vertebrates", although
they thought that insects formed 1% of their diet (p.81).

In another study of Budongo Forest chimps from 1966 to 1967,
Sugiyama did not observe "meat-eating or deliberate captures
of arthropods", although he reported that "the chimpanzees
did ingest small insects that infested figs" (p.82).

Tuttle says that later observations at Budongo by Suzuki revealed
meat eating. Where the earlier observations wrong, or incomplete,
or maybe an accurate reflection of their diet at the time? Did the
chimps change their diet later? We do not know. Chimps sometimes
change their diets on a monthly basis. A study of chimps at the
Kabogo Point region from 1961 to 1962 by Azuma and Toyoshima,
revealed that they witnessed "only one instance of chimpanzees
ingesting animal food, vis. termites or beetles from rotten wood."
(p.87).

From 1963 to 1964, similar observations were found in Kasakati
Basin by a Kyoto University team, and when Izawa and Itani published
in 1966 they reported "no chimpanzees eating insects, vertebrates,
avian eggs, soil or tree leaves and found no trace in the 14 stools
that they inspected " (p.86). In contrast Kawabe and Suzuki found
the Kasakati chimps hunting in the same year (p.88), although only
14 of 174 fecal samples contained traces of insects and other animal
foods. So perhaps these differing observations are due to seasonal
variation, or even local differences (cultural variation) in feeding
preferences - Tuttle does not reveal which. Maybe some of the chimps
groups are 'vegetarian', while other are not. But see the Kortlandt
observations below before believing that all chimps are meat-eaters.

Far less is known about bonobo feeding habits than about the
common chimpanzee. Like chimps, the bonobo is also known
to eat insects and carrion, although unlike chimps it has not been
observed to hunt. Kano and Mulavwa provided the most detailed
account of the feeding behaviour of Wamba bonobos based on
a 4-month study. Tuttle reports that their diet was 80% fruit pulp,
15% fibrous foods and 5% seeds, and that "Animal foods
constituted a minute part of their fare" (p.95).

The best evidence, if there is any, of a "vegetarian" ape is the
gorilla. As with the other apes, there is great variation in what
gorillas eat based on their locality, and season. A 15-month
study of gorillas at Campo by Calvert, is reported by Tuttle
(p.100), in which he says that out of 280 stools, 1 example of
stomach contents and 1400 feeding sites, plus direct
observations, there was "no evidence" that "Campo gorillas
ingested animal matter." Similarly, Casimir and Butenandt
followed a group about 20 gorillas at Kahuzi during 15 months
in 1971 to 1972 (Tuttle, ibid., p.102). They collected 43 fecal
samples at fairly regular intervals but none "contained remains
of vertebrates or invertebrates". In addition, the gorillas did
not disturb active birds and honeybee nests that were clearly
visible near their own nests. Nor did they unearth bee nests.
Goodall also noted that Kahuzi gorillas ignored eggs and
fledglings and did not invade bees nests (Tuttle, ibid., p.105),
and that none of the many fecal samples he found contained
animal remnants. Tuttle also reports that the "most detailed"
study of 10 groups of Zairean Virunga mountain gorillas by
Schaller in 13 months from 1956 to 1960, including fecal
samples and 466 direct hours of observation, found "no
evidence that they raided apian nests, which were common
at Kabara, ingested animal foods, or drank water." (p.107)
In 1959, a 64-day study by Kawai and Mizuhara of gorillas
at Mts. Muhavura and Gahinga also found "no evidence for
animal foods in the gorillas' fare." (p.108)

The story for gorillas is by no means a clear one, as findings
seem to vary from one study to another. You can pick them
to suit your agenda. For example, Adriaan Kortlandt says in
'Food Acquisition And Processing In Primates', page 133-135,
that "Gorillas have never been observed to eat honey, eggs,
insects or meat, not even when they were sitting or nesting
almost on top of honeycomb or a bird's nest, except for
one single case of honey-eating reported by Sabater-Pi (1960)"
He adds however, that Fossey (1974) reports that slugs, larvae
and worms were found to constitute 1% of the food item
observations recorded. Kortlandt adds that "No animal remains
have been found in gorilla dung, except for one case presumably
indicating cannibalism (Fossey, 1981)."
Kortlandt states that predation by chimpanzees on vertebrates is
undoubtedly a rather rare phenomenon among rainforest-dwelling
populations of chimpanzees. Kortlandt lists the reasons given below
in his evidence.

