Posted to alt.food.vegan
Beach Runner

Default American Heart Association Statement on High-Protein, Low-CarbohydrateDiet

American Heart Association Statement on High-Protein,
Low-Carbohydrate Diet Study Presented at Scientific Sessions
Media Advisory
11/19/2002

http://www.americanheart.org/present...tifier=3006728

Chicago, Nov. 19 -- Media reports about a small study funded by the
Robert C. Atkins Foundation may have created the erroneous impression
that the American Heart Association has revised its dietary
guidelines. This is not the case. This study was released as one of
over 3,600 abstracts presented at the American Heart Association’s
annual Scientific Sessions, a forum for the presentation of research
pertaining to heart disease and stroke for scientists and physicians.
These scientific abstracts do not represent official positions or
statements of the American Heart Association.

Here are the American Heart Association’s concerns with the study:

The study is very small, with only 120 total participants and just 60
on the high-fat, low carbohydrate diet.
This is a short-term study, following participants for just 6 months.
There is no evidence provided by this study that the weight loss
produced could be maintained long term.
There is no evidence provided by the study that the diet is effective
long term in improving health.
A high intake of saturated fats over time raises great concern about
increased cardiovascular risk – the study did not follow participants
long enough to evaluate this.
This study did not actually compare the Atkins diet with the current
AHA dietary recommendations.
“The American Heart Association has dietary guidelines, rather than a
rigid diet. These guidelines, revised in 2000, replaced the Step I
and Step II diet, which emphasized fat restriction. The current
guidelines, based on the best available evidence, emphasize a healthy
dietary pattern rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats,
fish and poultry, as well as low-fat dairy products,” says Robert O.
Bonow, M.D., the president of the American Heart Association. “It is
important to note that there is no single ‘American Heart Association
Diet.’ Rather there is a set of guidelines designed to be broad
enough to accommodate many different food preferences, as well as to
provide specific guidance for individuals with specific conditions.”

By way of contrast with this small study, a 12-year Harvard study
funded by the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute was also
reported at this meeting. This study of 74,000 women showed that
those who consumed more fruits and vegetables were 26 percent less
likely to become obese than women who ate fewer fruits and vegetables
over the same time period. “This is a much more compelling study
regarding weight control, because it involved many more individuals
over a much longer period,” says Bonow.

“Bottom line, the American Heart Association says that people who
want to lose weight and keep it off need to make lifestyle changes
for the long term – this means regular exercise and a balanced diet,”
he says. “People should not change their eating patterns based on
one very small, short-term study. Instead, we hope that the public
will continue to rely on the guidance of organizations such as the
American Heart Association which look at all the very best evidence
before formulating recommendations.”
Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley

Beach Runner wrote:
> American Heart Association Statement on High-Protein,
> Low-Carbohydrate Diet Study Presented at Scientific Sessions
> Media Advisory
> 11/19/2002
>
> http://www.americanheart.org/present...tifier=3006728
>
> Chicago, Nov. 19 -- Media reports about a small study funded by the
> Robert C. Atkins Foundation may have created the erroneous impression
> that the American Heart Association has revised its dietary
> guidelines. This is not the case.

oh swell. did you ever watch the performances of this "great
actor"

Posted to alt.food.vegan
usual suspect

Beach Runner wrote:
> American Heart Association Statement on High-Protein,
> Low-Carbohydrate Diet Study Presented at Scientific Sessions
> Media Advisory

Off-topic. This is a vegan newsgroup.
Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley
marika

wrote:

> > Chicago, Nov. 19 -- Media reports about a small study funded by the
> > Robert C. Atkins Foundation may have created the erroneous impression
> > that the American Heart Association has revised its dietary
> > guidelines. This is not the case.

> oh swell. did you ever watch the performances of this "great
> actor"

absolutely

here's a list of his oeuveres frmo
http://imdb.com/name/nm0040644/

The Tempest (1956) (TV) .... Caliban
The Merry Wives of Windsor (1952) (TV) .... Falstaff
The House in the Square (1951) .... Dr. Samuel Johnson
.... aka I'll Never Forget You (USA)
.... aka Man of Two Worlds

Black Magic (1949) .... King Louis XV
.... aka Cagliostro (Italy)
.... aka Spadaccini della serenissima, Gli (Italy: alternative title)
That Dangerous Age (1949) .... George Drummond
.... aka If This Be Sin (USA)
A Matter of Life and Death (1946) .... The Vicar
.... aka Stairway to Heaven (USA)
A Midsummer Night's Dream (1946) (TV) .... Bottom
The Great Mr. Handel (1942)
He Found a Star (1941) .... Frank Forrester

Johnson Was No Gentleman (1939) (TV) .... Samuel Johnson
Cæsar's Friend (1939) (TV) .... Caiaphas, the High Priest
Victoria the Great (1937)
Everything Is Thunder (1936) .... Adjutant
The Cardinal (1936) .... Gen. Belmont
Peg of Old Drury (1935) .... Dr. Johnson

Hamlet (1913) (as A. Roberts) .... Marcellus

He probably became concerned with health issues an ddiet when he made A
Matter of Life or Death

The opening sequence is quite good. his movie has the most beautiful
opening sequence ever made. David Niven uttering the immortal words
from Sir Walter Raleigh's The Pilgrimage:

Give me my scallop-shell of quiet, My staff of faith to walk upon, My
scrip of joy, immortal diet, My bottle of salvation, My gown of glory,
hope's true gage; And thus I'll take my pilgrimage (...)

