Posted to alt.food.vegan
Carr 277

Default B12: How much?

How much B12 here does everyone take? I'm taking a 2000 microgram
lozenge sublingually twice a week.

Posted to alt.food.vegan
Steve

Carr 277 wrote:
> How much B12 here does everyone take? I'm taking a 2000 microgram
> lozenge sublingually twice a week.

http://veganhealth.org/

Steve

Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"
Posted to alt.food.vegan
Joe

On 3 Dec 2005 05:45:47 -0800, "Dave" > wrote:

>Joe wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 19:48:27 -0800, (Carr 277)
>> wrote:
>>
>> >How much B12 here does everyone take? I'm taking a 2000 microgram
>> >lozenge sublingually twice a week.

>> I suppose I get enough as a lacto-vegetarian. A general intake between
>> 50-2000 mcg is considered safe.
>>
>> B12 seems to be one of the few nutrients that has a toxicity level.
>>
>> Check a thread by Yaj posted 2 days ago. 'Thinking about going on a
>> Vegan diet'. Then look at the post by Jerry Story for some detailed
>> info regarding B12 and vegans,

>Eh? Don't all nutrients have a toxicity level? For B12 it is rather
>high
>compared with the RDA.

Not with B12 it seems. A wildcard. It's very very unusual as far as
nutrients go I know. 2000 mcg would be a level prescribed by
professionals for those having a deficiency. Even 50mcg is more than
needed for a general daily average.
Other than that there is no data claims B12 even has a toxicity level.
All the valid data available actually states no toxicity levels.

>> ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Posted to alt.food.vegan
Joe

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 04:14:20 GMT, Beach Runner > wrote:

>The only reliable and recommended method is to get B12 tested. It
>should be part of everyone's annual blood work-up. My father, not a
>vegetarian for example, has low levels of B12. It's simple, when you
>get your annual blood workup, get your B12 levels tested.
>
>Mine were, after a 30 years of vegan diet low normal and I decided to
>supplement it. Now, if the only sources were meat, and I'd been a vegan
>for 30 years, why have within normal range? There remains controversy,
>as the ultimate source of all B12 is bacteria. I don't have a simple
>answer. Regardless, I have selected to supplement it. It would seem
>for everyone to get a baseline.

Good idea testing.
Amongst the few vegetable sources a vegan/non
lacto/ovo-lacto-vegetarian can get B12 would be tempeh or seaweed and
even those yield scant amounts.