# the absence (or virtual absence) of animal matter in the digestive
systems of hundreds of hunted, dissected or otherwise investigated cases
# the rarity of parasites indicating carnivorous habits
# rarity of pertinent field observations
# the responses when he placed live as well as dead potential prey
animals along the chimpanzee paths at Beni (in the poorer environments
of the savanna landscape however, predation on vertebrates appears to
be much more common)

Kortlandt concludes this section on primate diets by saying that
the wealth of flora and insect fauna in the rain-forest provides
both chimpanzees and orang-utans with a dietary spectrum that seems
wide enough to meet their nutritional requirements, without hunting
and killing of vertebrates being necessary. It is in the poorer
nutritional environments, where plant sources may be scarce or of
low quality where carnivorous behaviour arises. Even then he says
that the meat obtained are minimal and perhaps insufficient to meet
basic needs. Finally he adds "The same conclusion applies, of course,
to hominids . . . it is strange that most palaeoanthropologists have
never been willing to accept the elementary facts on this matter
that have emerged from both nutritional science and primate research."
...'
http://tinyurl.com/d8aqw

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
pearl

"Leif Erikson" >

Faking quotes, forged posts, lies, filth, harassment.
http://www.iol.ie/~creature/boiled%20ball.html

The Socialised Psychopath or Sociopath
http://www.bullyonline.org/workbully....htm#Sociopath

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
Leif Erikson

pearl wrote:

> "Leif Erikson" > wrote in message k.net...
>
> pearl wrote
> <..>
>
>>>"It is highly probable that plant foods were indeed the major part
>>>of the early hominid economy, and unequivocal evidence for hunting
>>>as against scavenging carrion does not appear until relatively late in
>>>the fossil record, probably not earlier than half-a-million years ago."

>>Humans hunted from the beginning.

> '... while early humans ate some meat

They ate meat. Period.

e.
> ..
> http://tinyurl.com/dahps

John Coleman's site is ideological crap. "The Obligate
Fruigivore" is a ridiculous proposition, a nonsense.
There is no essential nutritent found *only* in fruit.
Cats are obligate carnivores; there is no such thing
as an "obligate frugivore". Coleman is not a
scientist, he's a polemicist, and so are you.

>>Chimpanzees have *always* hunted as well.

> 'According to Tuttle,

Chimpanzees have *always* hunted.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
Leif Erikson

lesley the foot-rubbing whore in Cork, Ireland shat:

> "Leif Erikson" >
>
> Faking quotes

Faking nothing, you ****ing whore. You're a whore - a
lying, diseased whore.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
pearl

--
"All truth passes through 3 stages.
First, it is ridiculed.
"Leif Erikson" > wrote in message ink.net...
> pearl wrote:
>
> > "Leif Erikson" > wrote in message k.net...
> >
> > pearl wrote
> > <..>

> >>Humans hunted from the beginning.

> > '... while early humans ate some meat we do not know how

much meat they ate, nor whether they got the meat by hunting
or scavenging. It is not until much later, around 100,000 years
ago, that we have good evidence about human hunting skills,
and it is clear that humans then were still very ineffective
big-game hunters. Human hunters of 500,000 years ago and
earlier must have been more ineffective.
http://tinyurl.com/dahps

> They ate meat. Period.

Some did, at times.

'In The Origin of Humankind, Richard Leakey mentions Lewis
Binford, who suggested that systematic hunting of any kind
began to appear only when modern humans evolved, giving
dates of 45,000 to 38,000 years ago.
...'
http://tinyurl.com/dahps

... We now know that modern humans were roaming
Africa at least around 195,000 years ago.

> > ..
> > http://tinyurl.com/dahps

> Jo

Ad hominem.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
S. Maizlich

lesley the foot-rubbing whore of Cork, Ireland lied:

> "Leif Erikson" >
>
> Faking quotes,

Faking nothing, you ****ing whore. You're a whore - a
lying, diseased whore.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
Leif Erikson

pearl wrote:

> "All truth passes through 3 stages...

You wouldn't know. Nothing you've written is truthful.

****ing whore.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
Martin Willett

pearl wrote:
> "Martin Willett" > wrote in message ...
>
>>S. Maizlich wrote:
>>

>>>It is UNDISPUTED by evolutionary biologists that meat played an
>>>indispensable role in human evolution. Meat's role was both direct and
>>>indirect. The direct role was in providing the massive amount of
>>>protein needed for brain development. The indirect role is as an
>>>organizing principle of human activity.

