Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
Dave

Default recipes

I quite like my ratatouille. Saute finely sliced onion, tomato,
aubergene
(eggplant), courgette(zuchini) and yellow pepper in a little olive oil
at very
low temperature for as long as it takes for them all to go soft ~30
minutes.
Add generous quantities of mixed dried herbs and freshly ground black
pepper
either during or after cooking. They are what 'makes the dish'. You can
add a
little water if necessary but it shouldn't be. I normally serve with
brown rice or
barley and greens.

Another dish I like is nut roast. Saute a selection of vegetables;
onions, garlic,
tomatoes, mushrooms, sweetcorn, carrots and mixed beansprouts, parsnips
and
aubergenes, spinach, and pre-soaked arame or hijiki are all examples of
vegetables
that work reasonably well. Stir in a little flour. I usually use a
mixture of toasted soya
and wholewheat. Slowly add some water while constantly stirring to
avoid lumps.
Remove from the heat. Then grind some nuts and/or seeds (eg hazels
almonds,
cashews, sesame, sunflower, pumpkin). Add breadcrumbs, and if desired
soya source
and/or dried herbs.

To give an idea of balance the recipe I adapted this from had 3tbs
oil, 3 portions of
vegetables, 1/2 cup flour and 2/3 cup water 2/3 cup water, 1tbs soya
source,
1 1/2 cups of nuts and, 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs. I like to use
relatively more vegetables,
relatively less flour and water and as little oil as I can get away
with. Bake in a
bread tin or pie dish for ~45minutes to 1 hour at gas mark 4 (180C). I
recommend
roast potatoes and lightly steamed brocolli as good accompaniments.