Posted to alt.food.vegan
Beach Runner

Default Workouts add years of health to life

Plus we know that arthritis sufferers do much better and the quality of
life is better, but rather that post my battle with US, we both agree on
exercise, so I thought this might be worth posting.

If anything, I think it understates the benefits, since there's a
difference between adding life and being healthy.

Study: Working out can add 4 years to your life
By ROB STEIN
Washington Post
Nov. 14, 2005

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nation/3460995.html

WASHINGTON - People who exercise regularly really do live longer.

People who get a good workout almost daily can add nearly four years
to their life spans, according to the first study to quantify the
impact of physical activity.

Researchers looked at records of more than 5,000 middle-aged and
elderly Americans and found that those who had moderate to high
levels of activity lived 1.3 to 3.7 years longer than those who got
little exercise, largely because they put off developing heart
disease — the nation's leading killer. Men and women benefited about
equally.

"This shows that physical activity really does make a difference —
not only for how long you live but for how long you live a healthy
life," said Oscar Franco of the Erasus M.C. University Medical Center
in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, who led the study published Monday in
the Archives of Internal Medicine.

Previous studies have found that being physically active reduces the
risk of being overweight and of developing many illnesses, improves
overall quality of life and lowers the mortality rate.

The new study is the first to calculate the effect on how long people
live.

Franco and his colleagues analyzed data from the Framingham Heart
Study, a well-known research project that has followed 5,209
residents of one Massachusetts town for more than 40 years,
collecting detailed information about their lifestyles and health.

People who engaged in moderate activity — the equivalent of walking
for 30 minutes a day for five days a week — lived about 1.3 to 1.5
years longer than those who were less active. Those who took on more
intense exercise — the equivalent of running half an hour a day for
five days every week — extended their lives by about 3.5 to 3.7 years.

Fidyl

BTW, I added FIDYL who does a lot to try and help people. A really good
person as the original poster.