>>The organizational role is absolutely critical. There is no reason for a
>>vegetarian species to develop sophisticated communication because they
>>don't have anything sophisticated to communicate. Fruits and tubers
>>don't require teamwork or sophisticated tools to subdue, but our
>>ancestors brought down mammoths, give them some respect.
>>
>>Belittling the role of meat and hunting in evolution is as much
>>pseudo-science as creationism is. The collection of snippets of research
>>here and there that seem to offer some suggestion of support for a pre
>>decided stance is the antithesis of the scientific method.
>>
>>Human evolution required meat eating and hunting. That is not to say
>>that man was ever exclusively carnivorous, the only largely carnivorous
>>hominid was /Homo neanderthalensis/, who was almost as carnivorous as a
>>polar bear. But as far as anybody can tell all our direct ancestors were
>>omnivorous but more carnivorous than modern chimpanzees and that change
>>in diet was significant for the development of larger brains both in
>>allowing expansion and requiring it.

> "It is highly probable that plant foods were indeed the major part
> of the early hominid economy, and unequivocal evidence for hunting
> as against scavenging carrion does not appear until relatively late in
> the fossil record, probably not earlier than half-a-million years ago."
> Leakey, The Making of Mankind
>
> Frugivory is an intellectually demanding feeding behaviour demanding
> the development of strategic planning, whereas the folivores feeding
> behavior engages relatively simple tactics. According to Caroline E. G.
> Tutin et al. 'Allometric analyses suggest a relation between brain size
> (relative to body mass) and diet, with frugivores having relatively larger
> brains . . . Maintaining a frugivorous diet presents huge intellectual
> challenges of memory and spatial mapping compared with the relative
> ease of harvesting abundant foliage foods.' Tutin et al. also say that:
>
> "Studies of frugivorous communities elsewhere suggest that dietary
> divergence is highest when preferred food (succulent fruit) is scarce,
> and that niche separation is clear only at such times (Gautier-Hion &
> Gautier 1979: Terborgh 1983). "
> Foraging profiles of sympatric lowland gorillas and chimpanzees in
> the Lopé Reserve, Gabon, p.179, Philosophical Transactions:
> Biological Sciences vol 334, 159-295, No. 1270
> ...'
> http://tinyurl.com/dahps

Yes, as I said, the collection and circulation of snippets of
information which support the stance decided upon independently of any
evidence, a stance that needs no support, is the antithesis of the
scientific method.

The copy and paste of chapter and verse citation is absolutely typical
of the Creationist, another species of mass debater which uses
scientific research like a drunk uses a lamppost: more for support than
illumination.

Normally when I come across copy and paste citations in Creationist
rants I copy a section of the text, including the citation, and see how
many times it comes up.

"that niche separation is clear only at such times (Gautier-Hion" 9
hits for Google, 12 for Google Groups. It goes up to 18 if I leave out
the citation. This makes me just a tad suspicious about the quotation. I
wonder if pearl can tell me what the next chapter says? In creationist
circles quotations from scientists that can be interpreted (or
misinterpreted) as supporting their cause, however obliquely, are traded
avidly like relics of the saints and posted by people who haven't a clue
about science but know what they believe.

Our ancestors of course ate fruit for millions of years. This fruit
eating is written all over our bodies, especially in our binocular
vision and excellent colour discrimination. I don't know of any
evolutionary biologists that do not think we evolved from fruit eaters.
Of course we evolved from monkeys, and fruit-eating monkeys are smarter
than animals that eat leaves, who wouldn't expect a monkey to outwit a
sheep? But we left fruit eating behind to become omnivores. Armed with
excellent vision, grasping hands and an agile brain but lacking
offensive or defensive weaponry of any kinds a change in habitat that
led to a reduction in forests (and therefore fruit) and an increase in
open grasslands gave us a push in a new direction. We took to eating
tubers, digging them up with sticks as well as hands, we scavenged
carrion and we killed what we could catch. Over time what we could catch
got bigger, until it encompassed everything we decided we wanted to catch.

You cannot live as a fruit-eater outside of tropical forests for the
simple reason that there are no fruits available for months at a time in
most other environments. There are no fruit-dependent species of mammal
of any kind living in Europe. Temperate zone fruits do get eaten, but
not by fruit-eating specialists like monkeys, which are confined to the
tropics. As modern humans were living well outside the tropics over
100,000 years ago you can conclude that they must have had an omnivorous
diet of some kind, unless you believe breatharians are not charlatans.
They were not big game hunters but they were not vegans or fruitarians
either.