On the other hand, I had a hard time understanding gladiator the movie

can you give me some insight?

mk5000

"check calendar. yes this is the fourth. movie opens, hosted
screening last night in Philly, escorted out of theater by a cop who'd
served n the gulf war and said he was going to see the movie over the
weekend"--jake gyllenhall

Posted to alt.food.vegan
Beach Runner

usual suspect wrote:
> Beach Runner wrote:
>
>> American Heart Association Statement on High-Protein,
>> Low-Carbohydrate Diet Study Presented at Scientific Sessions
>> Media Advisory

> Off-topic. This is a vegan newsgroup.

You write anti-vegan as if it's religious statement. You wrote that
only to try and insult me. Atkins is a pro meat eating, anti-vegan
group, and have recently claimed scientific proof of the health effects
of a horrendous diet.

I had some issues after a car accident, using FDA approved medications,
and you love to harp over this. It effected my typing and communication
skills. An undocumented side effect. It was abnormal, and unexpected.
It was not my fault I got hit by a car in a residential neighborhood.

I blended the FDA and AMA together not as a sign of age. They are two
similar mainstream conservative organization, that close much potential
progress. I write professionally and do state of the art software
engineering. My heart, arteries, and general health are that of someone
much younger than me. In fact, during a stress test they had never seen
anyone get to the levels I did. (Why did I have a stress test, a
cousin , a marathon runner had bypass surgery at 39. He's an editor for
a major magazine and writes their heart columns and convinced me to take
the test. My resting pulse rate is 44 from all my aerobics.

Why does the FDA retard progress?
An example, in Europe and Israel instead of doing horrendously painful
knee replacements, they simply replace the cartilage. The FDA does not
approve this procedure. I am trying to convince my mother go overseas
and not go through our barbaric treatments.

In fact, many people go to Israel, including the cost of transportation
to get procedures, and get superior treatment for less cost.
We won't even go into the seniors that go to Canada to purchase the same
medications at reduced costs.

We pay more in medications than other countries because of the FDA.
There is no reason for this except your holy profit.

Sadly, you exhibit mean, cantankerous, sick and insulting behavior.
You insult my intelligence simply to try and build your obviously
insecure self up. The obscenities you write to scented nectar are
disgusting and childish.

And yes, how to eat healthy and what is healthy is on topic in a Vegan
news group. The Atkins people pointed to that limited study as if it was
the proof they needed, when clearly a diet dominated with natural fruits
and vegetables, whole grains, and the correct amount of protein was a
healthier diet.

I've taken the real age tests and am far younger than my chronological
age. Even while recovering I can swim a mile, run several miles, play
professional level classical and jazz music and work as an engineer, a
field I accidentally fell into. Incidentally, Microsoft historically
hired many musicians because they were creative and intelligent, like me.

Recent MRI studies show that students trained in music develop
structures in their brain that are subsequently used in abstract
thinking. Yet our educational system instead is moving away from the
arts and drill and practice for stupid standardized tests.

It's no accident that the mostly vegetarian, Einstein's great love was
playing the violin. (Einstein was a vegetarian but gave into his wife's
belief that one should eat meat at Shabbot dinner). When Rubinstein
played at Princeton Einstein begged
him to play a concerto together. Finally Rubenstein, frustrated said,
"hat's the matter Einstein, can't you count?"

Yes, health is a holistic topic. One part is kindness to others,
something you clearly need psychological help with. I say this to help
you, as I have always acknowledged your talents and skills. But your
obsession with attempting to hurt others, is clearly and repeatedly
demonstrated. You put great effort into it. You'll research someone's
past posting because they are interested in something out of your
conservative norm in an attempt to hurt and ridicule them. THAT is
bizarre and sick behavior. Your obscenities to Scented Nector are
inappropriate. I hope you get help.

Posted to alt.food.vegan
usual suspect

Beach Runner wrote:
>>> American Heart Association Statement on High-Protein,
>>> Low-Carbohydrate Diet Study Presented at Scientific Sessions
>>> Media Advisory

>> Off-topic. This is a vegan newsgroup.

> You write anti-vegan as if it's religious statement.

WTF are you rambling about now?

> You wrote that only to try and insult me.

You have some really thin skin, you putz. The article you pasted had
NOTHING whatsoever to do with veganism.

> I had some issues after a car accident,

No kidding. You should get some couch time.

> using FDA approved medications,
> and you love to harp over this. It effected my typing and communication
> skills. An undocumented side effect.

Warnings against using your drugs when operating heavy machinery, etc.,
also apply when using computers because they impair your motor skills.

<snip rambling bullshit (maybe you should find something else to do when
you're on your drugs)>
Posted to alt.food.vegan
Joe

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 16:18:55 GMT, usual suspect >
wrote:

><snip rambling bullshit (maybe you should find something else to do when
>you're on your drugs)>

Speaking of BS, you must have at home a monkey [trained in your image]
to do poop and scoop duties for all the crap that floods out of your
ears and mouth.