Old 27-11-2005, 01:53 PM posted to alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian
pearl

Default wife swap vegan episode

"pearl" wrote in message news:...
"usual suspect" wrote in message ...

There is *NO* Biblical case for vegetarianism.

Genesis
1:29 And Elohim said, Behold, I have given you every
herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth,
and every tree, which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed;
to you it shall be for meat.

---
Leviticus 11:42
42Whatsoever goeth upon the belly, and whatsoever
goeth upon all four, or whatsoever hath more feet
among all creeping things that creep upon the earth,
them ye shall not eat;

I have noted that this quote does not belong here.
In context, it is from the long list of animals
which 'thou shalt not eat' in the Pentateuch (the
Five Books of Moses, or 'Torah'). See below.*
--

Jeremiah Chapter 7
21 Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel:

Isaiah Chapter 1
15 And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide
Mine eyes from you; yea, when ye make many prayers,
I will not hear; your hands are full of blood. 16 Wash
you, make you clean, put away the evil of your doings
from before Mine eyes, cease to do evil; 17 Learn to do
well; seek justice, relieve the oppressed, judge the
fatherless, plead for the widow.

Isaiah Chapter 11
9 They shall not hurt nor destroy in all My holy mountain;
for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD,
as the waters cover the sea.

Isaiah Chapter 66
3 He that killeth an ox is as if he slew a man; he that
sacrificeth a lamb, as if he broke a dog's neck; he that
offereth a meal-offering, as if he offered swine's blood;
he that maketh a memorial-offering of frankincense, as
if he blessed an idol; according as they have chosen their
own ways, and their soul delighteth in their abominations;

"I shall be contented with the testimony of Philo on the
present occasion, which he has given about the matter
which I am here explaining in many passages of his
treatises. And now do you take that work which he
has written in defence of the Jewish nation, and read
the following sentences in it.

[Essenes: the name]

(11.1) But our lawgiver (Moses) trained an innumerable
body of his pupils to partake in those things, who are
called Essenes, being, as I imagine, honoured with this
appellation because of their exceeding holiness [Greek
hosioteta = osiothta].

(EGM 75) There is a portion of those people called
Essenes, in number something more than four
thousand in my opinion, who derive their name from
their piety [Greek hosiotetos = osiothtoV], though not
according to any accurate form of the Grecian dialect,
because they are above all men devoted to the service
[therapeutai] of God, not sacrificing living animals, but
studying rather to preserve their own minds in a state
of holiness and purity.
..
http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/rs/rak/cou...9/hypothet.htm

'Nasaraeans, meaning, "rebels," who forbid all flesh-eating,
and do not eat living things at all. They have the holy names
of patriarchs which are in the Pentateuch, up through Moses
and Joshua the son of Nun, and they believe in them-(2) I
mean Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and the earliest ones, and
Moses himself, and Aaron, and Joshua. But they hold
that the scriptures of the Pentateuch were not written by *
Moses, and maintain that they have others. (Epiphanius,
Panarion 1:19)
..
"The Nasaraeans - they were jews by nationality - originally
from Gileaditis (where the early followers of Yeshu-Maria
fled after the martyrdom of James the Lord's brother),
Bashanitis and the Transjordon . . . They acknowledged
Moses and believed that he had received laws - not this *
law, however, but some other. And so, they were jews
who kept all the Jewish observances, but they would not
offer sacrifice or eat meat. They considered it unlawful
to eat meat or make sacrifices with it. They claim that
these Books are fictions, and that none of these customs
were instituted by the fathers. This was the difference
between the Nasaraeans and the others. . . (Epiphanius,
Panarion 1:18)
http://essenes.net/sz17.htm

Matthew 2:23 "He shall be called a Nazarene."