Social cooperation could only have developed through hunting and
meat-sharing. Gathering tubers is no more conducive to cooperation than
collecting fruit, unless you're a naked mole-rat, it is an activity in
which rewards follow efforts quite linearly. In contrast hunting is far
more hit and miss, an excellent hunter can have a bad day not through
idleness but through dumb luck. Cooperation begins to make a lot more
sense. If you bring down an animal too big for you to eat alone you
share it, and convert the calories you couldn't eat into social debts
and obligations. That kind of society makes sense but it requires a
further boost in brains and social skills. Meat helped us to become
sharers and carers. Without meat we would never have become human. Of
course that does not mean we ate a lot of meat or ate more meat than
vegetable-derived calories or even protein, only that meat eating was a
vitally important part of our behaviour.

--
Martin Willett

http://mwillett.org
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
pearl

"Martin Willett" > wrote in message ...
> pearl wrote:

> >>The organizational role is absolutely critical. There is no reason for a
> >>vegetarian species to develop sophisticated communication because they
> >>don't have anything sophisticated to communicate. Fruits and tubers
> >>don't require teamwork or sophisticated tools to subdue, but our
> >>ancestors brought down mammoths, give them some respect.
> >>
> >>Belittling the role of meat and hunting in evolution is as much
> >>pseudo-science as creationism is. The collection of snippets of research
> >>here and there that seem to offer some suggestion of support for a pre
> >>decided stance is the antithesis of the scientific method.
> >>
> >>Human evolution required meat eating and hunting. That is not to say
> >>that man was ever exclusively carnivorous, the only largely carnivorous
> >>hominid was /Homo neanderthalensis/, who was almost as carnivorous as a
> >>polar bear. But as far as anybody can tell all our direct ancestors were
> >>omnivorous but more carnivorous than modern chimpanzees and that change
> >>in diet was significant for the development of larger brains both in
> >>allowing expansion and requiring it.

> > "It is highly probable that plant foods were indeed the major part
> > of the early hominid economy, and unequivocal evidence for hunting
> > as against scavenging carrion does not appear until relatively late in
> > the fossil record, probably not earlier than half-a-million years ago."
> > Leakey, The Making of Mankind
> >
> > Frugivory is an intellectually demanding feeding behaviour demanding
> > the development of strategic planning, whereas the folivores feeding
> > behavior engages relatively simple tactics. According to Caroline E. G.
> > Tutin et al. 'Allometric analyses suggest a relation between brain size
> > (relative to body mass) and diet, with frugivores having relatively larger
> > brains . . . Maintaining a frugivorous diet presents huge intellectual
> > challenges of memory and spatial mapping compared with the relative
> > ease of harvesting abundant foliage foods.' Tutin et al. also say that:
> >
> > "Studies of frugivorous communities elsewhere suggest that dietary
> > divergence is highest when preferred food (succulent fruit) is scarce,
> > and that niche separation is clear only at such times (Gautier-Hion &
> > Gautier 1979: Terborgh 1983). "
> > Foraging profiles of sympatric lowland gorillas and chimpanzees in
> > the Lopé Reserve, Gabon, p.179, Philosophical Transactions:
> > Biological Sciences vol 334, 159-295, No. 1270
> > ...'
> > http://tinyurl.com/dahps
> >

> Yes, as I said, the collection and circulation of snippets of
> information which support the stance decided upon independently of any
> evidence, a stance that needs no support, is the antithesis of the
> scientific method.

The information is based on evidence.

> The copy and paste of chapter and verse citation is absolutely typical
> of the Creationist, another species of mass debater which uses
> scientific research like a drunk uses a lamppost: more for support than
> illumination.
>
> Normally when I come across copy and paste citations in Creationist
> rants I copy a section of the text, including the citation, and see how
> many times it comes up.

Waffle.

> "that niche separation is clear only at such times (Gautier-Hion" 9
> hits for Google, 12 for Google Groups. It goes up to 18 if I leave out
> the citation. This makes me just a tad suspicious about the quotation. I
> wonder if pearl can tell me what the next chapter says? In creationist
> circles quotations from scientists that can be interpreted (or
> misinterpreted) as supporting their cause, however obliquely, are traded
> avidly like relics of the saints and posted by people who haven't a clue
> about science but know what they believe.
>
> Our ancestors of course ate fruit for millions of years. This fruit
> eating is written all over our bodies, especially in our binocular
> vision and excellent colour discrimination. I don't know of any
> evolutionary biologists that do not think we evolved from fruit eaters.
> Of course we evolved from monkeys, and fruit-eating monkeys are smarter
> than animals that eat leaves, who wouldn't expect a monkey to outwit a
> sheep? But we left fruit eating behind to become omnivores. Armed with
> excellent vision, grasping hands and an agile brain but lacking
> offensive or defensive weaponry of any kinds a change in habitat that
> led to a reduction in forests (and therefore fruit) and an increase in
> open grasslands gave us a push in a new direction. We took to eating
> tubers, digging them up with sticks as well as hands, we scavenged
> carrion and we killed what we could catch. Over time what we could catch
> got bigger, until it encompassed everything we decided we wanted to catch.

