Posted to alt.food.vegan
Michael Balarama

Default What Is Shellac?

I know everyone knows this -but I was shocked that shellac was made from
bugs--were going to use it on our floors--not any more...
Michael
What Is Shellac?

Shellac is an animal product. The basic material comes from the Coccus
lacca, a scale insect that feeds on certain trees in India and southern
Asia. After feeding, the insect produces through its pores a gummy substance
which hardens into a protective covering called lac. This lac is collected
and then it is crushed, washed and dried. After further treatment, it is
skillfully drawn into thin sheets of finished shellac. Many products such as
phonograph records, sealing wax, fireworks, and electrical insulators and
instruments have shellac in their composition. When mixed with alcohol,
shellac forms ordinary varnish.

Soon after the scale insect is hatched, it leaves its birthplace and begins
to wander about, looking for a likely place to settle down. It finds this
place at last upon a stem or a leaf or the outside of a fruit. It inserts
its sharp little beak in the tissue and then settles down for a lifetime of
sucking at this particular spot.

It is soon covered by a substance that it secretes or gives forth from its
body - a substance that in certain species looks like wax, in others like
cotton, in still others like powder. The growing insect sheds one skin after
another; these skins form a rounded little scale, held in place by the
secreted substance.

Posted to alt.food.vegan
rick

"Michael Balarama" > wrote in message
et...
>I know everyone knows this -but I was shocked that shellac was
>made from
> bugs--were going to use it on our floors--not any more...
> Michael
> What Is Shellac?
>
> Shellac is an animal product. The basic material comes from the
> Coccus
> lacca, a scale insect that feeds on certain trees in India and
> southern
> Asia. After feeding, the insect produces through its pores a
> gummy substance
> which hardens into a protective covering called lac. This lac
> is collected
> and then it is crushed, washed and dried. After further
> treatment, it is
> skillfully drawn into thin sheets of finished shellac. Many
> products such as
> phonograph records, sealing wax, fireworks, and electrical
> insulators and
> instruments have shellac in their composition. When mixed with
> alcohol,
> shellac forms ordinary varnish.
>
> Soon after the scale insect is hatched, it leaves its
> birthplace and begins
> to wander about, looking for a likely place to settle down. It
> finds this
> place at last upon a stem or a leaf or the outside of a fruit.
> It inserts
> its sharp little beak in the tissue and then settles down for a
> lifetime of
> sucking at this particular spot.
>
> It is soon covered by a substance that it secretes or gives
> forth from its
> body - a substance that in certain species looks like wax, in
> others like
> cotton, in still others like powder. The growing insect sheds
> one skin after
> another; these skins form a rounded little scale, held in place
> by the
> secreted substance.

So, you're not only stupid but a thief, eh killer? Why did you
not attribute the site you got this from and pretend that you
wrote it? Ignorance or dishonesty?

Now, if you were truely concerned about using products that kill
animals, not just bugs, why are you here on usenet, hypocrite?
Or is it that you just want one more item to spew about that
doesn't cause YOU any inconvience?