['Versions of the word "Nazarene"
Matthew 2:23 uses the Greek word Nazoraios to refer
to Jesus; in English this has traditionally (e.g. in the
King James Bible) been translated as "Nazarene"
(plural "Nazarenes"). However Mark 1:24 refers to
Jesus as Nazarenos; in English this has traditionally
(e.g. in the King James Bible) been translated as
"of Nazareth"; however, because the correct Greek
form of "of Nazareth" would be Nazarethenos or
Nazarethaios, most modern translators prefer
"Nazarene" here as well. "Nazarene" is also spelled
in a variety of ways, including "Nazarean", "Nasarean",
"Nazorean", "Nasorean", "Nazaraean", "Nasaraean"
(plural "Nazarean", "Nasareans", "Nazoreans",
"Nasoreans", "Nazaraeans", "Nasaraeans"). Modern
groups which relate the Greek words Nazoraios and
Nazarenos to the Hebrew Netzer (branch or shoot)
prefer to use the transliteration Netzarim, the plural
form of Netzer. A common Arabic word for "Christian"
is Nasrani, believed to be derived from the same root
as Nazorean, ultimately Nozrim.
http://bibleocean.com/OmniDefinition/Nazarene ]

"They [the Ebionites] say that Christ was not begotten
of God the Father, but created as one of the archangels
... that he rules over the angels and all the creatures of
the Almighty, and that he came and declared, as their
Gospel, which is called Gospel according to Matthew,
or Gospel According to the Hebrews" reports: "I am
come to do away with sacrifices, and if you cease not
sacrificing, the wrath of God will not cease from you."
(Epiphanius, Panarion 30.16,4-5 )
..
http://www.answers.com/topic/gospel-of-the-hebrews

['The Gospel according to the Hebrews was a Gospel
which was once used by the Nazarenes and Ebionites.
Eusebius said that GH was "the especial delight of
those of the Hebrews who have accepted Messiah"
(Eccl. Hist. 3:25:5). When speaking of the Ebionites,
Epiphanius calls GH "their Gospel" (Pan. 30:16:4-5)
and Jerome refers to GH as "the Gospel which the
Nazarenes and Ebionites use" (On Mat. 12:13).
..
While there is no reason to presume that there were
three different Gospels called the Gospel according
to the Hebrews, it is certainly clear that Nazarenes and
Ebionites used different versions of GH. Epiphanius
describes the version of GH used by the Ebionites as
"called 'according to Matthew', which however is not
wholly complete but falsified and mutilated" (Pan. 30:13:2)
however in speaking of the Nazarenes he refers to the
"Gospel of Matthew quite complete in Hebrew. preserved.
as it was first written, in Hebrew letters" (Pan. 29:9:4).
So it would appear that the Ebionite version of GH
was "not wholly complete but falsified and mutilated"
while the Nazarene version was "quite complete.
preserved. as it was first written.".

http://www.jios.org/The%20Synoptic%20Solution_jt.html ]

'8. He also said, I am come to end the sacrifices and feasts
of blood, and if ye cease not offering and eating of flesh and
blood, the wrath of God shall not cease from you, even as it
came to your fathers in the wilderness, who lusted for flesh,
and they eat to their content, and were filled with rottenness,
and the plague consumed them.
http://reluctant-messenger.com/essen...htm#Lection210

Old 06-12-2005, 03:00 AM posted to alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian
usual suspect

pearl wrote:
---

Leviticus 11:42
42Whatsoever goeth upon the belly, and whatsoever
goeth upon all four, or whatsoever hath more feet
among all creeping things that creep upon the earth,
them ye shall not eat;

I have noted that this quote does not belong here.

It follows the part about which animals can be eaten:
Lev 11:2-3 "Speak to the sons of Israel, saying, 'These are the
creatures which you may eat from all the animals that are on the
earth. 'Whatever divides a hoof, thus making split hoofs, {and}
chews the cud, among the animals, that you may eat

Lev 11:9 'These you may eat, whatever is in the water: all that
have fins and scales, those in the water, in the seas or in the
rivers, you may eat.

Lev 11:21-22 'Yet these you may eat among all the winged insects
which walk on {all} fours: those which have above their feet
jointed legs with which to jump on the earth. 'These of them you
may eat: the locust in its kinds, and the devastating locust in
its kinds, and the cricket in its kinds, and the grasshopper in
its kinds.

No AR, no mandatory vegetarianism. You lose. Loser.