'Ethnographic parallels with modern hunter-gatherer communities have
been taken to show that the colder the climate, the greater the reliance
on meat. There are sound biological and economic reasons for this, not
least in the ready availability of large amounts of fat in arctic mammals.
From this, it has been deduced that the humans of the glacial periods
were primarily hunters, while plant foods were more important during
the interglacials. '
http://www.phancocks.pwp.blueyonder..../devensian.htm

'Anthropologically speaking, humans were high consumers of calcium
until the onset of the Agricultural Age, 10,000 years ago. Current
calcium intake is one-quarter to one-third that of our evolutionary diet
and, if we are genetically identical to the Late Paleolithic Homo sapiens,
we may be consuming a calcium-deficient diet our bodies cannot adjust
to by physiologic mechanisms.

The anthropological approach says, with the exception of a few small
changes related to genetic blood diseases, that humans are basically
identical biologically and medically to the hunter-gatherers of the late
Paleolithic Era.17 During this period, calcium content of the diet was
much higher than it is currently. Depending on the ratio of animal to
plant foods, calcium intake could have exceeded 2000 mg per day.17
Calcium was largely derived from wild plants, which had a very high
calcium content; animal protein played a small role, and the use of dairy
products did not come into play until the Agricultural Age 10,000 years
ago. Compared to the current intake of approximately 500 mg per day
for women age 20 and over in the United States,18 hunter-gatherers had
a significantly higher calcium intake and apparently much stronger bones.
As late as 12,000 years ago, Stone Age hunters had an average of
17-percent more bone density (as measured by humeral cortical
thickness). Bone density also appeared to be stable over time with
an apparent absence of osteoporosis.17

High levels of calcium excretion via renal losses are seen with both
high salt and high protein diets, in each case at levels common in the
United States.10,11
..
The only hunter-gatherers that seemed to fall prey to bone loss
were the aboriginal Inuit (Eskimos). Although their physical
activity level was high, their osteoporosis incidence exceeded
even present-day levels in the United States. The Inuit diet was
high in phosphorus and protein and low in calcium.20
....'
http://www.thorne.com/altmedrev/full...alcium4-2.html

> You cannot live as a fruit-eater outside of tropical forests for the
> simple reason that there are no fruits available for months at a time in
> most other environments. There are no fruit-dependent species of mammal
> of any kind living in Europe. Temperate zone fruits do get eaten, but
> not by fruit-eating specialists like monkeys, which are confined to the
> tropics. As modern humans were living well outside the tropics over
> 100,000 years ago you can conclude that they must have had an omnivorous
> diet of some kind, unless you believe breatharians are not charlatans.
> They were not big game hunters but they were not vegans or fruitarians
> either.

These days there's nothing to prevent most people being vegan.

> Social cooperation could only have developed through hunting and
> meat-sharing. Gathering tubers is no more conducive to cooperation than
> collecting fruit, unless you're a naked mole-rat, it is an activity in
> which rewards follow efforts quite linearly. In contrast hunting is far
> more hit and miss, an excellent hunter can have a bad day not through
> idleness but through dumb luck.

How is that cooperating with those who are left to actually
provide for the urgent needs of dependants - the women?

Sounds like a way of getting out of the real work to me.

> Cooperation begins to make a lot more
> sense. If you bring down an animal too big for you to eat alone you
> share it, and convert the calories you couldn't eat into social debts
> and obligations.

One large animal every thirty hunter days between everyone won't go far.

> That kind of society makes sense but it requires a
> further boost in brains and social skills. Meat helped us to become
> sharers and carers. Without meat we would never have become human.

You're wrong. Compassion is supposedly a human trait. Where's yours?

> Of course that does not mean we ate a lot of meat or ate more meat than
> vegetable-derived calories or even protein, only that meat eating was a
> vitally important part of our behaviour.

I helped us survive in times of need. Be grateful.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
Leif Erikson

the unethical foot-rubbing whore Lesley of Cork, Ireland lied:

> "Leif Erikson" >
>
> Faking quotes,

Faking nothing, you goddamned lying whore. You are a chronic liar.